• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In college towns and neighborhoods, permanent residents brace for students’ return

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ner-main_collegevirus337pm:homepage/story-ans

After a quiet summer spent in the seclusion of her College Park, Md., home, Dollymore is getting more neighbors. They’re students, enrolled at the University of Maryland’s flagship campus half a mile away, and they’re moving into the apartments and group homes that surround the school.

Dollymore, a 61-year-old retired critical care technician, lives on a tree-lined street in the suburbs. It’s not abnormal for her to have college-aged neighbors, but she has a compromised immune system. Her husband nearly died of influenza A, a type of flu, last year, and her 36-year-old daughter is recovering from malignant melanoma, she said.

“We have three highly compromised people in my house,” Dollymore said. “Where am I supposed to go to the grocery store?”

Although most — and in many cases, all — of their classes will be held online, students at District-area universities are still flocking to neighborhoods in and around the city, stoking fears — and questions — of permanent residents who are anxious about young people spreading the novel coronavirus.
======================================================================
And what about the younger students forced to go in person to school, bringing back the virus to infect their families?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ner-main_collegevirus337pm:homepage/story-ans

After a quiet summer spent in the seclusion of her College Park, Md., home, Dollymore is getting more neighbors. They’re students, enrolled at the University of Maryland’s flagship campus half a mile away, and they’re moving into the apartments and group homes that surround the school.

Dollymore, a 61-year-old retired critical care technician, lives on a tree-lined street in the suburbs. It’s not abnormal for her to have college-aged neighbors, but she has a compromised immune system. Her husband nearly died of influenza A, a type of flu, last year, and her 36-year-old daughter is recovering from malignant melanoma, she said.

“We have three highly compromised people in my house,” Dollymore said. “Where am I supposed to go to the grocery store?”

Although most — and in many cases, all — of their classes will be held online, students at District-area universities are still flocking to neighborhoods in and around the city, stoking fears — and questions — of permanent residents who are anxious about young people spreading the novel coronavirus.
And what about the younger students forced to go in person to school, bringing back the virus to infect their families?

media funny stuff... overblown emotion of fear for another... "SQUAT"
at only 61 the woman possesses the abilities to get along in a grand way.

Delivery or curbside pick up. For living in a town of higher learning this woman is pretty ignorant

I surely wouldn't want to live in a college town at this juncture! :doh

I don't know about you, but a few years ago when I was in college, I didn't interact with many at risk people. Heck, even my professors were safe from me, considering my attendance record for the classes that posted notes and lectures online.

As long as the people at the gas stations and liqour stores wear masks, they'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom