• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Industrial Revolution 2000 years ago?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Imagine if Heron of Alexandria's steam machine had been adobted by the Roman public.

Much of the ancient technology went unutilised just to disappear,just imagine where we would be today had it been embraced by people of the time,or would we have self destructed a long time ago?

Imagine if Heron of Alexandria's steam machine had been adobted by the Roman public.

I know. But that would have made them less powerful then they were (to themselves). Oh my! a foreigner built such a machine, we cannot accept this.. this would make us less powerful etc etc.

That would be really, really weird if they did accept it.

Arch Enemy said:
I know. But that would have made them less powerful then they were (to themselves). Oh my! a foreigner built such a machine, we cannot accept this.. this would make us less powerful etc etc.

That would be really, really weird if they did accept it.

Heron's inventions were used extensively by the Romans. I'm not sure, but I believe he was a Roman citizen, Alexandria was a part of the Roman empire after all, I believe the real reason why it was not implemented was because of the use of slave labor which was cheap and plentiful at the time, this eliminated the necessity for automation in construction of goods and the like.

Well, we saw what ignorant brute force did to science and culture when Sparta took Athens, throwing the region into another 900-1000 years of illiteracy.

Heron's inventions were used extensively by the Romans. I'm not sure, but I believe he was a Roman citizen, Alexandria was a part of the Roman empire after all, I believe the real reason why it was not implemented was because of the use of slave labor which was cheap and plentiful at the time, this eliminated the necessity for automation in construction of goods and the like.

The Romans didn't consider people outside of Latium area as "citizens". They were subjects, under Roman Authority. They were also considered inferior, for they were the more recent opponents of the Roman Empire.

The Romans did like technology and the advancement in this area. They thought that if they could stop the advancement of techonology they'd always be the greatest Empire.

if only egos were not invovled...

Arch Enemy said:
The Romans didn't consider people outside of Latium area as "citizens". They were subjects, under Roman Authority. They were also considered inferior, for they were the more recent opponents of the Roman Empire.

The Romans did like technology and the advancement in this area. They thought that if they could stop the advancement of techonology they'd always be the greatest Empire.

Romans stopped the advancment of tech? Rome industry and engineering was pretty interesting tonight on the history channel, I suggest you watch it.

Athens still stands, Sparta has gone the way of the unicorn, Athens won in the long run.
After a 1000 year setback

Back
Top Bottom