• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Indiana Gov Pence and Cruz

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
NPR is reporting that a 12 noon announcement will have Indiana Governor Pence coming out publicly for Ted Cruz.

If that is true and it happens - do you think it will have any significant effect on next Tuesdays Indiana primary?

NPR is reporting that a 12 noon announcement will have Indiana Governor Pence coming out publicly for Ted Cruz.

If that is true and it happens - do you think it will have any significant effect on next Tuesdays Indiana primary?

The whole thing reeks of desperation time on the part of Cruz. No matter if we are talking about Cruz picking a running mate or getting the remaining State governors to support Cruz, the whole idea now is prevention of Trump getting to 1237.

I do not think it will work, and I suspect Trump still wins the State (or at least keeps it close enough.) Indiana is not a take all, it is more of a winner takes the most ("hybrid") condition.

The whole thing reeks of desperation time on the part of Cruz. No matter if we are talking about Cruz picking a running mate or getting the remaining State governors to support Cruz, the whole idea now is prevention of Trump getting to 1237.

I do not think it will work, and I suspect Trump still wins the State (or at least keeps it close enough.) Indiana is not a take all, it is more of a winner takes the most ("hybrid") condition.

I don't think this is desperation. Any politician will take any elected official's endorsement when its offered. If the Governor of the next primary state offers to endorse you and is reasonably popular with your party, why would you not take it?

After picking Fiorina as a running mate, I can't see this helping much.

I don't think this is desperation. Any politician will take any elected official's endorsement when its offered. If the Governor of the next primary state offers to endorse you and is reasonably popular with your party, why would you not take it?

In many cases - you are right. Here in Michigan NOBODY wanted our Governors endorsement with the Flint water crisis tarring and feathering his fast failing image. I suspect Gov Pence of Indiana is in better standing with his constituents.

Gov Pence provides a fairly mediocre watered down endorsement of Cruz. I suspect he did NOT want to alienate Indiana voters who he suspects will vote for Trump by far more than 50% next week when he has to stand before them in the future asking for their support. So he endorses Cruz but says he will work for the nominee even if it is not Cruz.

There is no "close enough" in Indiana. It's winner-take-all. Oh, Indiana is open primary which means I have increased confidence that Trump will take it.

In many cases - you are right. Here in Michigan NOBODY wanted our Governors endorsement with the Flint water crisis tarring and feathering his fast failing image. I suspect Gov Pence of Indiana is in better standing with his constituents.

Not by much. Though if he got the endorsement of former Gov Mitch Daniels, he might see a boost, but I suspect not with Gov Pence

The timing and Cruz's position in this race as of today are the important factors here. It is not about some tactical path to the nomination, it is about doing anything possible to prevent Trump from getting to 1237.

Gov Pence provides a fairly mediocre watered down endorsement of Cruz. I suspect he did NOT want to alienate Indiana voters who he suspects will vote for Trump by far more than 50% next week when he has to stand before them in the future asking for their support. So he endorses Cruz but says he will work for the nominee even if it is not Cruz.

I only saw a clip and what I saw was not only fairly mediocre and watered down, but did he even use the word "endorse" or "endorsement"?
I saw him just say he'd vote for Cruz.

Pence is an idiot. he could fellate Cruz, and it would have zero impact on my vote. i hope to live to see him exit the governor's mansion, though the state Democratic party seems unwilling or unable to produce a viable opponent or to compete at all, to be honest. either way, when Pence is out, be it this year or 2020, i'll raise a toast to his permanent retirement from politics. oh, he has presidential aspirations, don't doubt that. but unless the national Democratic party runs a candidate like Clinton again, he has little chance of success in a general election.

and as i was typing that, i saw a scenario in which he might win. our two party system sucks that much.

There is no "close enough" in Indiana. It's winner-take-all. Oh, Indiana is open primary which means I have increased confidence that Trump will take it.

That raises a good point.
There haven't been many polls about the Indiana contest but the details of the ones I've seen just mention the number of Republicans polled ... doesn't mention # of Dems crossing over which have been substantial.

Did you see that local Indiana poll that showed Cruz way ahead?
Awfully peculiar results.

Pence is an idiot. he could fellate Cruz, and it would have zero impact on my vote. i hope to live to see him exit the governor's mansion, though the state Democratic party seems unwilling or unable to produce a viable opponent or to compete at all, to be honest. either way, when Pence is out, be it this year or 2020, i'll raise a toast to his permanent retirement from politics. oh, he has presidential aspirations, don't doubt that. but unless the national Democratic party runs a candidate like Clinton again, he has little chance of success in a general election.

and as i was typing that, i saw a scenario in which he might win. our two party system sucks that much.

What if Cruz fellated Pence to get his vote?
Or to raise a larger, uh, point.
What fellating scenario could impact your voting choice?

Cruz is just plain unlikable. I cant think of an endorsement that would actually swing votes in his favor. Besides, the game is over. Trump is going to be the nominee

What if Cruz fellated Pence to get his vote?
Or to raise a larger, uh, point.
What fellating scenario could impact your voting choice?

they could roger the **** out of each other, and there would still be no chance that i'd ever vote for either of them. Pence has been a horrible governor, and Cruz is a drooling moron. i mean, if after dinner, they are feeling healthy enough for sexual activity, i wouldn't stand in their way, but that's not enough to earn my vote.

they could roger the **** out of each other, and there would still be no chance that i'd ever vote for either of them. Pence has been a horrible governor, and Cruz is a drooling moron. i mean, if after dinner, they are feeling healthy enough for sexual activity, i wouldn't stand in their way, but that's not enough to earn my vote.

I understand.
But I was just thinking how introducing such a premise would certainly make for an interesting departure from typical poll questions.
Might even get the pollster a shot on Colbert ... or certainly Maher.

Back
Top Bottom