• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In support of Northam

You're crying about a banjo remark and spamming personal attacks on an internet forum.

Gosh....you're so vain.

You give yourself way too much credit in thinking that anyone is going to cry over any of your remarks.

Gosh....you're so vain.

You give yourself way too much credit in thinking that anyone is going to cry over any of your remarks.

Again, I'll remind you, you're spamming personal attacks on the internet and crying (we'll say complaining if that helps your feelings) about a banjo quip. How pathetic.

Again, I'll remind you, you're spamming personal attacks on the internet and crying (we'll say complaining if that helps your feelings) about a banjo quip. How pathetic.

No, I point you out because you are the first one on here to call other people bigots & racists while acting out the same way yourself.

Pretty simple stuff.

Personal attacks? I can cut & paste quite a few of yours if you want to go down that road too while we are at it.

No, I point you out because you are the first one on here to call other people bigots & racists while acting out the same way yourself.

That's a lie. I've never done any such thing. I call claims, arguments or positions racist. You apologize for those positions by snowflaking it into personal crap so as to avoid the argument. No one can ever talk about racism around such a person, they will make it personal to protect their pathetic beliefs.

You can't provide a quote. Your personal attacks have now taken the form of outright lies.

Personal attacks? I can cut & paste quite a few of yours if you want to go down that road too while we are at it.

Get to it.

You keep saying that. Who filled your head with that leftist propagandist lying crap?

Facts do have a Left leaning bias

Facts do have a Left leaning bias

In the real world we call that prejudicial spinning lying crappy interpretations of truth sucked up like Kool-Aid by deluded minds.

While I do kind of get a kick out of all the media and politicians squirming in their seats over this guy and the picture I do want to be fair to him, as I'd hope others would be fair in different circumstances.

This picture was taken in 1984. That's 35 years ago and, frankly, a lifetime ago from a sociological perspective. Back then it wasn't uncommon to look at issues of race from a sarcastic perspective. We often made fun of racial issues as a way of pointing out the silliness of ever having had any real hatred. TV shows such as The Jeffersons, Benson, Different Strokes and The Cosby Show, among others, poked fun at racists. This episode of Saturday Night Live features Billy Crystal in blackface talking to Joe Piscopo. Does anyone really think Billy Crystal was doing that because he was a racist?

Times change. People change. Things we thought were funny or "cool" in one generation are often looked at with scorn in subsequent generations. It's just the way things go. It's also rather unfair to expect someone to look 35 years in the future and envision an act which is seen as relevant and provocative in the current time to be offensive in the later time.

There is plenty of reason to dislike Northam. His support of a vile "abortion" bill is enough. But the "racism" bit is, in my opinion, very much overblown. Unless the guy has a history of disenfranchising blacks it's rather unfair to use one picture from a generation ago to judge him today.

I agree with much of what you said here.

I was a little asshole in 1984 and I was 22. There were things I said and did then that I think back on and said "How could I have done that?".

The "racism" angle here is overblown given that it was 35 years ago, and I still don't see any evidence in his time as a public servant that he's a racist. I also think this is starting to set a bad precedent. Most people have "skeletons" in their closets from their youths. This will make it so that nobody is ever going to want to run for office if there is a fear that some idiotic thing he did in his youth (and early 20s is your youth) that was not illegal, but was stupid, will be dredged up and used against him 3 decades later.

I was a little asshole in 1984 and I was 22. There were things I said and did then that I think back on and said "How could I have done that?".

The "racism" angle here is overblown given that it was 35 years ago, and I still don't see any evidence in his time as a public servant that he's a racist. I also think this is starting to set a bad precedent. Most people have "skeletons" in their closets from their youths. This will make it so that nobody is ever going to want to run for office if there is a fear that some idiotic thing he did in his youth (and early 20s is your youth) that was not illegal, but was stupid, will be dredged up and used against him 3 decades later.

The stunning ineptitude of Northam's staff of political operatives and his own stunning ineptitude should be enough to get him to quit in shame. I am fully capable of understanding how generations of Americans of all races being taught from birth that it is advantageous to be born white in this country can create the sort of nonsense that was going on at Virginia Medical even as late as 1984. Northam and his staff's ineptitude in dealing with the issues of that photo in any sort of effective manner here in 2019 and Northam's complete obliviousness of his own racial bias much exposed in his laughable explanations are the issue now. They are staggering for the ignorance of ingrained and institutionalized racial bias and lack of simple competence they expose.

