• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Indies and Dems: What say your GOP friends about voting Republican in elections from now to 2020?

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
After working out this morning, I pedalled over to the club for breakfast, and there I bumped into and dined with a GOP old friend of 35+ years. Briefly, our chat turned to politics, and I asked him if he could see himself voting for Republican candidates for Congress.

"Not anyone like the cowards we currently have. They'd have to the fortitude to openly form a caucus, however small, to rebuke Trump and follow through with decisive actions against his bêtise. The clowns there now care more about their re-electability than the country, and I can't abide that...Mark 8:36 and all, ya know..." My friend sees Trump as a cancer, a pox, a gangrenous affliction besetting not only the GOP but also the nation and world.

I was taken aback for my friend has been a Republican since our days in college when he was active with the College Republican club. He and I generally concurred on economic policy and ethics, but not on social policy; however, he never was a zealot -- he and I never'd have become friends were he. Still, his abject abjurance of the GOP until Trump's gone from it was surprising.

If you're among the non-conservatives here:
  • Had similar conversations with your GOP friends? If so, what were their thoughts?

After working out this morning, I pedalled over to the club for breakfast, and there I bumped into and dined with a GOP old friend of 35+ years. Briefly, our chat turned to politics, and I asked him if he could see himself voting for Republican candidates for Congress.

"Not anyone like the cowards we currently have. They'd have to the fortitude to openly form a caucus, however small, to rebuke Trump and follow through with decisive actions against his bêtise. The clowns there now care more about their re-electability than the country, and I can't abide that...Mark 8:36 and all, ya know..." My friend sees Trump as a cancer, a pox, a gangrenous affliction besetting not only the GOP but also the nation and world.

I was taken aback for my friend has been a Republican since our days in college when he was active with the College Republican club. He and I generally concurred on economic policy and ethics, but not on social policy; however, he never was a zealot -- he and I never'd have become friends were he. Still, his abject abjurance of the GOP until Trump's gone from it was surprising.

• Had similar conversations with your GOP friends? If so, what were their thoughts?

Most of the folks I personally know that did vote GOP, did so because of the individual and not Trump. Most of my friends and family did vote Dem this time around and helped turn Nevada back to blue. Dems won big in Nevada.

My old boss who now is a business partner, evangelical Texan entrepreneur, very conservative.
He thought the Bush/Neocons were bad.
He thinks Trump is a complete disaster.
His take is that politics attracts the worst, those seeing power, and celebrity, through a popularity contest. I told him he should run for office, and he just laughed.
No idea if he voted for Trump or not, but he opened up ridiculing him so I have a feeling he didn't.

My parents, bless their hearts, are full-on fox/right wing media junkies. Everything they say is nonsensical parroting and there are no "reasonable" discussions I can have with them. I had to encourage my mom to stop making everything partisan a few times at TGiving.
I mention my daughters school, she says everyone gets a trophy. I say that's absurd and has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
I mentioned a netflix movie, she says she cancelled netflix because stuff.
I talk about math homework, she blames it on she can't remember, I offer up "common core?" That's it! I say, "no it's not, that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about".

It's like anything right wing media touches is corrupted in the brain, it's very sad. Fortunately no big fights this holiday. Before Fox, never had to worry about that...enemy of the people quite literally.

Boss still strong Trump supporter. most senior co-workers still strong Trump supporter. Dad still Trump supporter. Uncle still thinks Trump is second coming. My mom might be finally wavering though.

Of the three brothers that I can talk politics with, all three are stanch GOPers. One would not vote for president in 2016 as he would not vote for Trump, but also would not vote for any Dem. the other two seemed to hold their noses and voted for trump. They say they voted for the party and not for Trump, but must realize by now they are one and the same. They are one or two issue voters. A bortion and guns seem to be their issues.

My old boss who now is a business partner, evangelical Texan entrepreneur, very conservative.
He thought the Bush/Neocons were bad.
He thinks Trump is a complete disaster.
His take is that politics attracts the worst, those seeing power, and celebrity, through a popularity contest. I told him he should run for office, and he just laughed.
No idea if he voted for Trump or not, but he opened up ridiculing him so I have a feeling he didn't.

My parents, bless their hearts, are full-on fox/right wing media junkies. Everything they say is nonsensical parroting and there are no "reasonable" discussions I can have with them. I had to encourage my mom to stop making everything partisan a few times at TGiving.
I mention my daughters school, she says everyone gets a trophy. I say that's absurd and has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
I mentioned a netflix movie, she says she cancelled netflix because stuff.
I talk about math homework, she blames it on she can't remember, I offer up "common core?" That's it! I say, "no it's not, that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about".

It's like anything right wing media touches is corrupted in the brain, it's very sad. Fortunately no big fights this holiday. Before Fox, never had to worry about that...enemy of the people quite literally.

TY for sharing the remarks, albethy paraphrased, you've received in specific conversations.

My immediate family members, save for one, still love Trump. "He's doing great for the economy", is their rationale. They are (or perhaps were) life-long Democrats, for the record.

My wife no longer likes Trump personally, but still strongly supports his immigration policies. At least she seems to be drifting away from him as a person, and even mocks & belittles him these days. I'm thinking & hoping she may have turned the corner on him.

My neighbors are a mixed bag, with no one seemingly changing their tribe, but instead becoming more deeply entrenched within. Common facts between us, much less common ground, are becoming harder and harder to find. Perhaps most sadly with my neighbors, for the first time I seem to be seeing a values gap; a difference in the very core things in life, including life itself. I find this pretty scary, to be honest.

Could your friend geographically, demographically, and politically, be in the mold of the "Rockefeller Republicans"? Who in essence were not greatly different than the "JFK Democrats"? Both old-school moderates, who see unity & compromise as the way to move the country forward to further greatness?

I am fortunate that quite a few of the Republicans I deal with are of that ilk. I find them very relateable, even if we may disagree on specific policy and some ideology. I cannot relate to the hard-core Trumpers at all.

Also, at least in my professional & business associations, I believe I'm seeing a reticence to identify as Trump supporters. I can fully understand and appreciate this, as I strictly do not talk politics when among business associates and clients or prospective clients.

Could your friend geographically, demographically, and politically, be in the mold of the "Rockefeller Republicans"? Who in essence were not greatly different than the "JFK Democrats"? Both old-school moderates, who see unity & compromise as the way to move the country forward to further greatness?

I am fortunate that quite a few of the Republicans I deal with are of that ilk. I find them very relateable, even if we may disagree on specific policy and some ideology. I cannot relate to the hard-core Trumpers at all.

Also, at least in my professional & business associations, I believe I'm seeing a reticence to identify as Trump supporters. I can fully understand and appreciate this, as I strictly do not talk politics when among business associates and clients or prospective clients.

Yes, that's a reasonable enough way to describe him.

I have quite a few friends who are Republican, and I myself used to vote the GOP party line. Of my Republican friends, only one is really a Trumpeteer, and we don't talk politics. Others had voted for Trump (though I did convince two of my buddies to vote Libertarian instead), but mostly because they're Republican and didn't want to vote for Hillary. I mean, I didn't want to vote for her either (and didn't), but there's no way in hell I could have brought myself to vote for Trump. We will talk politics and policies from time to time because they aren't as insane as Trumpeteers.

Yes, that's a reasonable enough way to describe him.
I'm sadly beginning to believe that the further we get away from the war (WWII), the less we desire to work together as Americans. And I'm very saddened by this (at so many levels).

Back
Top Bottom