• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Indonesia's top Muslim body seeks ban on gay film fest

ric27

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Indonesia's top Muslim body seeks ban on gay film fest - Times LIVE

Q! is in its ninth edition and has become the biggest festival of its kind in Asia and the only one in the Muslim world, testifying to Indonesia's reputation as a moderate and generally tolerant country.

But religious intolerance has been on the rise in recent years, with the authorities unable or unwilling to prevent vigilante outfits from attacking and intimidating minority groups in the name of Islam.

Voices of Islamic conservatism are growing louder and more strident.

Communications Minister Tifatul Sembiring on Wednesday posted comments on microblogging website Twitter blaming "perverted sex acts" for the spread of AIDS, and quoted a Koranic verse about stoning homosexuals.

I don't define someone soley by one facet of their personality or life. Being homosexual doesn't make someone a bad person or less than human any more than being heterosexual means you aren't a ****tard.

I don't define someone soley by one facet of their personality or life. Being homosexual doesn't make someone a bad person or less than human any more than being heterosexual means you aren't a ****tard.

We had some Christians on campus saying pretty much the same stuff this week. AIDS is God punishing the wicked, they'll all burn in hell, blah blah blah. They were also denouncing EVILution. (sign written just like that)
Too bad adding "except when you're being a disp****" to the 1st amendment wouldn't really work. ;)

We had some Christians on campus saying pretty much the same stuff this week. AIDS is God punishing the wicked, they'll all burn in hell, blah blah blah. They were also denouncing EVILution. (sign written just like that)
Too bad adding "except when you're being a disp****" to the 1st amendment wouldn't really work. ;)
Christians run indonesia? noted.

Quiet, his post obviously wasn't angry enough and not aimed at muslims!

I think that he was pointing out that religious intolerance is not limited to one country and or faith.
Oh ok, that's cool, now relevency to the OP?

Religious intolerance.

Yes, muslims in indonesia are intolerant towards gays because they are...christian...

syntax error.

Did someone let a screaming child in the room.

All of the following are religions: ([Islam][Christianity])

However they are seperate, yet still following a religion each of them making them religious. Do you need a ****ing Venn diagram?

Did someone let a screaming child in the room.

All of the following are religions: ([Islam][Christianity])

However they are seperate, yet still following a religion each of them making them religious. Do you need a ****ing Venn diagram?
Yea, I know, I just don't see the point because it seems so irrelevant to the topic. Yes, christianity is a religion, islam is a religion, and i ****ing knew that since I was 12. What does that have anything to do with a muslim-dominated government in indonesia not liking gheys?

What's the big deal, everyone knows Muslims don't like homosexuality, and here we have a Muslim organisation speaking against it, why is this even a story?

Because everybody knows Islam is fundamentally evil, so any time we get an excuse to bash it, well, we must!

Even if we end up bashing Islam for things that American society is guilty of. :lol:

TED,
Who happens to think that if there's any one thing the good old U.S. of A should absolutely positively not be looking down our noses at, it's someone else's record on homosexuals and homosexuality, much less sexuality or gender issues in general.

I agree that generally one should never judge based on a single event or deed or proclivity depending on the severity of that deed as it relates to the laws of man or of God except Jesus tells us, "Judge you not lest you be judged," so that's out.
It's not up to us to decide unless it's about murder or some other serious crime then once convicted blame and then condemn away.

Do not condemn all Christians because of the deeds of a few who claim to be Christians, any more than we should believe that all Democrats are Radical Racists because the KKK was started by Democrats.

In this Forum there are a number of Liberals who have chosen to call themselves by another name in a vain attempt to hide their true nature.

However if we turn to the Mathew and Luke for example and I am paraphrasing, "you can tell if a tree is good by the fruit it bares. A good tree produces good fruit where as a bad tree produces bad fruit." The same is true of man.

A true Christian hates no man but he hates only the sin. The Bible tells us: And forgive your people that have sinned against you.

So anyone involved in hate crimes or even verbal attacks that condemn and advocate violence in any form are no more Christian than I'm the Easter Bunny.

Anybody got a carrot?

