• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In California: "A bubbling pool of mud is on the move, and no one knows why"

chuckiechan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-mud-moving-california-dont-know-why-geology/

Traveling at about 20 feet a year, the muddy mystery has no obvious driver—and so far, it can't be stopped.

Refusing to stay in place, a roiling mass of carbon dioxide and slurry-like soil is migrating across the state at a pace of 20 feet a year. So far, it’s carved a 24,000-square-foot basin out of the earth, and it’s set to continue its crusade until what ever is driving it dies out. Scientists currently have no real idea why it’s moving or if it can be stopped.

[SNIP]

Mud pots and mud volcanoes also generally don’t emit much water, but this one is extremely vigorous, producing somewhere around 40,000 gallons of water a day. Lynch and other experts have taken to calling it a “mud spring.”

California is willing to delude themselves into thinking they can change the weather at great cost, which is a global issue, yet they can't stop a middling little bubbling little pot of hot mud. AND It's releasing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, uncontrolled, unconcerned, and without any guilt at all. At least California realizes there in no money or publicity in stopping this little pot. Until there is.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-mud-moving-california-dont-know-why-geology/

California is willing to delude themselves into thinking they can change the weather at great cost, which is a global issue, yet they can't stop a middling little bubbling little pot of hot mud. AND It's releasing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, uncontrolled, unconcerned, and without any guilt at all. At least California realizes there in no money or publicity in stopping this little pot. Until there is.

California has a population and economy larger than most countries in the world, California must play its role in solving that global issue.

Ah, it's only a little pus. :)

Freaky.

The western half of this country has some really amazing geological phenomena. Yellowstone blew my mind as a 10 year old. So did watching lava create land on the Big Island.

Freaky.

The western half of this country has some really amazing geological phenomena. Yellowstone blew my mind as a 10 year old. So did watching lava create land on the Big Island.

And its all releasing vopious amounts of CO2. We are all going to die. If it weren’t for CO2, I’d be pulling a wooly mammoth tag instead of a bear tag!

And its all releasing vopious amounts of CO2. We are all going to die. If it weren’t for CO2, I’d be pulling a wooly mammoth tag instead of a bear tag!

I have a box of CO2 cartridges for a cheesy pellet gun. If I skip the pellets, can I kill stuff with the CO2?

California has a population and economy larger than most countries in the world, California must play its role in solving that global issue.

It is. Our energy prices are the highest in the nation and so is poverty. Nearly every global change group in California is packed with relatives of democrat politicians. Non-profits = fat salaries for the connected.

Freaky.

Things like that fascinate me. Always have. The phenomenon itself isn't all that unusual but is usually confined to geological wonders like Yellowstone. That this one is moving is really wild though. Would love to keep track of it. It doesn't seem to be threatening anything important other than the railroad tracks. And they may just have to go around it which seems to be the plan for now. The article didn't say what direction it is moving but it doesn't seem to be endangering any population centers. Not much out there where it is.

How on Earth can you make this a political gabfest, and not feel enough shame to want to hit yourself? Unconcerned? Should we take some rebar, and cement over to Yellowstone while we're at it? How can you be concerned about something you already know you can't do anything about? You block off the gas release you get an explosive release when the pressure builds up. So what are you talking about here? What do you expect? You can't stop mother nature from releasing gases into the atmosphere, but nature is regulated to handle that. The amount the human race puts out, makes that a drop in a pond though. With forest disappearing you lose the natural filtering mechanism of nature. It's a vicious cycle, and people blab semantics while it gets worse.

CO2 isn't why the ice age ended. CO2 is good for plants, not animals. We consume oxygen, and breathe out CO2. The plants absorb CO2, and create oxygen. They can only do so much, though, and as the forests disappear, it's going to lessen. Take a canister of CO2, and put it on a ventilator for yourself, see if you last more then a couple minutes.

Things like that fascinate me. Always have. The phenomenon itself isn't all that unusual but is usually confined to geological wonders like Yellowstone. That this one is moving is really wild though. Would love to keep track of it. It doesn't seem to be threatening anything important other than the railroad tracks. And they may just have to go around it which seems to be the plan for now. The article didn't say what direction it is moving but it doesn't seem to be endangering any population centers. Not much out there where it is.

I believe Yellowstone is what's left of an ancient volcano. I was just astonished by it as a kid.

That thing is CA is totally weird. I have no clue what could cause it.

I believe Yellowstone is what's left of an ancient volcano. I was just astonished by it as a kid.

That thing is CA is totally weird. I have no clue what could cause it.

Yellowstone I believe is a still active super volcano though its last eruption was something over 3000 years ago. It currently presents the most catastrophic potential of any geological phenomena on Earth. But we'll almost surely not live to see that ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom