• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

income inequality question

If person a makes 30,000 and and person b makes 300,000,taxing person b will closes the inequality gap, but how is person a better off,
The money could be redistributed to the person who makes less.

Whats the tax rate mate ? Its only then can an equation be made.

If person a makes 30,000 and and person b makes 300,000,taxing person b will closes the inequality gap, but how is person a better off,

The left wants you to quit confusing the issue with relevant, intelligent questions.

For the life of me , I cant work out how to start a new thread.

For the life of me , I cant work out how to start a new thread.
I know I am talking to my self. But I think I may of just worked it out.

? not following
So what your saying is every body can be Steve Jobs if they apply them selves. I wouldn't want to be that ugly so,and so, even with his billions.

So what your saying is every body can be Steve Jobs if they apply them selves. I wouldn't want to be that ugly so,and so, even with his billions.
Can't speak for your country, but in America yes, anyone can achieve success.

The tax code isn't...or shouldn't be...designed to address "income inequality".

Not directly, but an income tax should have a generous enough (truly) standard deduction so as not to make the poor suffer needlessly.

Can't speak for your country, but in America yes, anyone can achieve success.
On 12 bucks an hour. I don't think so. Last time I was IN the Great old USA everybody held there arm out for a tip.

And your government deems people in the tipping industry to earn 25% of there earnings in tips. To bad if they don't earn 25%

I am still trying to learn how to start a thread. I am going to bed in a minute. Its 12.40 am Sydney time.

On 12 bucks an hour. I don't think so. Last time I was IN the Great old USA everybody held there arm out for a tip.
$12/hr for starting jobs sure. But everyone has the choice to stay in the job or decide to move up or out.

The tax code isn't...or shouldn't be...designed to address "income inequality".

Agreed, the tax code should be about dealing with the economy. However excess is just as likely to be bubble forming as real estate pricing and debt influences.

Truth be told there are times where the government should tax more and time when it should tax less, and no matter where we are in the economic cycle the most practical approach is a progressive tax system not that far removed from what we already have. But you do tax more to prevent various economic bubbles we have all seen and experienced, you do tax less at other times to deal with aggregate demand fault when government spending is the only power left to deal with a failing economic condition.

The income inequality gap is an economic fault of vulture capitalism, one not entirely solved by progressive taxation alone (again we already have something somewhat like that.)

However government spending can create various means where all income quintiles grow with more proportion to one another instead of our current model where the top income quintile gets that much further away from the other four. Or, excess that slows down economic growth as well as velocity of money as well as business investment (the list goes on.)

Our core issue though is the politics of taxation and spending has little to do (if it ever has any interest in) economics. Most if not all political promises are based on treasury promises. Either less in taxation, more in spending, or some terrible combination of the two.

This thread and both of your responses are political, absent any economic argument whatsoever.

The US has the most progressive tax code in the world, there is that

Stupid premise.

The problem isn't that person "A" pays too much tax. The problem is that by under-taxing person "B," person "A" no longer has access to beneficial services that were once commonplace, like subsidized college education. Worse, the fact that person "B" now has excess income allows him to game the political system, using the money to tilt it in his favor, as we've seen happen throughout the country since the days of Ronald Reagan.

Of course, you'd have to step outside the parrot cage to know these things.

Stupid premise.

The problem isn't that person "A" pays too much tax. The problem is that by under-taxing person "B," person "A" no longer has access to beneficial services that were once commonplace, like subsidized college education. Worse, the fact that person "B" now has excess income allows him to game the political system, using the money to tilt it in his favor, as we've seen happen throughout the country since the days of Ronald Reagan.

Of course, you'd have to step outside the parrot cage to know these things.

Or, you could peek out of your bag over your head and realize the US has the most progressive tax code in the developed world.

Back
Top Bottom