• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In PEI, the right to choose: No longer 'the shame of being shipped off the island'

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
In PEI, the right to choose: No longer 'the shame of being shipped off the island' from the Globe and Mail.

The change, announced Thursday by Liberal Premier Wade MacLauchlan in the face of a court challenge by a pro-choice group, is being heralded as a victory for reproductive choice for women.

“The idea that women aren’t going to have to go through the fight I did, and feel the shame of being shipped off the island and hide, is so important,” Ms. Fraser, a 29-year-old mother of three, said Friday from PEI. “I hope women never know what it’s like to jump over barrier after barrier. I didn’t think this day was ever going to come. It’s been so long, it feels surreal.”

The group behind the legal challenge, Abortion Access Now PEI Inc., said it didn’t know until the last minute how the government of PEI was going to respond to its suit. After three decades of political opposition to abortion in PEI, where the issue remains politically divisive, advocates wondered if the Premier would announce he was going to fight it.

Facing a court challenge, the Liberal premier of Prince Edward Island capitulated and decided to allow abortion in the province apparently after having a conversation with Prime Minster Justin Trudeau. This is a step forward for the tiny province and women's rights as Trump's recent ramblings have sparked controversy in the US the second last to fully support access to abortion.

For those of you who do not know in 1988 all of the criminal laws against abortion were thrown out after a Supreme Court case against Dr. Morgentaler. Since then there have been no new laws and the realm of abortion in Canada has been a kind of wild west with attempts to create news laws are met with staunch opposition and last time resignations. Except in New Brunswick and PEI where they passed their own resolutions banning or limiting abortion. Other provinces allowed it after 1988 and the cost is covered by the province.

Re: In PEI, the right to choose: No longer 'the shame of being shipped off the island

Let's just inform people that the population of the entire Province of Prince Edward Island is under 150,000. If an abortion clinic can make an economic business case and a go of it in such a situation, let them have at it. I'm guessing many on this quaint and traditional island aren't exactly trumpeting this move as progress, but I'm sure a couple of dozen women who didn't want to travel to the mainland - a nice trip, by the way - will be delighted and they'll have no problem navigating through the wagging tongues of their neighbours.

Re: In PEI, the right to choose: No longer 'the shame of being shipped off the island

I never see abortion as a positive thing, but rather a choice between what a women perceives as the lessor of two negative things.

But after making what for many women must be an extremely difficult heart-wrenching decision, to have them further face the prospect of ostracization by one's province would seem to be an added unnecessary indignity.

In PEI, the right to choose: No longer 'the shame of being shipped off the island' from the Globe and Mail.

Facing a court challenge, the Liberal premier of Prince Edward Island capitulated and decided to allow abortion in the province apparently after having a conversation with Prime Minster Justin Trudeau. This is a step forward for the tiny province and women's rights as Trump's recent ramblings have sparked controversy in the US the second last to fully support access to abortion.

For those of you who do not know in 1988 all of the criminal laws against abortion were thrown out after a Supreme Court case against Dr. Morgentaler. Since then there have been no new laws and the realm of abortion in Canada has been a kind of wild west with attempts to create news laws are met with staunch opposition and last time resignations. Except in New Brunswick and PEI where they passed their own resolutions banning or limiting abortion. Other provinces allowed it after 1988 and the cost is covered by the province.

I am not at all sure that it is "a step forward" to allow girls to kill humans to protect themselves from the consequences of their pursuit of unfettered fun and games.

Let's just inform people that the population of the entire Province of Prince Edward Island is under 150,000. If an abortion clinic can make an economic business case and a go of it in such a situation, let them have at it. I'm guessing many on this quaint and traditional island aren't exactly trumpeting this move as progress, but I'm sure a couple of dozen women who didn't want to travel to the mainland - a nice trip, by the way - will be delighted and they'll have no problem navigating through the wagging tongues of their neighbours.

It does not matter what the people think this is allowing women to exercise their rights. Some people cannot afford to make the trip or have to time, and they should not have to worry about that.

So many sparsely populated areas have poor access to health care to save their lives. And people are concerned about the availability of abortion.

I favor abortion being legal, but in some places you can't get heart surgery that you need without travelling. Availability of abortion is the least of the problems.

It does not matter what the people think this is allowing women to exercise their rights. Some people cannot afford to make the trip or have to time, and they should not have to worry about that.

Excuses are a dime a dozen, but it's cool - I'm sure none of their neighbours or family/friends will see them going in and out of PEI's lone abortion clinic or perhaps women on PEI don't feel embarrassed about ending an unwanted pregnancy. Seems to me, many in the abortion threads here have claimed that embarrassment about having an abortion is prevalent and one of the reasons why women don't share their experiences.

Excuses are a dime a dozen, but it's cool - I'm sure none of their neighbours or family/friends will see them going in and out of PEI's lone abortion clinic or perhaps women on PEI don't feel embarrassed about ending an unwanted pregnancy. Seems to me, many in the abortion threads here have claimed that embarrassment about having an abortion is prevalent and one of the reasons why women don't share their experiences.

