• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In your opinion is Ashli Babbit a traitor or a hero?

In response to the question posed by the topic line, I respond with 'Neither'.

Ms. Babbit was one of many who were comfortable with a strong man authoritarian form of government and who allowed their emotional response to the rhetoric of Mr. Donald Trump over-rule their ability to think and act rationally. People in a mob will do things that, individually, they would not do.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Not an unarmed military veteran

If anyone breaks through security in a government building, they will be stopped by any means necessary. If you have doubts about that, just picture her as a BLM activist breaking into the Oval Office with Trump inside, and you will see the argument.

Not an unarmed military veteran
First off, no one knew of her military service. Second, no one could know she was unarmed. What was obvious to the law enforcement was that she was an illegal trespassing rioter trying to do harm to congress. This cop will never be charged with any crime. He was simply doing his job.

That's the only thing that kept me from saying traitor.

So you can't call Trump the Terrorist a traitor because he is mentally disabled.

You might want to think about that for a while.

While the dozen or so swat dudes that were literally three feet behind Babbitt, stood by and watched? Damn, I didn't know Trump's cult ran that deep.
In the video the police came up the stairs after she was shot.

Do you think she deserved to get shot?
"Deserved"?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I do know that the cop who shot her acted appropriately. There's no way to make a case that the crowd trying to break through the door was not violent. As a sworn law enforcement officer, the cop had a duty to act.

Whatever would've happened to him had they gotten through (and it's silly to think they would've just passed him by) is something he would not have deserved.

Babbit's death, while unfortunate, should be surprising to no one...

The only person I know of who was killed was a single unarmed woman that any competent security people should have been able to arrest.

Not with a horde of rioters coming up behind her...

She is no martyr. She was executed however. As a person who worked security in our military there is no question in my mind that she was executed.

I worked law enforcement while in the military, and I don't recall anything in any of the training I received which discussed executions.

Please, tell us more...

Doesn't mean she should have paid with her life by an over zealous trigger happy cop.

What happened to unarmed people should be stopped with tasers, rubber bullets, mace? How soon some forget their crazy double standards...
Oh, nonsense.

If the cop was "trigger happy" he'd have shot more than one person...

The right wing media is making Ashli Babbit into a hero and a martyr. Typical lies I have heard are that she was trying to escape the building by climbing out a window and that the policeman shoot her in the head for no reason.. Well, first, she was trying to get into the hall where just a few feet away they were ushering congressmen away from the rioters who like Babbit were trying to get to the congressmen to take them hostage, to hang them, we will never know as the policeman shot the first one through the broken window and the rest of them then just ran. And the policeman did not shoot her in the head, but in the side. My opinion is that this woman took an oath to up hold the constitution and laws of the United States and that oath does not end when you leave the military. In entering the Capital to stop the congress from doing its constitutional duty and following the laws of our country, she violated that oath and thus gave up hr right to expect she would be allowed to attack our capital with impunity. She was not a martyr or a hero, she was a seditionist and paid the price for her actions. What is your opinion?
Neither. She was caught up in lie that the election was rigged and Trump pushed that to instigate the stop the vote movement.

She brought it on herself.

One thing I'm having an issue with is why it was ok for the BLM protesters to disobey the police while on the other side this idiot woman was shot for the same thing. BLM attacked police stations and federal buildings and I don't recall anyone calling for them to get shot.
Is this where we pretend that attacks on local police stations are the same as a very large mob having a sustained violent attack on Congress?

I swear…. There is a pathological need for equivalence in all things that it has just gotten silly.

Doesn't mean she should have paid with her life by an over zealous trigger happy cop.
Ah, now you say cops are overzealous and "trigger happy."
What happened to unarmed people should be stopped with tasers, rubber bullets, mace? How soon some forget their crazy double standards...
lol..the irony here.

She did not stand down when ordered to and kept advancing.

The officar had no idea that she was unarmed...

She had fought her way through the capital with the intention of killing the vice president and Pelosi (leaving behind 150 wounded cops) who was behind tbe door he was guarding...

His one shot one kill action showed very professional restraint...
Technically neither the VP nor Pelosi were behind those doors, but there were other Representatives and staff and reporters that I have no doubt her and those with her would have taken their aggression out on, likely killing some if they were able to get close to them.

"Deserved"?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I do know that the cop who shot her acted appropriately. There's no way to make a case that the crowd trying to break through the door was not violent. As a sworn law enforcement officer, the cop had a duty to act.

Whatever would've happened to him had they gotten through (and it's silly to think they would've just passed him by) is something he would not have deserved.

Babbit's death, while unfortunate, should be surprising to no one...
Thanks for your civil answer, unlike the shoot her in the face crowd.

She was part of a group of people Levying War Against The United States. All you have to do is watch the huge collection of video recorded on January 6th at the Trump rally and the Capitol. This group was trying to stop the sworn duty of elected officials gathered in a joint session of Congress to ratify the Electoral College Count for President because they were gullible enough to continue to believe a proven pathological liar.
STOP THE STUPID!

she was unarmed.
So were many others who were still justifiably shot, particularly when it could not be immediately determined by the shooter that she was in fact completely unarmed.

The guy eating the guy's face in Florida was not only unarmed, but completely naked and I don't see anyone arguing that he shouldn't have been shot and killed, that the officer shouldn't have tried to simply tackle and subdue him.

Is this where we pretend that attacks on local police stations are the same as a very large mob having a sustained violent attack on Congress?

I swear…. There is a pathological need for equivalence in all things that it has just gotten silly.

Well, the alternative is for them to recognize that they are defending insurrectionists, and they can't have that.

Anything that gets them attacking libs is far more preferable, and whether it makes sense is purely optional.

Really?

Pretty sure this,

"We will use our voices to stand against corruption, to fight hate, to defend Black and Brown lives."

is not at all the same as threatening the lives of others.

Jan 6 should be commemorated as Ashli Babbitt day. The Right can mourn while the rest of us celebrate like its the 4th of ****ing July.

Well, the alternative is for them to recognize that they are defending insurrectionists, and they can't have that.

Anything that gets them attacking libs is far more preferable, and whether it makes sense is purely optional.
I have become convinced that the martyrdom of Babbit is simply another performative move in the game of “CHECKMATE LIBS!!!!!”

They don’t care about her. They know that a violent mob attacking Congress would be met with violent defense. They know that if this was a group of leftists and the exact same thing happened that they would not only understand the shooting but cheer it on.

It is all performance. Nothing more.

Really?

Why not just use the n-word? Hiding behind the BLM dog whistle is cowardly.

Back
Top Bottom