• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In surprise move, Black Lives group endorses Portman

jmotivator

Computer Gaming Nerd
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
In surprise move, Black Lives group endorses Portman

“In the current atmosphere of identity politics, BLMCC understands that endorsing even a well-qualified Republican such as Portman seems controversial; despite the fact that it was minorities who suffered the brunt of Ted Strickland’s gross financial mismanagement,” Mixon states in the endorsement, which was first reported by Politico.

And

“We think the Democratic Party is able to take us for granted, to the point where they don’t have to do a damn thing for us,” Mixon said.

It's good to see that some people get it.

You can't vote 97% lockstep for a party and expect them to not take you for granted.

This was bound to happen eventually but I am surprised how rarely that it occurs. Life is deplorable in many areas of big blue cites yet the same brand of representatives and leaders retain power.

This was bound to happen eventually but I am surprised how rarely that it occurs. Life is deplorable in many areas of big blue cites yet the same brand of representatives and leaders retain power.

The only two things that a citizen can give to a politician in return for their attention is their vote and their money. Period.

Poor inner city blacks give away their vote for nothing and have no money.. so how well do you suppose the politician will attend to their needs?

The only two things that a citizen can give to a politician in return for their attention is their vote and their money. Period.

Poor inner city blacks give away their vote for nothing and have no money.. so how well do you suppose the politician will attend to their needs?
I still think the leadership of the African-American community demands African-Americans obey/comply with the democratic creed. Leadership within the African-American community is intense. Maybe African-Americans need new leadership...

Exactly, but it costs nothing to vote to replace them in a primary or general election. It costs little more to spend some time convincing others to join you in that effort.

To put this in perspective, this is only one local chapter of the BLM movement from The Cuyahoga County group located in Cinncinnati, OH, not the national BLM chapter itself. The organization as a whole is still endorsing Hillary Clinton; however, this local chapter in endorsing Sen. Rob Portman is merely taking "the lessor of two evils" route since they "weren't impressed by Ted Stickland", the challenger, at all.

From the OP article:

The Cuyahoga County group, which is not affiliated with the national organization, endorsed Clinton in the presidential election. In its endorsement of Portman, the Black Lives Matter group acknowledged its support for Portman could spark dissension.

“In the current atmosphere of identity politics, BLMCC understands that endorsing even a well-qualified Republican such as Portman seems controversial; despite the fact that it was minorities who suffered the brunt of Ted Strickland’s gross financial mismanagement,” Mixon states in the endorsement.

So, I wouldn't make too much of a big deal out of this. Frankly, I'd think the local BLM chapter would get some props from Republicans for at least demonstrating that at least in some political circles at least not all Black people are towing the liberal party line. I guess we can never do Right in some people's eyes. :-(

To put this in perspective, this is only one local chapter of the BLM movement from The Cuyahoga County group located in Cinncinnati, OH, not the national BLM chapter itself. The organization as a whole is still endorsing Hillary Clinton; however, this local chapter in endorsing Sen. Rob Portman is merely taking "the lessor of two evils" route since they "weren't impressed by Ted Stickland", the challenger, at all.

From the OP article:

So, I wouldn't make too much of a big deal out of this. Frankly, I'd think the local BLM chapter would get some props from Republicans for at least demonstrating that at least in some political circles at least not all Black people are towing the liberal party line. I guess we can never do Right in some people's eyes. :-(

Nobody has claimed that it was anything other than what was spelled out in the article.

I would say your "lesser of two evils" comment is misrepresenting the story more than anything others here have stated. From the story the chapter leadership doesn't see Portman as a "lessor of two evils" at all.

Nobody has claimed that it was anything other than what was spelled out in the article.

I would say your "lesser of two evils" comment is misrepresenting the story more than anything others here have stated. From the story the chapter leadership doesn't see Portman as a "lessor of two evils" at all.

Fair enough...

BLMCC apparently sees Gov. Strictland as someone who doesn't have their best interests at heart. So, they're switching sides giving Portman a chance to demonstrate he can do better for the Black community. I don't have a problem with that seeing that I've voted across party lines rather frequently myself.

Presumably those blacks are rational voters so if those elected democrats are doing a poor job for them, the GOP alternative has failed to make his or her case at all.

You've also disregarded that in cities (or anywhere else dominated by a single party) it's in the primaries where voters make the real choice, and a candidate/elected official, democrat or not, can and often will be ousted for another democrat if he or she has failed big parts of the electorate. Heck, that's happening now but on the GOP side in my little part of the world. I WILL be represented in the state house by a republican, but there is a bitter battle among 4 republicans for the primary, and it looks like the incumbent is toast - I hope so. So their views and how they've done as elected officials does matter, even though no democrat in my area has a chance of winning. Same thing in the cities, but different party.

Back
Top Bottom