It is because people like you seem to shun them, that is why. Those are valid issues, that are now being addressed.

So many sparsely populated areas have poor access to health care to save their lives. And people are concerned about the availability of abortion.

I favor abortion being legal, but in some places you can't get heart surgery that you need without travelling. Availability of abortion is the least of the problems.

An excellent point Rocket. Even here in Toronto, the largest city in Canada and one of the largest on the continent, there are lots of life saving medical treatments that are either not available or that are not funding by universal healthcare, but you can be sure there's ready access to abortion.

It is because people like you seem to shun them, that is why. Those are valid issues, that are now being addressed.

Sorry - but when you make comments like "they don't have time", that tends to trivialize the concern, in my view.

Sorry - but when you make comments like "they don't have time", that tends to trivialize the concern, in my view.

That is a very realistic probability, a lot of people cannot get enough time off to go out of province to get an abortion which would require multiple days off in a row.

That is a very realistic probability, a lot of people cannot get enough time off to go out of province to get an abortion which would require multiple days off in a row.

One of those things a responsible person considers when pursuing an unwanted pregnancy.

One of those things a responsible person considers when pursuing an unwanted pregnancy.

Unwanted pregnancy happens to even the most responsible couples.

Unwanted pregnancy happens to even the most responsible couples.

And responsible couples without the time or the means who unwittingly become the victims of unwanted pregnancies is a rampant problem in PEI - who knew? Couples considering vacations on the island should be forewarned, as a public service if nothing else.

And responsible couples without the time or the means who unwittingly become the victims of unwanted pregnancies is a rampant problem in PEI - who knew? Couples considering vacations on the island should be forewarned, as a public service if nothing else.

It does not matter PEI should be able to offer the service regardless.

It does not matter PEI should be able to offer the service regardless.

Indeed. They had chosen for decades not to offer the service, was that okay too? I'm guessing not, from your perspective. It will be interesting to see if a going concern can be made of providing abortions in such a location. Perhaps they could start a sideline in sex counselling.

Indeed. They had chosen for decades not to offer the service, was that okay too? I'm guessing not, from your perspective. It will be interesting to see if a going concern can be made of providing abortions in such a location. Perhaps they could start a sideline in sex counselling.

No it was denying their rights. It will force the province to provide abortions or in the very least fully pay the cost for leaving the province.

Oh, come on now--people like CJ "seem to shun them"?

I am not familiar with the cultural mores of Prince Edward's Island, but every society does have its mores. And expectations and taboos too.

Oh, come on now--people like CJ "seem to shun them"?

I am not familiar with the cultural mores of Prince Edward's Island, but every society does have its mores. And expectations and taboos too.

That does not mean you can suppress people's rights. China uses the same excuse to justify their lack of rights and freedoms.

No it was denying their rights. It will force the province to provide abortions or in the very least fully pay the cost for leaving the province.

What prohibited the Province from being "forced" to do so previously?

I'm sure the good people of PEI will be delighted to see their tax dollars splurged on a multi-day trip to the mainland for those who happened to be victimized by pregnancy.

An excellent point Rocket. Even here in Toronto, the largest city in Canada and one of the largest on the continent, there are lots of life saving medical treatments that are either not available or that are not funding by universal healthcare, but you can be sure there's ready access to abortion.

It's certainly a good point, but it's also worth pointing out that offering abortion services is far less of an undertaking than heart surgery.

What prohibited the Province from being "forced" to do so previously?

I'm sure the good people of PEI will be delighted to see their tax dollars splurged on a multi-day trip to the mainland for those who happened to be victimized by pregnancy.

Mounting political and legal pressure, it finally reached breaking point with this new legal challenge and the new federal government. I am sure they would be delighted to spend their tax dollars on a legal challenge to defend an indefensible edict. They also do not have to spend that money if they just provided the abortions on the island.

It's certainly a good point, but it's also worth pointing out that offering abortion services is far less of an undertaking than heart surgery.

Quite true - however, there are significant wait times here in Canada - all over the country - to receive heart surgery. Would be interesting to know how many residents of PEI have to travel to the mainland - finding that nasty time and resources to do so - to receive life saving heart surgery or any number of other life saving/improving services.

Mounting political and legal pressure, it finally reached breaking point with this new legal challenge and the new federal government. I am sure they would be delighted to spend their tax dollars on a legal challenge to defend an indefensible edict. They also do not have to spend that money if they just provided the abortions on the island.

So Justin Trudeau threatened threatened PEI's healthcare transfer payments if they didn't start providing abortionists in the neighbourhood. Another of our new Prime Minister's great moves. Let's see how many Liberal members of parliament get reelected from PEI next time around.

The local newspaper seems to think abortion access is a good idea

Province makes correct decision in abortion debate
To its credit, the province didn’t stop with a decision allowing abortions in a P.E.I. hospital setting by the end of 2016. Health P.E.I. has been directed to begin planning for a full women’s reproductive health centre that will offer a number of services besides medical and surgical abortions.

The agency is to plan for pre- and post-natal counselling, fertility, and post-partum support services. These additions have drawn support from both sides.

Back
Top Bottom