• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Indoctrination' fears prompt Florida Department of Education to reject the most textbooks in Florida history

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Officials with the Florida Department of Education say they rejected 41% of math instructional materials submitted for consideration to the state — the most in its history. According to the department, the rejected materials either didn't align with state standards or contained prohibited topics, like critical race theory. ...The release said 71% of submitted materials were rejected for grades K-5; 20% were rejected for grades 6-8; and 35% were rejected for grades 9-12.A total of 28 books were not adopted because the state claims they incorporated prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, like CRT.

"It seems that some publishers attempted to slap a coat of paint on an old house built on the foundation of Common Core, and indoctrinating concepts like race essentialism, especially, bizarrely, for elementary school students," Gov. Ron DeSantis is quoted as saying in a release from the FLDOE.

Morgan Polikoff is an associate professor of education with the University of Southern California's Rossier School of Education. Polikoff studies curriculum policy, which he said includes how states decide what textbooks to adopt. He said ..."I don't think that there's really any evidence that critical race theory is filtering into K-12 textbooks that I'm aware of...Florida and many other states have passed various kinds of restrictions relating to what kinds of content appears in curriculum materials and teachers' instruction, and critical race theory is definitely a concern....So, it doesn't surprise me that a textbook evaluation in Florida might find evidence of critical race theory in textbooks, but I think a different committee in a different state that didn't have such concern would probably not find evidence.""

Link

One notices the way the governor portrays the deceitful nefariousness of these rejected books, as if there is some sort of hidden conspiracy afoot. This suggests an element of paranoia, which the professor suggests in his observation that what they are seeing in these books might not actually be there at all.

I'm wondering if it's the "=" sign in math books that have these right-wing kooks up in arms.

White Florida Republicans are not really concerned with 'indoctrination'.
It is really that it is not their brand of indoctrination.
The entire fear mongering over CRT seems to be the Florida Republicans newest culture war.

"ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Officials with the Florida Department of Education say they rejected 41% of math instructional materials submitted for consideration to the state — the most in its history. According to the department, the rejected materials either didn't align with state standards or contained prohibited topics, like critical race theory. ...The release said 71% of submitted materials were rejected for grades K-5; 20% were rejected for grades 6-8; and 35% were rejected for grades 9-12.A total of 28 books were not adopted because the state claims they incorporated prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, like CRT.

"It seems that some publishers attempted to slap a coat of paint on an old house built on the foundation of Common Core, and indoctrinating concepts like race essentialism, especially, bizarrely, for elementary school students," Gov. Ron DeSantis is quoted as saying in a release from the FLDOE.

Morgan Polikoff is an associate professor of education with the University of Southern California's Rossier School of Education. Polikoff studies curriculum policy, which he said includes how states decide what textbooks to adopt. He said ..."I don't think that there's really any evidence that critical race theory is filtering into K-12 textbooks that I'm aware of...Florida and many other states have passed various kinds of restrictions relating to what kinds of content appears in curriculum materials and teachers' instruction, and critical race theory is definitely a concern....So, it doesn't surprise me that a textbook evaluation in Florida might find evidence of critical race theory in textbooks, but I think a different committee in a different state that didn't have such concern would probably not find evidence.""

Link

One notices the way the governor portrays the deceitful nefariousness of these rejected books, as if there is some sort of hidden conspiracy afoot. This suggests an element of paranoia, which the professor suggests in his observation that what they are seeing in these books might not actually be there at all.

I'm wondering if it's the "=" sign in math books that have these right-wing kooks up in arms.

Alright, the bolded was pretty good! ;)

Link

You are, of course, making the as of yet unproven assumption that these publishers aren't injecting politics into these texts.

I've not yet found a story citing examples. The most I've found so far is an NY Post article with this photo:

1650120629528.png

If those are from elementary school textbooks, then the FL DOE has a point.

They are finding CRT in math textbooks? What kind of drugs are they smoking in Florida?
"If Johnny has 5 apples gained from the labor of an exploited workforce, and Susie has 3 she grew herself, how many apples much Johnny give Susie to overcome the racial inequities inherent in the system and atone for 200 years of oppression and genocide?

And also make a delicious tart?"

AHA LIBZ WE R ON TO U N UR "WHITE MENZ R BAD" PROPAGANDA!!!

You are, of course, making the as of yet unproven assumption that these publishers aren't injecting politics into these texts.

I've not yet found a story citing examples. The most I've found so far is an NY Post article with this photo:

View attachment 67385897

What's the problem?

Right wingers gonna act like it's a coincidence that a record number of challenges to books by non-white authors have happened with these "anti-CRT" laws.

Maybe one of them wants to explain why George Takei's book on growing up in a concentration camp was banned?

View attachment 67385897

Insidious! But is it math?

Link

LOL. The "professor" hasn't actually looked at the books rejected by Florida. So who is the paranoid one seeing things that are not actually there?

Good one, jb

Because we live in the freest nation in the world, everyone should realize the ""=" sign means equality for all - not equity where everything is supposed to be equal.

Good one, jb

Because we live in the freest nation in the world, everyone should realize the ""=" sign means equality for all - not equity where everything is supposed to be equal.

Just don't say gay, right?

Link

Math books?

Seriously?

They are rejecting math books?

Wow. The children in Florida and other red states are being so cheated out of a proper education.

What is racial about math?

Link

Finding CRT in math books? How much crack does that take?

A great way to indoctrinate is to eliminate what you don't want people to know and what is left is all they have to learn. The antithesis of education.
Yup. Yet another case of republicans doing what they accuse others of.

Back
Top Bottom