• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Independents and Bias

I would like to pick a nit that has been bugging me for a while.

I have recently changed my lean from Libertarian to Independent. My reasoning for this is pretty simple. I just am not sure I fit the label Libertarian accurately enough to be comfortable with the tag.

I tend to be a right leaning moderate who favors small government with freedom-leaning social views and in favor of conservative fiscal policy. Pretty libertarian, right? Well I am also a conservationist environmentally, favor the development green energy and would like to see my culture become more responsible with its resources and ecology. I would rather save than spend, and I would rather conserve than use. I would rather be careful than clean up messes. I am not a flag shirt wearing type of patriot, and I don't like that Lee Greenwood song at all. I am against most abortion, but for the legalization of some drugs (though I do not use them). I am mixed about capital punishment, and have problems with the concept of unbridled capitalism.

Some of this just doesn't jive with the sort of Tea Party majority of modern libertarianism, so I have stepped out from under this label. And even though the libertarian umbrella is certainly large enough for me to stand under, I think I am far enough away from the popular view of the modern libertarian that I'd rather get rained on a little.

Now I do not hate these Tea Partiers. In fact I respect them. As I respect to a lesser extent the "occupy" folks. In fact this free expression is a core value for me. I might think the guy who sits in a tree for some political purpose is a fool, but I'll defend his right to be that fool.

So, I come to the nit I mean to pick.

I did not become Independent to hide behind some vaguery. In fact, I try to express my beliefs as clearly as I can. But I often hear (mostly partisan) folks lambaste those who are Independents for hiding their obvious left or right lean behind the vague title. Now I might give this criticism some credence when it is directed towards obviously biased folks who call themselves "moderate" but I still think the criticism is overdone.

In fact there is a logical error here. "Independent' does NOT mean unbiased or without a lean. On the contrary I think Independents can have very strong leans in one direction or another, sometimes TOO strong for a conventional label. And though some might use the label to conceal a lean, I think many of us are just trying to be honest that our particular combination of leans does not fit comfortably enough in one stereotype.

So next time you want to accuse an Independent of having a biased opinion please remind yourself:

We never said we didn't!

Not bad, we'll see.

I agree. i have many leans that would go conservative, and many that would go libertarian. We ride the same boat here.

More so, is there even a purpose in blasting people for their biases? We all express bias to an extent, and in a perverse way, you can't have an opinion without it.

Thanks for posting this. :applaud

I totally agree. It's one thing when it's a moderate or centrist label when the poster is clearly left or right, but independent doesn't preclude bias. I don't really like the lambasting of people because of their bias anyway, and I think it would be better if people just went after their arguments.

I think labels are the worst thing going on in our country. Some people are often controlled by their labels.
Polticians love labels then they can manipulate us better. George orwell wrote about it in "1984"

People have told me that it is a joke because I claim to be very conservative. They are right. It is a joke and I use this label to point out the folly of labels.

This is the problem. When you label yourself as "independent" people tend to assume that you're going to agree with anybody about everything. When my lean was "centrist" I had people jumping all over me whenever I made a comment that didn't condemn Obama - "Centrist my ass, you're just another Obama slurper" was the gist of it. I basically thought that "centrist" should indicate that I would occasionally disagree with them. But that's not how it was taken.

rocket88;bt1782 said:
This is the problem. When you label yourself as "independent" people tend to assume that you're going to agree with anybody about everything. When my lean was "centrist" I had people jumping all over me whenever I made a comment that didn't condemn Obama - "Centrist my ass, you're just another Obama slurper" was the gist of it. I basically thought that "centrist" should indicate that I would occasionally disagree with them. But that's not how it was taken.
Exactly. It seems the label is more important than the comment.

Welcome to the club.

You mention that, "I did not become Independent to hide behind some vaguery." I feel that by labeling yourself "independent" you have made the first small step towards the realization that there is very little difference between the two primary parties (I like to call them Demoblicans). You will quickly begin to notice that many people claim to hold fast to very specific ideals, but the moment a politician with the appropriate R or D beside their name performs an act contrary to these ideals, they quickly begin to make excuses to validate the act. Bush and Medicare, Obama and war, etc.

I wish you well on your journey towards further self-identification and -realization.

Back
Top Bottom