• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In-Depth Analysis on the Origins of Covid

Mulefoot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
A well-done 43-minute read on what appears to be more than just a right-wing nut-job conspiracy theory - gain of function experiments in the Wuhan Lab.

SIAP.

A well-done 43-minute read on what appears to be more than just a right-wing nut-job conspiracy theory - gain of function experiments in the Wuhan Lab.

SIAP.

Before we indulge ourselves in that "43-minute read" (what an oddly specific number), tell us why the hell the origin of the virus matters instead of how to manage it.

Before we indulge ourselves in that "43-minute read" (what an oddly specific number), tell us why the hell the origin of the virus matters instead of how to manage it.

Oh you're funny. Let us not wonder how the pandemic started. Who cares? After all, we would like to have more pandemics and more lockdowns and vaccines. Of course. What's good for the drug industry is good for America. Let us not question the wisdom of Anthony Fauci, who promoted GoF research. After all, he is a MEDICAL DOCTOR, so he can't ever be wrong about anything. Creating dangerous viruses in labs is FUN, and we don't want to ruin anybody's fun, after all. YEAH, keep those pandemics coming virology labs! Who are we to question your great wisdom.

I never said that the origin "matters instead of how to manage it".

It's an interesting read and may give us some lessons on parameters for gain of function experiments in the future. But don't read it if you don't want to.

Reactions: AJG
Oh you're funny. Let us not wonder how the pandemic started. Who cares? After all, we would like to have more pandemics and more lockdowns and vaccines. Of course. What's good for the drug industry is good for America. Let us not question the wisdom of Anthony Fauci, who promoted GoF research. After all, he is a MEDICAL DOCTOR, so he can't ever be wrong about anything. Creating dangerous viruses in labs is FUN, and we don't want to ruin anybody's fun, after all. YEAH, keep those pandemics coming virology labs! Who are we to question your great wisdom.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As expected, your post was good for nothing. ;)

Now why don't you explain to us exactly what the anti-vaxxers have to stop the worst pandemic in a century?

I never said that the origin "matters instead of how to manage it".

Never said you did. But the question is going to come up, and you would be wise to get out in front of it.

It's an interesting read and may give us some lessons on parameters for gain of function experiments in the future. But don't read it if you don't want to.

There is so much disinformation surrounding the coronavirus that I'm hesitant to read a one-off blog post that seems to have found "the truth" about the origins. If this really is important, the author is welcome to share their findings with the scientific community. :)

Never said you did. But the question is going to come up, and you would be wise to get out in front of it.

There is so much disinformation surrounding the coronavirus that I'm hesitant to read a one-off blog post that seems to have found "the truth" about the origins. If this really is important, the author is welcome to share their findings with the scientific community. :)
How to manage the virus is fairly well covered in different threads. And the writer of the blog post never represents to have found "the truth" about the origins.

Again, it's ok to take a pass if you're not interested.

How to manage the virus is fairly well covered in different threads. And the writer of the blog post never represents to have found "the truth" about the origins.

It's not that I'm not interested. It's that I'm not yet convinced it's worth it to read when there are, you know, thousands of other articles and papers out there about the origins of SARS‑CoV‑2.

It's not that I'm not interested. It's that I'm not yet convinced it's worth it to read when there are, you know, thousands of other articles and papers out there about the origins of SARS‑CoV‑2.
Read the first paragraph. If you like it, read the second. If you like that one, read the third, and so on.

That's how I do it.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As expected, your post was good for nothing. ;)

Now why don't you explain to us exactly what the anti-vaxxers have to stop the worst pandemic in a century?

How should I know what the anti-vaxxers think? I'm just saying it would have been better if Fauci and his friends didn't start the pandemic in the first place.

What we've really learned from this virus is if you want take the United States down just use "freedom".

Then dont read it and stop derailing the thread with your nonsense.

The origins of covid is a very interesting topic, and from a passing glance the article does seem credible and worth the read, but like Phys251 said, there are other articles on the subject, many of which are a lot shorter and more digestible than this one. It might be worth mentioning some highlights from the article, or give a brief summary to spark interest/discussion for those who might be hesitant to dive into such a large article.

SIAP.

Started out OK.... Then went down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theory.

I think the "43 minute read" is calculated by medium (the site where the article was posted) based on its length, or something like that. As for why the origin of the virus matters, it's important to know what caused it in order to prevent possible future pandemics.

Last edited:
Here is the same article from a left-leaning source, if that matters.

I think the first stronghold in my mind is that, is it possible or even likely for a leak to occur? Turns out that "the SARS1 virus has proved a true escape artist, leaking from laboratories in Singapore, Taiwan, and no less than four times from the Chinese National Institute of Virology in Beijing."

Keep in mind that SARS has a 12% fatality rate.

You haven't read it... Have you?
More than once. I don't see it that way at all but I'm open to the idea that someone might see something from a different point of view for sure.

SIAP.
It came from a Fauci funded biochemical warfare lab deep in China.

I took me 1 sentence not 43 minutes 😄

How should I know what the anti-vaxxers think? I'm just saying it would have been better if Fauci and his friends didn't start the pandemic in the first place.
Are you serious? FFS this explains why trumpers are going apeshit crazy over Fauci and crap. It's straight-up tin foil conspiracy nuttery.

It came from a Fauci funded biochemical warfare lab deep in China.

I took me 1 sentence not 43 minutes 😄
"No one has found the bat population that was the source of SARS2, if indeed it ever infected bats. No intermediate host has presented itself, despite an intensive search by Chinese authorities that included the testing of 80,000 animals. There is no evidence of the virus making multiple independent jumps from its intermediate host to people, as both the SARS1 and MERS viruses did. There is no evidence from hospital surveillance records of the epidemic gathering strength in the population as the virus evolved. There is no explanation of why a natural epidemic should break out in Wuhan and nowhere else. There is no good explanation of how the virus acquired its furin cleavage site, which no other SARS-related beta-coronavirus possesses, nor why the site is composed of human-preferred codons. The natural emergence theory battles a bristling array of implausibilities."

So, we don't have a shred of evidence for the bat theory. But we do know that the director of the NIAID (a subgroup of the NIH) did fund gain of function experiments in a Wuhan lab. That is simply fact.

I personally couldn't care less that Fauci was the director of that group. I just think if we're looking for the simplest explanation why not start at the lab that had been manipulating coronavirus for years and where the breakout occurred.

Are you serious? FFS this explains why trumpers are going apeshit crazy over Fauci and crap. It's straight-up tin foil conspiracy nuttery.

This ain't about orange or Fauci. I vote straight libertarian and despise all politicians equally.

But yeah, go team.

Back
Top Bottom