• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Income Inequality in America

Housing has certainly gone up (a lot) but what was "needed" in the 1950s, as far as electronics and household appliances, was far less. Even when you had "everything" you still had nothing like what you have today. People also "saved up" to get a car, you did not take out a 6 year loan.

All I need in a home or apartment today is a stove, refrigerator, telephone and line, sinks, shower, toilet, electric sockets and light fixtures in addition to the walls, roof, floor, windows and doors. What more would you "need" in a home? ;)

I'd WANT a TV, cable connection or sattelite dish, a computer and internet connection, and some mininal furniture. But I dont NEED it. LOL :)

Last edited:
I'm saying a voucher system would be missing the point and not repairing what it needs to repair if it only helps those who can afford to pay a surcharge for sending their kids to a good school. Then those who can't afford the surcharge are left in failing schools who have less dollars (because of lost heads) to pay with thus even worse schools than they were before vouchers were issued.

Who ever said life is fair. A voucher system is far better than what we have. Period. You are saying if it's not equal to everyone then don't do it. BS. Nothing is equal, never has been, never will be.

provide a living wage. Tie the minimum wage to the cost of living so that as the cost of living goes up so does the minimum wage. It needs to become more expensive for the more well off to live so that it can become less expensive for the less well off. Install a tariff on any country's imports that does not pay the American minimum wage or equivalent in their country as a means to even the playing field. This will insure that manufacturing will not leave our country and end up being an import only country with little to no exports. Make it so it's cheaper to make products in country paying a living wage than to import the same goods.

What matters is the percentage of income spent on survival. It should control the percentage of income spent on taxes. The more spent on survival the less spent on taxes. And as such the less of a percentage needed to survive the more in taxes you should pay.
Kersey this is the solution.

Why don't we go back to the population we had in the fifties and sixties, and regress technologically as well? Also, we must make sure third world nations are not modernizing and increasing their living standards the way they are now. When all that is achieved, we should be able to "go back to that."

Lastly, please read my signature line.

Around that time the GINI inequality index was at 40. Today it is at 47. Our previous inequality was healthier and because of it more economic growth went to more people, and incomes were growing quickly.

All I need in a home or apartment today is a stove, refrigerator, sinks, shower, toilet and electric sockets and light fixtures in addition to the walls floor and doors. What more would you "need" in a home? ;)

I'd WANT a TV, cable connection or sattelite dish, a computer and internet connection, and some mininal furniture. But I dont NEED it. LOL :)

I am quite content in my old, rented, single-wide mobile home.

I agree but:

Understanding Poverty in the United States: Poverty USA

There is no solution. Get rid of that.
Nature gave all of you 2 hands, 2 legs and 1 head.
Use them.
If you can't make millions, don't let your envy blame the millioners.
They are millioners because they work harder or they are smarter.

Use them.
The myths of wealth creation, and usually not true.

Use them.

Well, we do know that income inequality really started rising after Reagan's tax cuts for the rich. If we undid these tax cuts, but then gave tax cuts to the middle class, maybe we could bring back some of that wealth equality.

Around that time the GINI inequality index was at 40. Today it is at 47. Our previous inequality was healthier and because of it more economic growth went to more people, and incomes were growing quickly.

Not familiar with the GINI but I have no reason to disbelieve this. The point of my post (the one you quoted) was to say, in a nutshell, "times are different now."

I also long for a bygone era in that I think our entire species would feel healthier and happier if we grew and raised a lot more of our own food, and I think urbanization (which continues to happen) makes us miserable. But to think we should just force that longing of mine into reality through federal legislation is... something else.

I am quite content in my old, rented, single-wide mobile home.

I agree but:

Understanding Poverty in the United States: Poverty USA

Thanks. I do recognize that difference but did you note what MOST of the items listed were for? Entertainment.

Recall whenever I try to speak to the "economic experts" here they keep referring to the Consumer Price Index and the "Basket of Goods." The things in that basket that have shown the most "affordability" (relatively speaking) are electronic entertainment items.

When I see that it always makes me think of old Rome, and the policy of keeping the poor masses entertained with bread and circuses. As long as they are entertained they can't riot or revolt. ;)

By the way, with the costs of housing going up I have been seriously thinking of a trailer myself. We used to live in one when I was a kid and stayed with my dad when he didn't have enough enlisted rank to qualify for post family housing. Maybe I'll move down to Texas and park? LOL

provide a living wage. Tie the minimum wage to the cost of living so that as the cost of living goes up so does the minimum wage
I don't think you understand economics. Everyone should make $100 per hour...but when bread costs 150 per loaf, then what?

