• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Incorruptible bodies

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Many years ago I watched some Leonard Nimoy mysteries show that featured Saint Bernadette in her glass casket, and since then I have become very interested in this topic

Last week I became aware of the recent exhumation of a Russian Orthodox bishop here in the U.S. whose body, it is said, is incorrupt, and this renewed my interest. I wonder if others are interested as well.

From Wiki:

Incorruptibility is a Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox belief that Divine intervention allows some human bodies (specifically saints and beati) to avoid the normal process of decomposition decomposition after death as a sign of their holiness. Bodies that undergo little or no decomposition, or delayed decomposition, are sometimes referred to as incorrupt or incorruptible. Incorruptibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many years ago I watched some Leonard Nimoy mysteries show that featured Saint Bernadette in her glass casket, and since then I have become very interested in this topic

Last week I became aware of the recent exhumation of a Russian Orthodox bishop here in the U.S. whose body, it is said, is incorrupt, and this renewed my interest. I wonder if others are interested as well.

From Wiki:

Incorruptibility is a Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox belief that Divine intervention allows some human bodies (specifically saints and beati) to avoid the normal process of decomposition decomposition after death as a sign of their holiness. Bodies that undergo little or no decomposition, or delayed decomposition, are sometimes referred to as incorrupt or incorruptible. Incorruptibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at most of the bodies in the link they are either quite 'corrupted' or heavily masked and garbed. Considering some of the remarkable corpses we've found that are in relatively phenomenal shape despite being thousands of years old it shouldn't be too surprising that this wouldn't also be the case for those said to be 'incorrupt'.

Well, not most of them, only some. In most of the images I've seen over the years, there has been browning and shriveling of the skin--it's obvious that the image is of a dead body, but the corpses have not deteriorated the way bodies ordinarily should after hundreds of years.

Well, not most of them, only some. In most of the images I've seen over the years, there has been browning and shriveling of the skin--it's obvious that the image is of a dead body, but the corpses have not deteriorated the way bodies ordinarily should after hundreds of years.

It all depends on the environment they get put in. I mean, talk a look at this body, which is over 600 years old, and a woman in China.

Same principle.. environmental reasons for body preservation

Pictures: Lifelike "Wet Mummy" Found During Roadbuilding

From Wiki:

It's not a new thing and there are very real spiritual explanations for it, but that's all I'll say here.

The Catholic Church isn't the first to acknowledge incorruptibility as a sign of a highly spiritually advanced person. See: ancient Egypt, ancient China, ancient Maya, etc.

Basically... if the body remains non-corrupted, then the person can theoretically resurrect at any time, much like how Jesus did. Though, who would want to come back in corporeal form when they can come and go as they please non-corporeally.

In Buddhism and Daoism, some advanced practitioners sublimate when they die. They basically vaporize because their work in physical form became so close to their light body that upon death they were indistinguishable.

What is a "light body"?

Back
Top Bottom