• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Incognito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overitall

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Why is the feature of being incognito not available?

Why is the feature of being incognito not available?

Sites with some forms of regulation don't allow as such. At least not on the upper forums where posters are subject to specific rules.

As for being incognito on the site in general, such as your activity. It may as well just be a design choice.

I can see where activity should be moderated if it involves rules violations but, I don't see where simply browsing incognito should be an issue. At the time I write this there are over 500 visitors browsing. Some most likely are members who choose not to log in.

I can see where activity should be moderated if it involves rules violations but, I don't see where simply browsing incognito should be an issue. At the time I write this there are over 500 visitors browsing. Some most likely are members who choose not to log in.

It's a perk you get when you donate to the forum.

You guys are talking about multiple things.

There are parts of the forum that are public facing, meaning you do not have to be logged in to see those forums but you cannot post or do much else other than read them, and there are other parts of the forum that are not public facing and you must be logged in to even view them.

Logging into a vBulletin forum "incognito" is a misnomer, there are various private type functionalities sometimes given to paid members of the forum that hide your status from 'Currently Active Users' lists. I am unsure if DP runs that or not.

Through Chrome going "incognito" is another function entirely having more to do with the browser than a site you go to.

And the 500+ "guests" in the forum are likely nothing more than search engine spiders and bots that catalog what is publicly facing for the purposes of search engine results. "Online" does not necessarily mean logged in.

You guys are talking about multiple things.

There are parts of the forum that are public facing, meaning you do not have to be logged in to see those forums but you cannot post or do much else other than read them, and there are other parts of the forum that are not public facing and you must be logged in to even view them.

Logging into a vBulletin forum "incognito" is a misnomer, there are various private type functionalities sometimes given to paid members of the forum that hide your status from 'Currently Active Users' lists. I am unsure if DP runs that or not.

Through Chrome going "incognito" is another function entirely having more to do with the browser than a site you go to.

And the 500+ "guests" in the forum are likely nothing more than search engine spiders and bots that catalog what is publicly facing for the purposes of search engine results. "Online" does not necessarily mean logged in.

You can donate as little as $5 every 6 months and remain incognito...

Thank you both for your responses. As little as $5 isn't very steep for having the option of going incognito.

Elvira, if I may trouble you once more.

I donated and when looking at my UI I see an asterisk beside it. Does that mean I'm incognito?

Elvira, if I may trouble you once more.

I donated and when looking at my UI I see an asterisk beside it. Does that mean I'm incognito?

Yes, it means that other posters will not see your name when you are logged in and our viewing threads and/or forums.

Thanks DiAnna. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom