• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Indictment: 3 plotted to kill U.S. soldiers

And you premise for debate is .... ?

[drum roll please]

Simon W. Moon said:
[drum roll please]

This happened around Toledo, where I am. Local news had it first.

I would like to thank GWB and all those members of the Executive Branch involved with this for keeping whatever these guys were planning to do from happening in my backyard.

:good_job:

Simon W. Moon said:

[drum roll please]

It's simply breaking news...wasn't sure if anyone was aware of the situation. I don't really have a debate angle as of yet as it's still unfolding. Although, being from Northwest Ohio it's a bit shocking to say the least. Especially since I work in Toledo and obviously drive there everyday. I actually live in a small town about an hour south. I work for a major railroad and we could easily become a target. Right now, I just have a lot of mixed emotions.

Was a little curious to see what others might have to say about the situation.

Simon W. Moon said:

[drum roll please]

"Well, it happened, and I was the first one to say so. Doesn't that count?"

Anyways, something I don't understand. These cells of people here in the US who are looking to aid terror overseas, make bombs to send over there, etc. Why are they focusing over there?

Something I honestly can't figure out is how there hasn't been even a small scale domestic attack here in the US since 9/11. Aside from the 5-5-05 "grenade attack" (We'll never forget you!), nothing's happened. If there are really this many people who believe in attacking the US, and are willing to take action, risking their lives to do so, how come they haven't done it here? Seems to me like a bomb in a shopping mall in a small town would do a lot more damage to US morale/economy/sense of safety than a bomb in Fallujah. I don't really know what to attribute this to, or what it says about the success of counterterrorism efforts, if anything at all. Any thoughts would be more than welcome.

I'm right there with you RightatNYU...

As I said before, I work for a major railroad and we haul LP Gas among other flamables and explosives. Plus a forced derailment in a residential area...?...just freaks me out. The rail yard I work at is right in the middle of the "hood." We've had guys stabbed and shot at. Now, there's terrorists right in our backyard. It's a little disconcerting.

Mark A Shrider said:
I'm right there with you RightatNYU...

As I said before, I work for a major railroad and we haul LP Gas among other flamables and explosives. Plus a forced derailment in a residential area...?...just freaks me out. The rail yard I work at is right in the middle of the "hood." We've had guys stabbed and shot at. Now, there's terrorists right in our backyard. It's a little disconcerting.

I also work woth the railroads - in and around Toledo - and you arent kidding.
Anywhere in the US, the opportunity for a massive terrorist attack involving just the stuff they find already on the rail is staggering.

But even less than that -- what would terrorize the American people more than driving gaoline tankers into our schools?

And yet, it doesnt happen.

Goobieman said:
I also work woth the railroads - in and around Toledo - and you arent kidding.
Anywhere in the US, the opportunity for a massive terrorist attack involving just the stuff they find already on the rail is staggering.

But even less than that -- what would terrorize the American people more than driving gaoline tankers into our schools?

And yet, it doesnt happen.

OK...now I gotta know...what railroad do you work for?

Mark A Shrider said:
OK...now I gotta know...what railroad do you work for?

I'm an IMC bsed in the area. We run all over, but do a lot out of Toledo.
Lots of Haz-mat stuff.

Terrorism isn't as easy as it seems, and suicidal murderers aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

This stuff takes planning. I mean unless you want to end up like Richard Reid trying to light your shoe on a non-smoking flight.

Simon W. Moon said:
Terrorism isn't as easy as it seems, and suicidal murderers aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

This stuff takes planning. I mean unless you want to end up like Richard Reid trying to light your shoe on a non-smoking flight.

Well, sure.
But you would think that a global organization looking to wage jihad aginst us would have enough resources in place to at least TRY a 2nd set of attacks.

Simon W. Moon said:

I know its not exactly simple, but it still seems a bit odd. Al-qaida got 19 suicidal murderers in here with nary a problem a few years ago, and its still pretty easy to get in the country. Plus, there are those who are already here.

It only takes one guy picking up a rifle you can buy anywhere and a handgun or two, he wanders into an elementary school, shouts "Allah Akbar," shoots some kids, and then he's terrified every single parent in the country. This results in more anti-islam rage across the country, thus spurring anti-american feelings in muslims around the world.

it seems too easy.

Back
Top Bottom