Last edited:
What's the big deal, everyone knows Muslims don't like homosexuality, and here we have a Muslim organisation speaking against it, why is this even a story?

It's really not much of a story, but it certainly reveals the degree of hypocrisy of so many who feel some need to defend it who wouldn't defend it UNLESS it were Muslim.

I agree that generally one should never judge based on a single event or deed or proclivity depending on the severity of that deed as it relates to the laws of man or of God except Jesus tells us, "Judge you not lest you be judged," so that's out.
It's not up to us to decide unless it's about murder or some other serious crime then once convicted blame and then condemn away.

Do not condemn all Christians because of the deeds of a few who claim to be Christians, any more than we should believe that all Democrats are Radical Racists because the KKK was started by Democrats.

In this Forum there are a number of Liberals who have chosen to call themselves by another name in a vain attempt to hide their true nature.

However if we turn to the Mathew and Luke for example and I am paraphrasing you can tell if a tree is good by the fruit it bares. A good tree produces good fruit where as a bad tree produces bad fruit. The same is true of man.

A true Christian hates no man but he hates only the sin. The Bible tells us: And forgive your people that have sinned against you.

So anyone involved in hate crimes or even verbal attacks that condemn and advocate violence in any form are no more Christian than I'm the Easter Bunny.

Anybody got a carrot?

Every time someone points out Muslims in power doing something most here would not agree with you always have a lib claiming a personal experience or citiing some vague event where they saw some Christians behaving badly.

See they have to equate Islam and Christianity as equally bad to ignore the truth.

Every time someone points out Muslims in power doing something most here would not agree with you always have a lib claiming a personal experience or citiing some vague event where they saw some Christians behaving badly.

See they have to equate Islam and Christianity as equally bad to ignore the truth.

WHat are you talking about? Islam is a MUCH better religion.

WHat are you talking about? Islam is a MUCH better religion.

I'll take the Christian side nearly every time against the Islamic and atheistic sides, simply because Christian culture has given the West so much (our freedom, for one). A failure to recognize that is a failure to understand history, and a dangerous failure to see a possible future.

How long do you think an atheist West will stand against a Jihadist East? Not too long, witness Europe in the near future if you don't believe me.

Last edited:
I'll take the Christian side nearly every time against the Islamic and atheistic sides, simply because Christian culture has given the West so much (our freedom, for one). A failure to recognize that is a failure to understand history, and a dangerous failure to see a possible future.

How long do you think an atheist West will stand against a Jihadist East? Not too long, witness Europe in the near future if you don't believe me.

Actually Christian culture has harmed the west more than anything. Mainly due to the 1000 years of darkness and stagnation that occurred under christian rule. That only ended once the Renaissance came about with more secular influences. Also many freedoms that the United States has now would not fly under Christian rule. Mainly freedom of religion and speech.

Last edited:

Hahahah. Freedom. Please. Every think of the CHILDREN law in existence is because of the Christian groups who try their damndest to make sure nobody has too much fun or is too well educated.

Hahahah. Freedom. Please. Every think of the CHILDREN law in existence is because of the Christian groups who try their damndest to make sure nobody has too much fun or is too well educated.

The nanny state left has always joined the bible thumpers in their crusades against the entertainment industry.

It's almost like it's getting harder and harder and harder to find people on either side of the isle actually interested in respecting freedom i ngeneral, as a pose to respecting the freedoms they find morally acceptable.

It's almost like it's getting harder and harder and harder to find people on either side of the isle actually interested in respecting freedom i ngeneral, as a pose to respecting the freedoms they find morally acceptable.

Thats because most people believe some animals are more equal than other animals.

I reminded of this quote

"People want less government in their lives but more government in their neighbors' lives"

I too do not understand why do people have to post it every time an Islamic country is showing intolerance towards homosexuals.
It's not like there's one single Islamic country out there that doesn't, it's a waste of bandwidth.

I too do not understand why do people have to post it every time an Islamic country is showing intolerance towards homosexuals.
It's not like there's one single Islamic country out there that doesn't, it's a waste of bandwidth.

I dont think Turkey or Lebannon dont have much of a problem with them. In the guise of the law anyway.

Back
Top Bottom