• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In your opinion, what is the most senseless crime?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

No crime makes sense, of course. And while everyone will have their own criteria, the intent of this question is with small petty crimes in mind, the ones that make you wonder, "Why would you even want to do that?"

I could probably come up with several, but one crime that I don't get is vandalism. An example is this story. Not to diminish more serious crimes, but why would something this petty be important to anybody?

No crime makes sense, of course. And while everyone will have their own criteria, the intent of this question is with small petty crimes in mind, the ones that make you wonder, "Why would you even want to do that?"

I could probably come up with several, but one crime that I don't get is vandalism. An example is this story. Not to diminish more serious crimes, but why would something this petty be important to anybody?

Good guess! I actually heard a really great speaker bring up vandalism as his example of a completely senseless crime.

I think some crimes do make sense because it comes down to personal values, morals and human need.

When viewed from that perspective all crimes are understandable to one degree or another.

it stems from intense jealousy, self-loathing, and a lust for revenge against nature. In short, they hate themselves for being irredeemably unfit and impotent, and thus, they want to see all reflectors of their failures burn. They want to destroy any standard of measurement and make winning impossible, because, if there are no winners, then there are no losers, and maybe then, they won’t feel quite as bad about themselves. A large fraction of the world hates success in any form, and it was these suicidal miscreants who chose to raise arms first, but they don’t get to have their way, not without receiving, at least, some harsh derision for it.

The Root Of Communism Is Self-Hatred

If you take a risk/benefit type of analytical approach to "understanding" crime, then crimes that are high risk with low payoff seem senseless. Personally, I think rape is senseless because it is either totally ignorant of any kind of meaningful communication or it is dishonest and abusive. The recent case which has gained more publicity over time than other rapes I've seen in the media is testimony. From what I understand, there was very little violence or active participation of coercion, it is simply a matter of exclusion of sense via reason and sense via consent. Unfortunately, one must be really out of touch with reality to think that that kind of crime is ok, yet the risk/benefit has a low benefit and a high risk. Furthermore, rape is commonly cited as occurring within an otherwise consensual relationship, which is evidence that it is a uniquely senseless act in an otherwise sensible place.

After deciding to off the spouse/ex then deciding to off the kids too.

Why?

The gravest act a person can commit, which is the most far removed from reason, is idolatry, and if we're to be specific, the worship of beings which do not exist at all (as opposed to e.g. sun worship and the like).

If you're specifically asking among the things that are presently crimes, then probably the murder of one's father.

I agree, crime does not make sense at all, but for me the most senseless crimes at the ones committed against the most innocent and defenseless creatures around, crimes against children and crimes against animals. Those 2 types of crimes are to me the most senseless of them all.

I agree, crime does not make sense at all, but for me the most senseless crimes at the ones committed against the most innocent and defenseless creatures around, crimes against children and crimes against animals. Those 2 types of crimes are to me the most senseless of them all.

I'm glad to see you condemn abortion.

Gross negligence involving private servers and endangering national security...............

I'm glad to see you condemn abortion.

Nope, still 1000% support the right of women to have an early, legal and safe abortion.

Also you seem to have problems with reading or understanding the concept of crimes against children, abortion is not a crime nor is it against children.

Nope, still 1000% support the right of women to have an early, legal and safe abortion.

Also you seem to have problems with reading or understanding the concept of crimes against children, abortion is not a crime nor is it against children.

Coercing children into financially unstable situations is a crime. A child can take out a student loan with an accompanying signature from a guardian who endorses their child's choice. Teenagers who reach sexual maturity and who have not reached the age of majority are tried in family court and served with support orders which begin at age 18 and endure throughout adulthood. This goes beyond endorsement, when a grandparent is responsible until they reach the age of majority, to something a little bit more along the lines of inherited debt servitude.

Coercing children into financially unstable situations is a crime. A child can take out a student loan with an accompanying signature from a guardian who endorses their child's choice. Teenagers who reach sexual maturity and who have not reached the age of majority are tried in family court and served with support orders which begin at age 18 and endure throughout adulthood. This goes beyond endorsement, when a grandparent is responsible until they reach the age of majority, to something a little bit more along the lines of inherited debt servitude.

Er, no.

Choices are made.

Er, no.

Choices are made.

That's pretty vague, but choices made as children affect and shape us. I think I see where you're going with this. So if someone buys cocaine, they should be forced to inject it into their vein, right?

Kidnapping and murdering children. Not exploiting them for sexual gratification; just abducting them/luring them to your house and straight up murdering them.

That's pretty vague, but choices made as children affect and shape us. I think I see where you're going with this. So if someone buys cocaine, they should be forced to inject it into their vein, right?

Forced?

No.

But if they choose to.. They choose to.

I have never seen a student loan forced on anyone. Have you? Was it by gunpoint?

Forced?

No.

But if they choose to.. They choose to.

I have never seen a student loan forced on anyone. Have you? Was it by gunpoint?

Certainly not. A student loan is a voluntary expense which must be renewed annually. Not only can one stop borrowing at any time, but it is often much less expensive than a child support order. Unlike student loans, child support is forced. Lenders do not have the same authority to use force as the state. That much is clear.

Now to address your mention of gunpoint, i.e. a punitive measure meant to coerce. In neither case will someone be executed for their decision not to adhere to the terms of a forced agreement. One cannot be sent to prison for not paying a student loan, whereas they who do not pay a support order may be imprisoned. If one is bankrupt due to a student loan, one can file for bankruptcy, though that is not the case for child support arrears which can never be discharged.

Blackmailing someone is fairly stupid. A lot of blackmailers find that their lives get cut short. Later on, served cold.

Blackmailing someone is fairly stupid. A lot of blackmailers find that their lives get cut short. Later on, served cold.

That's why the best way to blackmail someone is to get the federal government to do it for you and move far, far away.

voting for trump

No crime is as senseless as thousands of the laws on the books. My favorite in our town was the crime of carrying a lunchpail down the street. It was also illegal to trap pigeons without a permit or pitch a tent without a permit.

Back
Top Bottom