• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In historic move, House panel votes to advance slavery reparations bill

Luther

Another California Refugee
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It's worse out here than i thought

Washington — A House panel advanced a decades-long effort to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves by approving legislation Wednesday that would create a commission to study the issue. It's the first time the House Judiciary Committee has acted on the legislation.

Still, prospects for final passage remain poor in such a closely divided Congress. The vote to advance the measure to the full House was 25-17, after a lengthy and often passionate debate that stretched late into the night.

Majority Leader Steny Hoyer told CBS News he didn't know when it would be scheduled for consideration on the House floor. The bill's sponsor, Representative Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, told CBS News she hopes the full House could vote on it this summer.

I'm not sure why the idea of a commission to look into the idea horrifies you so much.

Does it bother you that America might actually have to look into it's ugly past, acknowledge the way it spent hundreds of years systemically mistreating black people, and do something to make amends?

Does it bother you that America might actually have to look into it's ugly past, acknowledge the way it spent hundreds of years systemically mistreating black people, and do something to make amends?
We already look into our ugly past. Schools do it all the time.

And NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SINS OF THEIR ANCESTORS.

Schools named after Confederate traitors in towns with statues of Klansman in the public squares.

We learn about slavery in school. We learn about the Civil War. Are we taught the true gravity of that ugliness, the ensuing century plus of Jim Crow laws, and the generational disadvantage that put so very many people in? And if we do a good job of that, of teaching the true horror of what black people were put through, why do so many whites desperately cling to the vestiges of the those who declared war on America to maintain what they saw as a god given right to own them?

Gee, maybe the Confederate Party should have thought twice before celebrating those who fought for slavery(wink).

Except that isn't the case here;)

I'm not sure why the idea of a commission to look into the idea horrifies you so much.

I don't know

The discriminate Irish and Chinese turbaned out alright(wink)

Schools named after Confederate traitors in towns with statues of Klansman in the public squares.

We learn about slavery in school. We learn about the Civil War. Are we taught the true gravity of that ugliness, the ensuing century plus of Jim Crow laws, and the generational disadvantage that put so very many people in? And if we do a good job of that, of teaching the true horror of what black people were put through, why do so many whites desperately cling to the vestiges of the those who declared war on America to maintain what they saw as a god given right to own them?

Confederate traitors

You mean people who were for states rights?

...but you can sure as hell keep reaping those benefits without missing a beat though, amirite?

Commissions tend to be very useful. Then you can say you are advancing the issue, while actually just have some suits debating it for years and doing nothing. Commissions are there to bury issues without actually bury them.

How is it logical or justifiable that people who have never owned slaves pay reparations to people who have never been slaves in the name of slavery reparations? 😕

How is it logical or justifiable that people who have never owned slaves pay reparations to people who have never been slaves in the name of slavery reparations? 😕
it's not but the left wants vengeance because emotion and social justice are their bulwarks of politics

It's worse out here than i thought

No person in my family migrated to this country until AFTER the Civil War.

When they moved here, they moved to Minnesota.

Minnesota fought on the side of the Union. Ostensibly, then, Minnesota spent time and treasure and lives to eradicate slavery.

Do I get money or pay money under the stupidities defined in this bill?

No person in my family migrated to this country until AFTER the Civil War.

When they moved here, they moved to Minnesota.

Minnesota fought on the side of the Union. Ostensibly, then, Minnesota spent time and treasure and lives to eradicate slavery.

Do I get money or pay money under the stupidities defined in this bill?
That you are worried about this is odd. No one is coming for YOUR money.

it's not but the left wants vengeance because emotion and social justice are their bulwarks of politics
The idea is idiotic!!!! Know this, It wasn't only those of European stock in the USA that owned slaves before the practice was abolished.
The indigenous peoples owned many slaves, yes the 1st Americans did , along with free blacks.

McGillivray the most "Anglicized" of the Creeks one of the five civilized Indian nations who
built solid houses, planted orchards, he ran a plantation (and owned about 60 slaves)
Theodore Roosevelt deemed McGillivray “perhaps the most gifted man who was ever born on the soil of Alabama.”
William Weatherford (Lum-Chate the Red Eagle) & William MacIntosh all had wealth compared
to the richest white men in the Alabama, Georgia & North Florida areas, & all had many slaves.

So not just the European settlers but also the indigenous people of the south when wealth allowed
were slave owners. Quite a few Southern FREE blacks own slaves, I'll mention just one.

William Ellison was one of the largest slave owners in South Carolina as well as one of the wealthies was born a slave.
When he was 26 years old, he was freed by his master and began building his expansive cotton plantation.
Ellison was known to be a harsh master, and his slaves were almost starved and extremely poorly clothed. He kept a windowless building on his property for the specific purpose of chaining his misbehaving slaves. If interested I could mention 5 or 6 other blacks with similar plantations.

So in the ante-bellum South there were three distinct races & all of them who lived in the south & all without
qualms utilized the peculiar institution to accumulate wealth. I'd go easy on the 'white supremacy indignations'.
It was legal throughout Europe & South America & it sure was practiced in Africa also whether or
not there were laws there at the time. All three races, all that lived in America at the time, all that had the means,
were slave owners at the time Andrew Jackson defeated the Weatherford (Red Eagle) at Horseshoe Bend.

No.

I meant traitors who killed Americans because they believed in their right to own black people more than they did the country.

So are you including as traitors the FREE blacks who fought for the confederacy along with some American Indians who
believed in their right to own black people more than they did the country?

Back
Top Bottom