• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In your opinion...

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If the democrats win the presidency next election and the senate stays in control of the republicans, what would be your two main things you would like to see the dems try to accomplish.

If the dems won it all, what three things are most important to you?

DJT- jailed
DJT jr- jailed
Ivanka- jailed
Kushner-jailed
Pence-jailed

Like Lay’s can’t stop at three.......

Repeal citizens United.

Set a cap for campaign funding, i.e., each campaign has a maximum amount allowed to use. This would apply to city, state, and federal campaigns.

Eleminate gerrymandering...redraw the lines based on a grid, or some other non objective way.

Then sit back, and watch America get better after its long, dark winter of discontent.

If the democrats win the presidency next election and the senate stays in control of the republicans, what would be your two main things you would like to see the dems try to accomplish.

Infrastructure. Lots of it. Better roads and bridges, more of them. Better highway systems. General improvements.

A healthcare bill that actually lowers healthcare costs for everyone. And includes some of the benefits of the ACA like no lifetime caps, no pre-existing condition exclusions, etc.

Better treatment of veterans. Full access to healthcare, always. Housing if they need it. Better pensions.

Eliminate gerrymandering once and for all.

Okay, that was four things. Indulge me.

Universal healthcare
Education

Energy research (all ideas, but extra help for viable renewables, including THORIUM)
Undoing as much of the RW libertarian Ayn Rand nonsense as possible, let's put ourselves back to the New Deal era economically speaking.
Press freedom

If Americans can get equal access to the best higher education possible and take care of their health without worrying about being bankrupted, a lot of the other issues have a chance to correct themselves over a period of time.
Moving ourselves as much as possible to modern energy resources is a must do, not an option.

It's not so much the Senate staying in Republican hands, it's the Senate staying in Mitch McConnell's hands.
I still believe it is possible to work with a lot of Republicans on issues. I don't think it is possible to work with Mitch on anything at all, ever. And he will not allow Republicans to work with Democrats, EVER.

Repeal Citizens United and set European-style caps on all elections.

Preserve and strengthen the ACA.

Eliminate gerrymandering via a universal neutral algorithm that draws all congressional districts.

Review ALL of Trumps XO's and reverse all Trump administration EPA directives. Make climate change a national priority.

DJT- jailed
DJT jr- jailed
Ivanka- jailed
Kushner-jailed
Pence-jailed

Like Lay’s can’t stop at three.......

I think this about sums up the left's total obsession with Trump. The Genie gave you two to three wishes and you used them all up on just anti-Trumpness. You don't give a damn about the American people.

Repeal Citizens United and set European-style caps on all elections.

Preserve and strengthen the ACA.

Eliminate gerrymandering via a universal neutral algorithm that draws all congressional districts.

Review ALL of Trumps XO's and reverse all Trump administration EPA directives. Make climate change a national priority.

I asked for four things first. Now you copied me.

I think this about sums up the left's total obsession with Trump. The Genie gave you two to three wishes and you used them all up on just anti-Trumpness. You don't give a damn about the American people.

Coming from a man who said this.

The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office.

Tell us how you give a damn about the American people.

Their ethics/campaign finance/voting rights package and their slate of ACA improvements.

Healthcare for all (single payer)
Reduce the debt
Make climate change a big priority

Undo environment damage Trump has done. Well, can't completely undo it (4 years have been lost) but at least undo as much as possible.

Also other damage that was done. Here is just the 2017 list.

Infrastructure. Lots of it. Better roads and bridges, more of them. Better highway systems. General improvements.

Money for which will mostly end up in Union leaderships' pockets

1. Start to repair our relationship with allies.
2. Put back most (not all, most) of the regulation Republicans (or Trump himself) did away with.
3. Actually pass a $&^#%#% budget.

There is a medical procedure than remove that branch from where it hurts you.........

#1 Unity in which we all learn to work together again for a common and objective agreed-to-by-both-sides goals
#2 Return to work to solve Climate Change
#3 A return to having morals, ethics, principles and humanity as our most important guidelines.

If we can accomplish those 3 goals, we can accomplish all other problems facing us.

1. Taxes back up to Bill Clinton rates, across the board. Evaluate. Raise (likely) to whatever necessary to account for spending. Then deal with spending. Or not. We need an honest evaluation of what we can and cannot agree to change, then go pay for what we do.

When people have processed the bite, have a proper discussion about whether and what spending needs to go. We haven't had that yet because we aren't paying for what we're getting, and that is because we did so well last century that we've got a lot of maneuvering room. But like fools we're pissing it away. Like addicts, we're putting off the hard work until rock bottom, which is the most self-defeating thing a person can do.

2. An honest re-evaluation of much of the CFR. So few address this as it must be for a number of reasons:

- People already weren't paying enough attention. Now, most seem to have the attention span of a severely concussed goldfish. Thanks, AIM and thanks Twitter, and thanks instagram and **** you Facebook. More than two sentences ---> deeeeeerp, I go drool, then I wipe and put up new selfie! YAY!

