• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In The Name of National Security?

Starik0865

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
There is currently much debate over the use of full body scanners in U.S. airports as well as hands-on physical searches of passengers, to include small children, and frankly I have thoughts on both sides of the debate. But what I do not understand and what drives me absolutely mad is how the Obama administration can continue to contradict themselves at the expense of the American people. Why is Janet Napolitano willing to skirt citizen privacy rights in the name of national security when it comes to airport screening, yet she and the Administration are dead set against a National I.D. card; a much less intrusive initiative, also aimed at preserving the security of American citizens? So, we can invade the privacy of people in our country just as long as we do not positively identify their country of citizenship. Great policy!

There is currently much debate over the use of full body scanners in U.S. airports as well as hands-on physical searches of passengers, to include small children, and frankly I have thoughts on both sides of the debate. But what I do not understand and what drives me absolutely mad is how the Obama administration can continue to contradict themselves at the expense of the American people. Why is Janet Napolitano willing to skirt citizen privacy rights in the name of national security when it comes to airport screening, yet she and the Administration are dead set against a National I.D. card; a much less intrusive initiative, also aimed at preserving the security of American citizens? So, we can invade the privacy of people in our country just as long as we do not positively identify their country of citizenship. Great policy!

We already have a National I.D. card. It's called a Social Security card. Just change the format and there ya' go. We don't have to continually re-invent the wheel.

As to why the Obama Administration is against it? It must have something to do with ease of voting. ;-)

Here's what the ACLU has to say:

"It is fundamentally a massive invasion of people's privacy," said Chris Calabrese, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "We're not only talking about fingerprinting every American, treating ordinary Americans like criminals in order to work. We're also talking about a card that would quickly spread from work to voting to travel to pretty much every aspect of American life that requires identification."

I wish the ACLU would STFU.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703954904575110124037066854.html

Last edited:
I've been patted down at an international airport before and I think it really doesn't matter. As long as I am safe and my family and friends are safe, I couldn't care less. We need to make sacrifices which will benefit us in the future in my opinion.

That said, it seems like everything these days is in the justification of "national security". I figured the US is pretty watertight so why all this?

Back
Top Bottom