• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In historic move, House panel votes to advance slavery reparations bill

Reparations. The American Nazis' worst nightmare.
Yes, if you are against reparations paid to people who were never slaves paid by people who never owned slaves, you must be a Nazi.

That's how this works now, apparently. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No, we aren’t, because some people are desperate to pretend that the Confederacy wasn’t fighting for slavery.....and it explicitly was.

Go ahead and keep going down a rabbit hole

It s a free country(LOL)

Pass it on to their descendants, same as anyone else :rolleyes:

The person paying reparations would presumably be the US Government and/or state governments; legal persons capable of owning property, entering contracts, being sued for past misdeeds etc. As for the "people who have never been slaves" idiotic rhetoric, see above.

So your family voluntarily chose to affiliate itself with the US Government? Was there a box on the application form which said "We accept only the beneficial parts of this association, and retain the right to refuse any downsides that come with it"? Bit of a shame for you that they forgot to check 'yes' on that one, I suppose :(

It may well be reasonable; maybe there should be a commission on that too. I do believe you are the only sensible person who has posted a negative reaction in this thread, and you've posted what I suspect is the only reasonable concern around this issue: The fear that if really done properly, it would either bankrupt the nation or open floodgates which would (more notably, in cases regarding treatment of native Americans post-independence). I'm not sure that fear is a good enough reason to do nothing, however.

Edit: For those genuinely interested in some relevant legal principles, Mark Twain in The Case of George Fisher documents a 19th-century case of the US Government bending over backwards to pay reparations supposedly due to a white man's descendents.

Your observation is cryptic and useless and not really connected to any point I addressed.

Go ahead and keep going down a rabbit hole

It s a free country(LOL)

Only because the Confederacy was crushed.

Lol.

And there’s no rabbit hole to go down.....the Confederates were very open about the fact that they were fighting for slavery.

My guess is if you're white, you pay. I somehow doubt anyone including the government will be combing through genealogical records of anyone.

I think you're probably right.

My guess is also that people with darker skin who have absolutely no connection to ANYONE who was EVER a victim of slavery would get cash as well.

Politics does not require wisdom, knowledge, fairness or facts to thrive. This is a political scam advanced by liars and thieves.

What could possibly go wrong?

My guess is also . . . .

Politics does not require wisdom, knowledge, fairness or facts to thrive.

As you and other have just eloquently proven with your 'guesswork' approach to political analysis(y)

As you and other have just eloquently proven with your 'guesswork' approach to political analysis(y)

Never surprised by your ability to never miss the chance to understand another's point of view.

Back
Top Bottom