• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Indiana governor: New law 'not about discrimination'

I think the best way to combat this current law in Indiana, especially with the way it is phrased is by saying your Religion forbids you from paying taxes.

Hang in there Mike, there are a lot of us behind you.

Yahoo!

For some reason, Pence is now asking for "clarification"
Gov. Mike Pence to push for clarification of 'religious freedom' law

Gov. Mike Pence, scorched by a fast-spreading political firestorm, told The Star on Saturday that he will support the introduction of legislation to "clarify" that Indiana's controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act does not promote discrimination against gays and lesbians.

"I support religious liberty, and I support this law," Pence said in an exclusive interview. "But we are in discussions with legislative leaders this weekend to see if there's a way to clarify the intent of the law."

Couldn't possibly be because several large corporations are speaking out against this "religious freedom" law - now could it?

‘Religious freedom’ law may whack Indiana’s economy | NewsCut | Minnesota Public Radio News

The business case against Indiana's religious faith
Columbus, Indiana-based Cummins, the world's largest diesel engine maker—which has been among the nation's most outspoken business voices against LGBT discrimination statutes—publicly opposed the new law in strong terms, fearing a weakened hand for corporations based in Indiana when trying to lure top talent to the state.
<snip>
Salesforce.com's Marketing Cloud division CEO Scott McCorkle wrote in a recent letter speaking out against the act, "Our success is fundamentally based on our ability to attract and retain the best and most diverse pool of highly skilled employees, regardless of gender, religious affiliation, ethnicity or sexual orientation." Salesforce bought Indianapolis-based marketing software company ExactTarget in 2013.
<snip>
PayPal co-founder Max Levchin tweeted that what was happening in Indiana, no matter how it was "dressed up" was discrimination and "pretty unbelievable.
<snip>
Timothy Slaper, who directs the Indiana Business Research Center at Indiana University, said while critics point to convention dollars lost from events like Super Bowls, the real threat is to the future growth of Indiana's economy. It is still dominated by traditional industries, including agriculture and auto manufacturing.
<snip>
The Indy Chamber (of Commerce), which represents the economic interests of the state's largest city, said in a statement that it remains opposed to the "divisive and unnecessary law."

Regardless of the final disposition, this is a shining example of good and faithful government. We have a legislature and a governor working for the will of the people of their state.

Regardless of the final disposition, this is a shining example of good and faithful government. We have a legislature and a governor working for the will of the people of their state.

you support a government that may be acting to enable discrimination?

They might need to clarify a bit, but no one should be able to be targeted and put out of business because of their mainstream religious beliefs.

you support a government that may be acting to enable discrimination?

Supporting freedom sometimes means that the action you support being legal is less than desirable. It's just one of those things people that support freedom must deal with.

My religion tells me I don't have to pay off my debts after 7 years has passed.

I think the best way to combat this current law in Indiana, especially with the way it is phrased is by saying your Religion forbids you from paying taxes.

Ain't gonna happen.

Supporting freedom sometimes means that the action you support being legal is less than desirable. It's just one of those things people that support freedom must deal with.

I think we need to actively push back against hate speech and ideas that are harmful.

Ain't gonna happen.

But it totally can happen, are you trying to infringe on my religious belief of not paying money to anybody? Why must you attack my faith, Navy Pride!

oooooooooooooooh, but minority religious beliefs are fair game?

WOW

Seriously, what about the Baha'i? The Buddhists? Hindus? Jainist's? Sikhists? Taoists? Muslims? Scientologists? Wiccans/pagans/druids?

I think we need to actively push back against hate speech and ideas that are harmful.

You mean like Communism. Not sure if there has been an idea more harmful than that one, yet no one is arguing that you shouldn't be allowed to continue to advocate it.

But it totally can happen, are you trying to infringe on my religious belief of not paying money to anybody? Why must you attack my faith, Navy Pride!

Except you have the right to act on that (supposed) religious belief. If you don't want to pay someone, don't. But you cant make an exchange based upon that payment then refuse to pay. That would be theft.

You mean like Communism. Not sure if there has been an idea more harmful than that one, yet no one is arguing that you shouldn't be allowed to continue to advocate it.

How can an idea that has never been implemented be measured as harmful in your mind, not sure there has been an idea more harmful? Come on now. How exactly is communism harmful? You know what is harmful? Capitalism, we can see the effects it has had.

How can an idea that has never been implemented be measured as harmful, not sure there has been an idea more harmful? How exactly is communism harmful? You know what is harmful? Capitalism, we can see the effects it has had.

LOL. Never been implemented. Right. You keep telling yourself that. That way you can be certain that there is one person who actually believes it.

How can an idea that has never been implemented be measured as harmful, not sure there has been an idea more harmful? How exactly is communism harmful? You know what is harmful? Capitalism, we can see the effects it has had.

The only reason it has only never been implemented is because it's impossible to do.

LOL. Never been implemented. Right. You keep telling yourself that. That way you can be certain that there is one person who actually believes it.

It hasn't, and you perpetuate your ignorance.
Communism is a socioeconomic system structured upon the common ownership of the means of production and characterized by the absence of social classes, money, and the state
- Never happened, sorry.

The only reason it has only never been implemented is because it's impossible to do.

Just because I adhere to the idea doesn't mean I see it happening anytime soon, it's not impossible though, think about those living under feudalism who thought it would be impossible for it to change.

It hasn't, and you perpetuate your ignorance. - Never happened, sorry.
If that is the definition you are going to go by then fine. It hasn't happened and never will. Its not possible. You just live in a fantasy world.

If that is the definition you are going to go by then fine. It hasn't happened and never will. Its not possible. You just live in a fantasy world.

That is the accepted definition, what are the other ones? I live in a fantasy world? Just because I adhere to the idea doesn't mean I see it happening anytime soon, it's not impossible though, think about those living under feudalism who thought it would be impossible for it to change, or those who were enslaved, etc, etc... It's a stupid shut down to say I live in a fantasy world and try to warp the definition of what communism actually is.

I see a number of such dilemmas. In theory the legal solution to that one has been established. Conciencious objection is acceptable and must be tested. In this case it would probably be punishable as it would be for financial profit and similar to attempted fraud.

Except you have the right to act on that (supposed) religious belief. If you don't want to pay someone, don't. But you cant make an exchange based upon that payment then refuse to pay. That would be theft.

So with this bill passed by Indiana, you are insisting that Indiana citizens and businesses can refuse to pay the state taxes because it may infringe on their religious rights?

Back
Top Bottom