• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Individuality and freedom are values that made America great...

I am here for this.

...but so are discipline, self-sacrifice, and community.

Man up. Save a life. Think of somebody other than yourself.

That's easy to say if you're rich or can work at home. You don't have a trace of empathy for the many millions who lost their jobs and businesses and are now poverty stricken. Why should you care?

That's easy to say if you're rich or can work at home. You don't have a trace of empathy for the many millions who lost their jobs and businesses and are now poverty stricken. Why should you care?

Good4, I completely sympathize with that. I'm very much in favor of increased government help for those who are affected financially by the pandemic. I'm not talking about "bread lines"--I'm talking about checks to cover food and utilities. My fellow conservatives might accuse me of advocating a "minimum income"-type program, but letting people suffer financially is making this pandemic even worse.

I'm kinda wondering about the empathy of McConnell who has decided to give a whole lot of Americans, many Republican, eviction notices for Christmas.

And without the politicization of mitigation efforts we wouldn't be as deep in the shit as we are. We have found what works and what doesn't now. Had we been working together the whole time we wouldn't be suffering from as much fatigue.

Trump owns this mess, along with all of those who enabled him out of fear of his base.

Good4, I completely sympathize with that. I'm very much in favor of increased government help for those who are affected financially by the pandemic. I'm not talking about about "bread lines"--I'm talking about checks to cover food and utilities. My fellow conservatives might accuse me of advocating a "minimum income"-type program, but letting people suffer financially is making this pandemic even worse.
And we should remember that the reason the economy was as healthy as it was at first was the stimulous money in people's pockets. Because it didn't stay there and kept the economy "primed" as it moved through it.

You don't have to be rich to wear a mask, stay away from large gatherings and postpone travel, weddings and other get togethers. Eat outside or don't go to restaurants. Drink outside or don't go to bars. Just use your common sense. Wear a mask and stay away from people. I'm actually saving money right now.

Good4, I completely sympathize with that. I'm very much in favor of increased government help for those who are affected financially by the pandemic. I'm not talking about "bread lines"--I'm talking about checks to cover food and utilities. My fellow conservatives might accuse me of advocating a "minimum income"-type program, but letting people suffer financially is making this pandemic even worse.

Handouts don't make up for ruining someone's life. This country is already broker than broke and can't afford infinite handouts. It would have been better to leave people alone.

And we should remember that the reason the economy was as healthy as it was at first was the stimulous money in people's pockets. Because it didn't stay there and kept the economy "primed" as it moved through it.

Stimulus money doesn't make a healthy economy. Communism doesn't work. Lockdowns to infinity is insane.

You can work all you want. We have people whining non-stop about wearing masks and who are unwilling to put off going to church, political rallies or protests relating to questionable grievances.

Handouts don't make up for ruining someone's life. This country is already broker than broke and can't afford infinite handouts. It would have been better to leave people alone.

I know what you mean, but I think we could afford it through the pandemic. We could temporarily take money from other projects, such as environmental concerns, "the wall," and even from our military reserve (no pun intended). Again, this would not be a permanent thing, but just through the pandemic.

Stimulus money doesn't make a healthy economy. Communism doesn't work. Lockdowns to infinity is insane.
Did I say if made a healthy economy? No I did not.

What I said is what a lot of economists as well as the Wall Street. That the stimulous kept things chugging along. We didn't lose the components of the economy that cause depressions.

Nor did I say anything hmthat could be construed as an argument for communism.

And finally I never advocated for eternal lockdowns. Never once. Anywhere. Feel free to look.

You can work all you want. We have people whining non-stop about wearing masks and who are unwilling to put off going to church, political rallies or protests relating to questionable grievances.

Oh church, yeah how worthless and stupid wanting to go to church. You Democrats really love to show off your ugly side.

I know what you mean, but I think we could afford it through the pandemic. We could temporarily take money from other projects, such as environmental concerns, "the wall," and even from our military reserve (no pun intended). Again, this would not be a permanent thing, but just through the pandemic.

When or if the pandemic ever ends those businesses will still be destroyed. There is nothing to take money from, when the country is broker than broke. Most Americans are ignoring the financial news. And ultra progressives like AOC recommend infinite money printing to pay for anything and everything anyone wants or needs. That sounds like a crazy plan, but they're already doing it -- just that the money goes to bail out giant investment banks, instead of small businesses.