The stunning ineptitude of Northam's staff of political operatives and his own stunning ineptitude should be enough to get him to quit in shame. I am fully capable of understanding how generations of Americans of all races being taught from birth that it is advantageous to be born white in this country can create the sort of nonsense that was going on at Virginia Medical even as late as 1984. Northam and his staff's ineptitude in dealing with the issues of that photo in any sort of effective manner here in 2019 and Northam's complete obliviousness of his own racial bias much exposed in his laughable explanations are the issue now. They are staggering for the ignorance of ingrained and institutionalized racial bias and lack of simple competence they expose.

Okay, but I didn't post anything about his handling or his staff's handling of the issue. I posted in response to what Luther said, which for the most part I agree with.

While I do kind of get a kick out of all the media and politicians squirming in their seats over this guy and the picture I do want to be fair to him, as I'd hope others would be fair in different circumstances.

This picture was taken in 1984. That's 35 years ago and, frankly, a lifetime ago from a sociological perspective. Back then it wasn't uncommon to look at issues of race from a sarcastic perspective. We often made fun of racial issues as a way of pointing out the silliness of ever having had any real hatred. TV shows such as The Jeffersons, Benson, Different Strokes and The Cosby Show, among others, poked fun at racists. This episode of Saturday Night Live features Billy Crystal in blackface talking to Joe Piscopo. Does anyone really think Billy Crystal was doing that because he was a racist?

Times change. People change. Things we thought were funny or "cool" in one generation are often looked at with scorn in subsequent generations. It's just the way things go. It's also rather unfair to expect someone to look 35 years in the future and envision an act which is seen as relevant and provocative in the current time to be offensive in the later time.

There is plenty of reason to dislike Northam. His support of a vile "abortion" bill is enough. But the "racism" bit is, in my opinion, very much overblown. Unless the guy has a history of disenfranchising blacks it's rather unfair to use one picture from a generation ago to judge him today.

I have to agree with most conservatives when they say life is anything but fair and that's especially true in politics. Other than saying it's not fair, I don't know if you think he should quit or be removed. I believe he should go by whatever means necessary.

Giving someone born after a generation has passed is one thing. But I don't care if it's been 5 or 50 years later, his generation knew better and he was plenty old enough to know that. Furthermore he admitted to using shoe polish at the same time, claiming it's hard to remove. I trust you know what that means, he did it more than once. Then add his given moniker of, 'Coonman' makes it obvious that the pic isn't the only damming incident.

Also, literally every Dem I've heard respond to this, agrees with me. Add to that, the Republicans will make use of this to their advantage. Add to that, his replacement is black and after he shows that he can do the job, it'll help him get elected as governor. You may think that color shouldn't be an issue, but blacks are very underrepresent in all level of government and I believe this needs to be remedied anyway possible. Call me a racist, but in this case I believe he deserves to be removed.

There are far too many politicians who have no skeletons, who are well suited for the job and who will love to run. The Dems don't need to make excuses for him when we have an out and out racist in the WH. I blame Numnuts for his racism 35 years ago, I don't see why I should be a hypocrite about this...

Last edited:

Although I hear what you're saying, this particular politician spent month painting his opponent as a racist with exactly zero evidence to support it. No, in this case, it seems fitting that the chickens are coming home!

Tim-

Although I hear what you're saying, this particular politician spent month painting his opponent as a racist with exactly zero evidence to support it. No, in this case, it seems fitting that the chickens are coming home!

Tim-

That's what Democrats do! Everyone that isn't a Democrat is a racist. It's been that way since 2008.

That's what Democrats do! Everyone that isn't a Democrat is a racist. It's been that way since 2008.

I know that's what they do, but up until very recently, most voting democrats weren't giddily playing the same game. I've been around 50 years now, old enough to know the Carter years (Although barely) but politically active during Reagan's administration, and I've never seen the country shift so dramatically in the years of Obama, and Trump.. Have you? And.. this is without rose colored glasses on.. I can't even blame Trump, I put most of this on the Obama swing left.. He has forever changed that party, and I don't think there's any way they come back from it. People, by and large, are drive by's now; social media has turned us (not all of us) into robots, outrage machines, knee-jerk professionals. We seem to lose all common sense, just so long as the target is wearing the other uniform..