Therefore, most debates about the CFR boil down to (1) all regulation is bad because government is bad, (2) deregulation is bad because regulations are good.

No. There's a big mix. And I know second-hand about quite a lot of inefficiency in production of regulations and their function because my wife and a number of friends are economists who actually did or do this ****, and have horror stories about the slapdash way these things can get put to gether, about higher-ups following some policy goal and ignoring cost-benefit analyses that say the regulation in question isn't worth it given the cost, yadda yadda.

We need these agencies and we need what they do if we're going to work as a cohesive nation, but holy **** is it as mess. Too many good things are deregulated, too many other things are unnecessarily regulated. There's no rhyme or reason to it. This stuff builds up over time in shifting administrations based too often on the whims of the people trying to interpret the political goals with each administration. It is a life-sucking mess, and to the limited extent either of the two main parties talk about it they talk about it like idiots. And that's not their fault. It's our fault, because as a group we have become a bunch of lazy cursed fools so self-absorbed that the idea of taking two hours out of an evening to try to learn something is unthinkable when there's using our smartphones while watching football games or whatever.

Yes, I'm bitter. ****ing bitter. I'd go be a hermit in the woods if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to do that, and if I didn't like computer games so much. Hence the asterix bombs here. And as I say in my lean, I really am "slightly liberal".

What drives me up the wall the very most is that there are very real things wrong with government. With agencies, with the FBI or DEA, with all sorts of things. The things that are actually wrong are not the things we fight about. We fight about stupid ****ing bull**** most of the time, which means that even the people who claim to be opposed to wasteful regulations aren't even focusing on getting rid of the wasteful ones. They do hatchet jobs, Dems do....I dunno...drunken rebuilding when they regain power. It's a see-saw of idiocy, and it's our fault.

1. Taxes back up to Bill Clinton rates, across the board. Evaluate. Raise (likely) to whatever necessary to account for spending. Then deal with spending. Or not. We need an honest evaluation of what we can and cannot agree to change, then go pay for what we do.

When people have processed the bite, have a proper discussion about whether and what spending needs to go. We haven't had that yet because we aren't paying for what we're getting, and that is because we did so well last century that we've got a lot of maneuvering room. But like fools we're pissing it away. Like addicts, we're putting off the hard work until rock bottom, which is the most self-defeating thing a person can do.

2. An honest re-evaluation of much of the CFR. So few address this as it must be for a number of reasons:

- People already weren't paying enough attention. Now, most seem to have the attention span of a severely concussed goldfish. Thanks, AIM and thanks Twitter, and thanks instagram and **** you Facebook. More than two sentences ---> deeeeeerp, I go drool, then I wipe and put up new selfie! YAY!

Therefore, most debates about the CFR boil down to (1) all regulation is bad because government is bad, (2) deregulation is bad because regulations are good.

No. There's a big mix. And I know second-hand about quite a lot of inefficiency in production of regulations and their function because my wife and a number of friends are economists who actually did or do this ****, and have horror stories about the slapdash way these things can get put to gether, about higher-ups following some policy goal and ignoring cost-benefit analyses that say the regulation in question isn't worth it given the cost, yadda yadda.

We need these agencies and we need what they do if we're going to work as a cohesive nation, but holy **** is it as mess. Too many good things are deregulated, too many other things are unnecessarily regulated. There's no rhyme or reason to it. This stuff builds up over time in shifting administrations based too often on the whims of the people trying to interpret the political goals with each administration. It is a life-sucking mess, and to the limited extent either of the two main parties talk about it they talk about it like idiots. And that's not their fault. It's our fault, because as a group we have become a bunch of lazy cursed fools so self-absorbed that the idea of taking two hours out of an evening to try to learn something is unthinkable when there's using our smartphones while watching football games or whatever.

Yes, I'm bitter. ****ing bitter. I'd go be a hermit in the woods if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to do that, and if I didn't like computer games so much. Hence the asterix bombs here. And as I say in my lean, I really am "slightly liberal".

What drives me up the wall the very most is that there are very real things wrong with government. With agencies, with the FBI or DEA, with all sorts of things. The things that are actually wrong are not the things we fight about. We fight about stupid ****ing bull**** most of the time, which means that even the people who claim to be opposed to wasteful regulations aren't even focusing on getting rid of the wasteful ones. They do hatchet jobs, Dems do....I dunno...drunken rebuilding when they regain power. It's a see-saw of idiocy, and it's our fault.

Well said. The older I get, and I'm getting their quickly, the more cynically I find myself looking at things for the same reasons nothing ever really seems to change and it is our fault.
I'm starting to think congress should impose term limits on themselves to keep us from doing too much harm to ourselves. If we don't do something about climate change we're doomed and we can't even agree on that. Sad.

Would there be an election if the government is still shut down?

Back
Top Bottom