• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In ground Pools - Experiences?

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
We like many are going to put in a pool. What are the pros/ cons fiberglass vs liner? We’re leaning fiberglass. Thanks for any feedback

We like many are going to put in a pool. What are the pros/ cons fiberglass vs liner? We’re leaning fiberglass. Thanks for any feedback

concrete ?

I am in the process of trying to remove my pool, Kids are gone and we do not use it.
It takes about $70 a month to maintain, and takes up a lot of yard.
The lowest bid so far is about $9K to remove the pool.

I am in the process of trying to remove my pool, Kids are gone and we do not use it.
It takes about $70 a month to maintain, and takes up a lot of yard.
The lowest bid so far is about $9K to remove the pool.

Why not just fill it with dirt ?
It's a common action.

In ground swimming pool? Isn't that a hole in your backyard that you fill with water and then continually throw money into?

City regulations, it has to be taken down to 24 inches below grade.

Buy a jackhammer and sneak it into your trash every week until the city hauls off your pool for free

In ground swimming pool? Isn't that a hole in your backyard that you fill with water and then continually throw money into?
Oh you also get to keep cleaning it balancing the water Ph and adding chlorine or salt depending on your pool, all long after everyone got bored with it and rarely use it. That is why a nice above ground pool is a better choice, if you get sick of it you can just take it down.

City regulations, it has to be taken down to 24 inches below grade.
I had a friend build a wonderful deck on top of her old pool. I don't know how large yours is. They framed it in. It looked nice. If you look up deck over pool, or decking over pool you'll see what I'm talking about. I am unsure of the expense.

I have to say, I live in a very warm climate and love my pool. I've never regretted it but, for me, it's not just for the kids. We grill around it, hang out, it's awesome.

I had a friend build a wonderful deck on top of her old pool. I don't know how large yours is. They framed it in. It looked nice. If you look up deck over pool, or decking over pool you'll see what I'm talking about. I am unsure of the expense.
I got bids for both, the deck folks want the same price as the demo folks (about $10K).

Buy a jackhammer and sneak it into your trash every week until the city hauls off your pool for free
I could just punch holes, and fill it with dirt, but the 79 cubic yards of dirt, would be difficult to sneak in,
and a lot of work.

I could just punch holes, and fill it with dirt, but the 79 cubic yards of dirt, would be difficult to sneak in,
and a lot of work.

Hummm.....buy an old car, bust the bottom, push old car into it so it looks like it caused damage, and call Farmer's Insurance company and say "I've got a claim worthy of a TV ad". :p

A freaking hurricane washed a gully on my property on one side that probably needed about half that much dirt when it first happened. I have been backfilling it with anything I can get get when I can get it since can't get a dump trump near that spot due to big trees. A lot of broken asphalt, concrete and bricks wheelbarrowed to the hole. I just top it off with dirt once I get within about a foot of the grade. Maybe a third the way done. I just don't currently know where I can snag any more free debris at the moment so at a standstill myself.

I got bids for both, the deck folks want the same price as the demo folks (about $10K).
Wow ouch! That's a lot! You need to befriend someone in construction. lol

Hummm.....buy an old car, bust the bottom, push old car into it so it looks like it caused damage, and call Farmer's Insurance company and say "I've got a claim worthy of a TV ad". :p

A freaking hurricane washed a gully on my property on one side that probably needed about half that much dirt when it first happened. I have been backfilling it with anything I can get get when I can get it since can't get a dump trump near that spot due to big trees. A lot of broken asphalt, concrete and bricks wheelbarrowed to the hole. I just top it off with dirt once I get within about a foot of the grade. Maybe a third the way done. I just don't currently know where I can snag any more free debris at the moment so at a standstill myself.
Find a company building swimming pools, they always have spare dirt!

Wow ouch! That's a lot! You need to befriend someone in construction. lol
The city made the requirements to remove a pool fairly onerous, so it adds to the costs.
Breaking up a 1 foot wide reinforced concrete wall, down to 2 feet below grade, is expensive.

Not much both fill with ground water, and could be dangerous to fall in.

Point taken, but aside from the danger and aesthetics, I bet the city doesn't have an ordinance on craters.

Sounds like
Not much both fill with ground water, and could be dangerous to fall in.

Given all the restrictions, it sounds like you'll have to bite that financial bullet or maintain the pool.

Point taken, but aside from the danger and aesthetics, I bet the city doesn't have an ordinance on craters.

Sounds like

Given all the restrictions, it sounds like you'll have to bite that financial bullet or maintain the pool.
There are other choices, I could make a fish pond! But yes I will have it removed for the back yard space.

Find a company building swimming pools, they always have spare dirt!

I live in hilly land. They usually use the dirt to grade the area around it, but most folks do above ground tapered into their slope.

Back
Top Bottom