• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

in italy the cannabis

Aramone

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
in Italy in September we are discussed in parliament, whether to legalize cannabis.
What do you think, Italy is right to engage these issues, do you think the Italian parliament will still be able to engage this discussion, as you do in America?

Last edited:
We'll be seeing more and more states move toward legalization every year. At some point it will just make sense for the government to reclassify it.

On the other hand, as the article points out: "For the time being I don't think it would be wise to imply that marijuana is increasing crime rates in Seattle or Denver."

I've spent LOTS of time in both cities, particularly downtown. Now, you can't walk down the street in downtown Denver without wasted potheads roaming around all over the place, smoking openly.

It used to be very family friendly down there. Now, nobody wants to take their kids downtown.

your thinking makes me think a lot, I do not use cannabis and are not entirely agree to legalize it. Italy is not ready to legalize something that knows not control

I've spent LOTS of time in both cities, particularly downtown. Now, you can't walk down the street in downtown Denver without wasted potheads roaming around all over the place, smoking openly.

It used to be very family friendly down there. Now, nobody wants to take their kids downtown.

Smoking pot in public should only be allowed in brown paper bags. ;)

I live here, and it's pretty much always been like that. It's a bit more out in the open now, but it's not like it suddenly became strewn with stoned hispters all of a sudden. It was always strewn with stoned hipsters.

I still take my daughter to Denver.

I live here, and it's pretty much always been like that. It's a bit more out in the open now, but it's not like it suddenly became strewn with stoned hispters all of a sudden. It was always strewn with stoned hipsters.

I read an article on the effect of legalization in Colorado and it basically says it was successful decision.

But it tended to stay on one side of downtown before, and nobody was smoking openly.

Now, they flaunt it in your face because they can. And right on 14th Street near all the nice stuff.

I'm done with Denver.

I read an article on the effect of legalization in Colorado and it basically says it was successful decision.

The state has made money hand over fist with it. People keep trying to say that it's increased car fatalities or crime, but they don't actually have the correlated statistics to back any of that up.

As for now, it seems to be quite the success.

But it tended to stay on one side of downtown before, and nobody was smoking openly.

Now, they flaunt it in your face because they can. And right on 14th Street near all the nice stuff.

I'm done with Denver.

Or, to the OP, you can craft the law so that it is good for Italy. Every state that has legalized it for recreational and those for medical have different law as to where and when it can be used. Like with alcohol.

I'm done with Denver.

Pfft, people were smoking openly. I admit, the frequency has increased somewhat, but for decades weed has been pretty much accepted in this State. Hell, when we had medical marijuana but not legalized, you know how hard it was to get the medical marijuana card? One of my friends went to the doctor and said that he gets headaches sometimes and feels depressed occasionally and he got his card. It's not like NJ, where it's all but impossible.

And I mean, it's illegal in NYC, but you see people smoking up openly all the time there.

So the state of openess has pretty much gone unchanged. There is some uptick, as to be expected, but it's not like this massive takeover. And before it was legal, i would go to towns (even Denver) and people would come up and either offer a hit or ask for a hit. It wasn't uncommon. That's why I don't buy a lot of these "studies" because it's been this way for decades in this State. Legalizing it didn't really change how it was treated or looked at, it just emboldened a few to be a little more open, but it was pretty well open before hand.

The state has made money hand over fist with it. People keep trying to say that it's increased car fatalities or crime, but they don't actually have the correlated statistics to back any of that up.

You see all that flak coming now because they are really trying to turn up the propo before the election. If CA legalizes that's the entire West Coast and it will be just a matter of time before it's federal.

Yea I read it too but if we are discussing about the positive side of the legalization is it's good enough because things didn't get worse.

Yea I read it too but if we are discussing about the positive side of the legalization is it's good enough because things didn't get worse.

The major downside is that housing prices are blowing up. People are moving in from all over the place and over-inflating the cost of homes. Some of the other raises in absolute values of accidents and crime may be able to be attributed to the unusual increase in immigration to the state.

I want pot to become more widely legalized so that people stop moving in here.

your thinking makes me think a lot, I do not use cannabis and are not entirely agree to legalize it. Italy is not ready to legalize something that knows not control

I am not inclined to entirely legalize it here either. I would, however, support reclassifying it from the list of "dangerous drugs" that regulates it now.

I doubt that if it were legalized in Italy it would be "uncontrolled". Your guilds tend to regulate the manufacture of everything. Maybe you could have a "Marijuana Reggiano" plant next to the Parmigiano Reggiano factory!

Well, it's driven the crime rate up in Denver and Seattle, which used to be great cities to visit. You should think twice about it.

Crime Rates Are Soaring in Seattle and Denver -- Is Marijuana to Blame? -- The Motley Fool

Correlation does not equal causation. There si no evidence that those crime increases have anything to do with marijuana. What do you think marijuana does? Makes people into criminals?

Also from your article:
There are so many variables that the aforementioned data doesn't account for that it's probably best to treat this correlation as nothing more than an interesting coincidence at the moment. Things like weather patterns, the economy, the strength of a law enforcement agency, citizens' attitude toward crime, population density and stability, crime reporting activity of citizens, and cultural factors are just some factors that could influence crime rates within a city. In fact, Denver County's crime rate was moving higher on a regular basis (with the exception of 2012) before recreational marijuana was legalized. For all we know we could merely be seeing a continuation of that pattern in Denver County without any effect from marijuana's legalization.

The major downside is that housing prices are blowing up. People are moving in from all over the place and over-inflating the cost of homes. Some of the other raises in absolute values of accidents and crime may be able to be attributed to the unusual increase in immigration to the state.

That si not the only reason, Colorado is known to have one of the best cities to live in the US, especially Denver.

That si not the only reason, Colorado is known to have one of the best cities to live in the US, especially Denver.

Keep out!

Hahha, but no, Colorado is the greatest state in the entire Republic. this is undeniable. I used to live in Fort Collins, which is continually being voted one of the best cities in America. I had to move more towards Denver for my job, though. It's OK, but northern CO is the best CO, IMO.

But the value of your house also get higher so it's ok, unless you are young man who don't have house.

But the value of your house also get higher so it's ok, unless you are young man who don't have house.

That is the problem, skyrocketing housing costs benefit those who own a house but screw over the younger generation. Then the older generation complains about young people living at home or not wanting to start a family. But I imagine that Colorado has not really seen such a dramatic price increase as that, yet.

That is the problem, skyrocketing housing costs benefit those who own a house but screw over the younger generation. Then the older generation complains about young people living at home or not wanting to start a family. But I imagine that Colorado has not really seen such a dramatic price increase as that, yet.

We saw that happen in Oregon during our Californication phase (and no, the RHCP did not come up with that - they stole it). Prices doubled and then tripled over the course of a few years.

Anyway they can increase the supply and lower the prices.

Back
Top Bottom