• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Indoor dining to resume in New Jersey this week, governor says

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Indoor dining to resume in New Jersey this week, governor says - Reuters

(Reuters) - New Jersey restaurants may open their indoor dining areas to patrons later this week for the first time since the state shut down most of its commerce when the coronavirus pandemic erupted in March, Governor Phil Murphy said on Monday.

The number of diners must be limited to 25% of the restaurant’s capacity and tables must be spaced in accordance with social-distancing rules when indoor dining resumes on Friday, Murphy said.
======================================================================
I wonder how long this will last. It sounds too good to be true. I'm not phoning to make any dinner reservations just yet.

“Reopening responsibly will help us restore one of our state’s key industries while continuing to make progress against #COVID19,” Murphy wrote on Twitter.

Last edited:

(Reuters) - New Jersey restaurants may open their indoor dining areas to patrons later this week for the first time since the state shut down most of its commerce when the coronavirus pandemic erupted in March, Governor Phil Murphy said on Monday.

The number of diners must be limited to 25% of the restaurant’s capacity and tables must be spaced in accordance with social-distancing rules when indoor dining resumes on Friday, Murphy said.
I wonder how long this will last. It sounds too good to be true. I'm not phoning to make any dinner reservations just yet.

“Reopening responsibly will help us restore one of our state’s key industries while continuing to make progress against #COVID19,” Murphy wrote on Twitter.

A bit of an experiment. People sitting at a table shouldn't be any diff than people sitting around at home. So, that's really no diff. Table separation, fine. But the enclosed space, breathing the same air, is a risk. Sooner or later, risk like this has to be taken. I'll phone-in for outdoor seating.

It’s my understanding that the restaurant business is low margin. They need asses in seats and for the seats to turnover. How does a restaurant operate a low margin business at 25% capacity?

It’s my understanding that the restaurant business is low margin. They need asses in seats and for the seats to turnover. How does a restaurant operate a low margin business at 25% capacity?

Yes, it is low margin. Most of the profit comes from bar proceeds - higher margin.

Just do curbside pickup.

It's like people think they can magic their way around spreading this ****. I would not be surprised to see another hard shutdown.

Just do curbside pickup.

It's like people think they can magic their way around spreading this ****. I would not be surprised to see another hard shutdown.

You can't order drinks to go in NJ or PA. But I agree with you. This is just asking for trouble.

You can't order drinks to go in NJ or PA. But I agree with you. This is just asking for trouble.

Can you drink at home in NJ? I think that I saw it on the Sopranos a couple times. Of course, that was fiction and he was a mob boss.

The numbers have been tracking rather consistently, so this was going to be inevitable; and I hope the trends continue so restaurants can start making their recoveries as well. I have my concerns around indoor activities because the ventilation and location size plays a big part in this. I'll keep my fingers crossed people stick to the recommendations and see how that goes.

A bit of an experiment. People sitting at a table shouldn't be any diff than people sitting around at home. So, that's really no diff.
The problem is that by now, there really is no question that dozens of people sitting indoors long enough to eat a meal will spread the virus.

Restaurants are getting killed right now, most can't survive off of take-out and/or outdoor seating. However, it is all but certain this will result in an uptick in cases, so I can't imagine it will last more than a few months.

The problem is that by now, there really is no question that dozens of people sitting indoors long enough to eat a meal will spread the virus.

Restaurants are getting killed right now, most can't survive off of take-out and/or outdoor seating. However, it is all but certain this will result in an uptick in cases, so I can't imagine it will last more than a few months.

I'd think they'd know sooner than as long as a few mos. At-home is one of the highest risk situation of contracting COVID. At-home, less likely to wear masks, distance or refrain from touching. Hence, the high increase in CA and TX cases in areas where multi-gen families live in close-qtr hshld.

Back
Top Bottom