I wouldn't hesitate to advocate a GNI program, in lieu of our myriad of other social programs. I don't believe in income-based social programs. They're fraught with fraud. If a benefit is worth giving, it is worth making available to all citizens equally. I say instate a small GNI, have national healthcare, dump everything else, and watch the economy & entrepreneurship take-off!

Oh church, yeah how worthless and stupid wanting to go to church. You Democrats really love to show off your ugly side.

Yes, it serves no actual purpose, and you can pray at home and listen to your preacher over Zoom. Was the Greatest Generation going to church every Sunday during 1944 when they were freezing in their foxholes?

Yes, it serves no actual purpose, and you can pray at home and listen to your preacher over Zoom. Was the Greatest Generation going to church every Sunday during 1944 when they were freezing in their foxholes?

Some of you are pure evil.

When or if the pandemic ever ends those businesses will still be destroyed. There is nothing to take money from, when the country is broker than broke. Most Americans are ignoring the financial news. And ultra progressives like AOC recommend infinite money printing to pay for anything and everything anyone wants or needs. That sounds like a crazy plan, but they're already doing it -- just that the money goes to bail out giant investment banks, instead of small businesses.

Well, I'm not talking about increasing our debt--I'm talking about taking money from other projects--just enough to keep individuals afloat until the vaccine has neutralized the virus. The amount each family would get would be based on the number of members. Only those who need it (essentially the middle and lower classes) would get the money.

As far as bailing out businesses, that's a matter that you likely know more about than I do. My main concern is with families.

I wouldn't hesitate to advocate a GNI program, in lieu of our myriad of other social programs. I don't believe in income-based social programs. They're fraught with fraud. If a benefit is worth giving, it is worth making available to all citizens equally. I say instate a small GNI, have national healthcare, dump everything else, and watch the economy & entrepreneurship take-off!

Nonsensical fantasy. Giving money to everyone, need it or not, requires ever more money printing and results in ever more inflation. Money is not the same thing as wealth and value. Money is only a symbol, and creating a fake economy by infinite money printing just makes the economy sicker and sicker until it finally dies.

Yes, Chomsky, if we can afford that, I'm in favor of it!

Well, I'm not talking about increasing our debt--I'm talking about taking money from other projects--just enough to keep individuals afloat until the vaccine has neutralized the virus. The amount each family would get would be based on the number of members. Only those who need it (essentially the middle and lower classes) would get the money.

As far as bailing out businesses, that's matter that you likely know more about than I do. My main concern is with families.

I don't think you understand the magnitude of the expense of supporting everyone. There is nowhere to take it from, as far as I know. Progressives think defense is a waste of money but it's actually the most important thing our central government does. Yes, I'm sure the corruption is terrible, it's terrible in all aspects of our government. I think fighting corruption should have been the main thing in all the presidential campaigns, but of course it's barely mentioned.

There is no simple way to get the money needed to bailout suffering families, unless you can get rid of corruption, and no one knows how to do that.

Yes, Chomsky, if we can afford that, I'm in favor of it!

We can't afford anything. The economy was actually tanking months before the pandemic, thanks to Fed bailouts and QE in the previous crisis. Some think the pandemic was a convenient excuse for more bailouts and QE.

What we need to do right now is go back in time before the subprime loan crisis and not let the Fed do its thing.

That would be where the community comes in, to help those who lost jobs because of Covid 19

I don't think you understand the magnitude of the expense of supporting everyone. There is nowhere to take it from, as far as I know. Progressives think defense is a waste of money but it's actually the most important thing our central government does. Yes, I'm sure the corruption is terrible, it's terrible in all aspects of our government. I think fighting corruption should have been the main thing in all the presidential campaigns, but of course it's barely mentioned.

There is no simple way to get the money needed to bailout suffering families, unless you can get rid of corruption, and no one knows how to do that.

Well, Good 4, one thing to consider is that we're not talking about giving money to everybody. For example, those in upper-income brackets will be excluded, as will people on Social Security and welfare. Exclusions will also include people whose jobs have not be affected by the pandemic.

I honestly think it's something we can afford (through reallocation), but we might just have to disagree about that. I openly admit that economics isn't (aren't?) my strong suit, so you might be right. I know I sometimes think with my heart, and even then it sometimes skips a beat ( :) ).

Back
Top Bottom