It needs to become more expensive for the more well off to live so that it can become less expensive for the less well off.
That is discrimination. You don't like discrimination, do you?

Install a tariff on any country's imports that does not pay the American minimum wage or equivalent in their country as a means to even the playing field.

Now THAT is funny...Yes...everyone in the world should all have the same salary...you kids...I swear... LMAO

This will insure that manufacturing will not leave our country and end up being an import only country with little to no exports. Make it so it's cheaper to make products in country paying a living wage than to import the same goods.

You not only don't understand economics, you don't understand real life, human nature or reality. While you're fixing all this inequality why not end slavery in africa, force the middle east to live in harmony and make a rule that no one can be mean to anybody else....

What matters is the percentage of income spent on survival. It should control the percentage of income spent on taxes. The more spent on survival the less spent on taxes. And as such the less of a percentage needed to survive the more in taxes you should pay.

Right..we need to give MORE money to the corrupt government. :roll: Why not do away with money completely worldwide and divide the planet into equal parcels so everyone on earth has the same conditions.

I'm from the realist and common sense party.

More like the "Hallucinations and extreme fantasy party" is my assessment.

The myths of wealth creation, and usually not true.
Steve made possible for you to quote me while you are in bath, peeing.
FB guy made a big social network.
and many other examples.
they gave a lot to the people all over the world.
How you think they achieved this? They started from 0, they were not rich at the beginning.
They had no god gifts, they just used better their brains.

does the economic environment in USA prevent you to be like them? - NO.

Use them.

That probably tends to be true. I have spoken to a number of millionaires and almost across the board I recognized them as very sharp. What I would add to this characterization though is that they took gutsy chances, i.e. they "went for it." They didn't shy away from medicine, law, finance, entrepreneurship and other career choices that tend to create millionaires. They went after things that are difficult and (probably) have a relatively high failure rate, but they went for it anyway and succeeded, alas, they are now successful.

Some will read your comment (in bold) and get offended because it implies the less successful "don't work hard" or are dumb and lazy. By measuring people only against the very very successful, everyone looks that way, but not everyone is actually that way. Some people choose career tracks and lifestyles according to their personalities and are less rich because of their personal choices.

Do you know why Rockefeller gave away dimes and apples during the Depression? Because he knew that his success was dependent upon their charity.

Well, we do know that income inequality really started rising after Reagan's tax cuts for the rich. If we undid these tax cuts, but then gave tax cuts to the middle class, maybe we could bring back some of that wealth equality.
In crisis time ppl get rich.

what happen in USA.
the prices of houses got lower years ago.
those who had hundred thousand dollars, bought these houses.
they sold them right after the price was increased.
from hundred thousand $ they become million $ men.

This is just a simple example. Point is that everyone is free to achieve based on their work, take of risk, use of knowledge etc etc.

I don't think you understand economics. Everyone should make $100 per hour...but when bread costs 150 per loaf, then what?
You're tying it to the wrong thing. Everyone should not make a set dollar amount. Everyone, who works for a living, should earn a living. ie. be able to afford that loaf of bread regardless of what it cost.
That is discrimination. You don't like discrimination, do you?
It is not discrimination to base tax rates on your ability to survive. One way this would work is to set it up so that nobody has to pay taxes on the first $25,000 of income and are only taxed on money made above that point. I used a number pulled out of thin air. It would be more appropriate to base it off a living wage for a single person.
Now THAT is funny...Yes...everyone in the world should all have the same salary...you kids...I swear... LMAO
Nope, but those who need the most of their income to survive shouldn't be weighed down by paying the excessive taxes. Those who make the most from society should pay the most for providing that society.

I deleted your red herrings as not worthy of replying to.

Post your "solution" (if you have one). I'm not going to have a discussion with someone who has nothing to say.
I'll list them and you will dismiss them.

A living wage for most jobs.
Low cost adult and higher education.
Educational tracks for all young adults.
Low cost trade and engineering schools.
Higher progressive income taxes.
Higher corporate taxes.
Tax shelter reform.
High estate taxes.
Government sponsored daycare.
Universal healthcare.
Longer school days and years for Pre-K to grade 12.
Performance-based salaries and salary caps for CEOs.
Stock option reform.

And so on.

Back
Top Bottom