I really do fear for the nation, I don't see a way out of this. There is going to be a lot of pain before it can even begin to heal, but it's only going to take a spark in the right place for it to happen. When and where, or even how remains to be seen, but democrats (ok that's not entirely fair) really progressive leftists are banging on the wrong drum, and eventually they're going to bang it somewhere they really shouldn't and all hell is going to break loose.. It's not if, it's when!

Tim-

I know that's what they do, but up until very recently, most voting democrats weren't giddily playing the same game. I've been around 50 years now, old enough to know the Carter years (Although barely) but politically active during Reagan's administration, and I've never seen the country shift so dramatically in the years of Obama, and Trump.. Have you? And.. this is without rose colored glasses on.. I can't even blame Trump, I put most of this on the Obama swing left.. He has forever changed that party, and I don't think there's any way they come back from it. People, by and large, are drive by's now; social media has turned us (not all of us) into robots, outrage machines, knee-jerk professionals. We seem to lose all common sense, just so long as the target is wearing the other uniform..

I really do fear for the nation, I don't see a way out of this. There is going to be a lot of pain before it can even begin to heal, but it's only going to take a spark in the right place for it to happen. When and where, or even how remains to be seen, but democrats (ok that's not entirely fair) really progressive leftists are banging on the wrong drum, and eventually they're going to bang it somewhere they really shouldn't and all hell is going to break loose.. It's not if, it's when!

Tim-

No doubt about it. The Democrats have been moving left since Johnson but once Obama hit the top spot the ultra left wing grabbed the whole party by the sack and dragged them to places Castro would be proud of.

This post is nothing except hedging to keep racist republicans in office.

Additionally, you flat out say the only reason he should resign is because Democrats. That's openly supporting racism.

That post reads like it's coming from a white hood.

How utterly stupid. All my post says is that Democrats should live by the same standards they apply to Republicans. Do you not agree that this should be the case? That you have to fall back on the racist schtick is quite weak and also uncalled for seeing as how I've never once posted anything remotely racist in here. Yet, that doesn't keep you guys from calling me and other conservatives racist. It really reflects a paucity of ideas on the part of liberals. It's tired and it's failing. Time to let it go.

How utterly stupid. All my post says is that Democrats should live by the same standards they apply to Republicans. Do you not agree that this should be the case? That you have to fall back on the racist schtick is quite weak and also uncalled for seeing as how I've never once posted anything remotely racist in here. Yet, that doesn't keep you guys from calling me and other conservatives racist. It really reflects a paucity of ideas on the part of liberals. It's tired and it's failing. Time to let it go.

Your post was totally racist and hedging for racists.

You're either a liar or not too bright. That's the only conclusion fair minded people can reach.

If that's true, why are spewing crap at me?

If you support a racist, what are we to call you?

If that's true, why are spewing crap at me?

Because you have mischaracterized my post in an effort to call me a racist. It's simple. You either agree that Democrats should live by the rules they apply to others or they do not. If not, then why should anyone else pay attention to them?

Because you have mischaracterized my post in an effort to call me a racist. It's simple. You either agree that Democrats should live by the rules they apply to others or they do not. If not, then why should anyone else pay attemtion to them?

I'm good with letting the evidence speak for itself. I don't need to attack you personally or any of the other horsecrap you're engaged in.

Your post was racist. It hedged for racists.

Call me "not too bright" again. I'm sure that will convince many.

I'm good with letting the evidence speak for itself. I don't need to attack you personally or any of the other horsecrap you're engaged in.

Your post was racist. It hedged for racists.

Call me "not too bright" again. I'm sure that will convince many.

Anyone reading my post and your response won't need any convincing. You simply like to go around here calling people racists because you don't have anything else.

Anyone reading my post and your response won't need any convincing. You simply like to go around here calling people racists because you don't have anything else.

Stop snowflaking. I didn't call you a racist. I called your post racist. How are we ever to point out and stop racism if every time someone does people get all "did you call me a bitch!?!?"

Just because someone attacks something you do does not mean they attack you personally. If you take everything personally, no one will be able to discuss anything. Butch up. Stop pretending to be a victim.

Back
Top Bottom