• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In Alaska, The First Amendment Is On Trial As The Left Tries To Punish Speech

Glitch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The case of Alaska State Rep. David Eastman is bizarre and unprecedented, but it isn’t complicated. Put simply, left-wing activists are trying to trample the First Amendment and disenfranchise voters in Eastman’s district by asking a judge to rule him ineligible to hold office in the state.

Why? Because Eastman, 41, is a conservative. So are his constituents in Wasilla who recently elected him to a fourth term. If freedom of speech and association mean anything, Eastman should win his case easily. But the fact that he has to fight in court for the right to represent the people who elected him, and to clear his good name, is a testament to the relentless efforts of the left to criminalize the views of their political opponents and slander them as insurrectionists.
Source:

For those who wish to know more about David Eastman, the following links are to his personal website, and his Alaska State Legislature website:

There would certainly appear to be judicial misconduct if the case was given merit based upon Eastman's individual right to freely associate with whomever he pleases. The case began on Tuesday, December 13, 2022. I do not have the details yet on how it is proceeding. I will post to this thread when that information becomes available.

Source:

For those who wish to know more about David Eastman, the following links are to his personal website, and his Alaska State Legislature website:

There would certainly appear to be judicial misconduct if the case was given merit based upon Eastman's individual right to freely associate with whomever he pleases. The case began on Tuesday, December 13, 2022. I do not have the details yet on how it is proceeding. I will post to this thread when that information becomes available.
The commies are unrelenting in their goals and will use any means, ethical or not, to further their cause. The don't care about democracy or the welfare of the country.

Alaska should fix their stupid constitution. And he is not being singled out for simply being conservative, but for his connection, whatever it is, to the Oaf Keepers, and how their stated goals violate Alaska’s stupid constitution. States rights are a bitch, aren’t they?

Source:

Ok, I'll bite. What did he say or do that was found offensive.?
Source:

Looked it up. Lets get real. It's not because he is a conservative. It's because he is a member of the Oath Keepers. That should not disqualify him, but the Federalist's characterization of the situation as "the left tries to punish speech" is ridiculous.

Oath Keepers are seditious fascists who want to end elective democracy. This isn't a 'free speech' issue. This is about eligibility to serve in an office. Unlike the Oath Keepers, Eastman's opponents are seeking legal redress in a court of law. If they were like Eastman, they would just storm his house with a Battle Flag, zip ties and a gallows in tow...

So.....in a nutshell....

That trial is intended to answer two key questions:
  • Is Eastman a member of the Oath Keepers, a group whose leaders were convicted of federal crimes associated with the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol?
  • Do the Oath Keepers advocate the overthrow of the U.S. government by force or violence?
If McKenna concludes that the answer to both questions is “yes,” he could rule Eastman ineligible to serve in the Alaska Legislature despite Eastman’s victory in the November general election. Eastman could be replaced in the Legislature by the second-place finisher.

And due to a requirement of Alaska election laws anyone that is a member of a group that advocates for the overthrow of the US government may not serve in an elected position, Eastman may be removed from office...

Is this correct?

Source of quote above

Last edited:
Source:

This is the David Eastman who violated state ethics laws by revealing classified information. Helps to provide all the details, and helps alot to use real sources and not highly partisan ones like The Federalist. Here, let me help you by showing what is actually happening: https://www.adn.com/politics/alaska...r-takes-stand-in-case-over-oath-keepers-ties/

The lawsuit points to a provision of the constitution that states that no one who “advocates, or who aids or belongs to any party or organization or association which advocates, the overthrow by force or violence of the government of the United States or of the State shall be qualified to hold” public office.

Nationally, a founder of the Oath Keepers, Stewart Rhodes, and a Florida chapter leader have been convicted of seditious conspiracy related to the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol. A trial against four other Oath Keepers is underway.

Note that no one is suggesting he cannot say whatever he likes, just that he is disqualified from holding office based on the Alaska constitution.

Source:

Lol.

Fake news.

• Overall, we rate The Federalist Questionable and far-Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that always favor the right and promotion of propaganda, conspiracy theories, and numerous failed fact checks.

Detailed Report​

Questionable Reasoning: Conspiracy Theories, Propaganda, Failed Fact Checks

some advice.learn to evaluate sources.

A more balanced account of the case may be read at -- Alaska Lawmaker Won’t Condemn Oath Keepers in Capitol Riot

“No, I generally don’t condemn groups,” state Rep. David Eastman, a Wasilla Republican, said during a bench trial Thursday, his second day on the witness stand in a case that challenges his eligibility to hold office.
Eastman also said he doesn’t generally condemn individuals, including any of the 33 Oath Keepers who were charged following the attack on the Capitol

And they will use lameass arguments in an attempt to further the commie agenda. Pretty standard MO for them.

And they will use lameass arguments in an attempt to further the commie agenda. Pretty standard MO for them.

The only thing lameass is the OP and the right wing nutter agenda. Alaska is so stupid right wing you have to pledge loyalty to the government as stated in their dumb right wing constitution that is a goofy throwback to when calling people commies was not an anachronism.

So.....in a nutshell....

Yes...in a nutshell...

"He made a donation to the organization more than a dozen years ago and received a “lifetime membership” but says he has never attended a meeting."

And due to a requirement of Alaska election laws anyone that is a member of a group that advocates for the overthrow of the US government may not serve in an elected position, Eastman may be removed from office...

I was made a "life-time member" of the "Mickey Mouse Club" when I was 7 years old. I never actually participated in anything. That was a long time ago too.

Sooo, unless it has been shown otherwise, this seems like a lame attempt to steal an election.

It has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment.
His involvement in the Oath Keepers violates the current Alaskan constitution

Are you a member of the Oath Keepers? Or just their tool?

From what I read, he has yet to disavow his membership with the OK.

Asked Wednesday about his involvement in the group, he texted, “I joined the Oath Keepers when it first started and will always consider it a privilege to stand with those in the military and first responders who strive to keep their oaths to the Constitution.”

His college room mate stated that Eastman was far far right in college. Seems to be his mind set.
If the law regarding membership in such an organization as the OK is constitutional, then Eastman's remaining in office is up for a judge to decide.

Source of quote above

Oh, he's oathkeeper scum.

I don't care if he lives or dies.

Alaska should fix their stupid constitution. And he is not being singled out for simply being conservative, but for his connection, whatever it is, to the Oaf Keepers, and how their stated goals violate Alaska’s stupid constitution. States rights are a bitch, aren’t they?
Except that the Oath Keeper's stated goals do not violate Alaska's State Constitution. This is the actual stated goal of the Oath Keeper's:
The Oath Keepers USA are a group of proud American Patriots who are dedicated to upholding the constitution of the United States.
Source:

So much for your leftist bullshit.

I realize that anyone who supports the US Constitution is an enemy of the left, since the US Constitution is the left's biggest hurdle to overcome. Which would explain why the left have specifically targeted the Oath Keepers, like they been targeting all conservative organizations seeking to uphold the US Constitution since the Obama administration weaponized the federal government against everyone who disagrees with the criminal leftist filth.

Ok, I'll bite. What did he say or do that was found offensive.?

Looked it up. Lets get real. It's not because he is a conservative. It's because he is a member of the Oath Keepers. That should not disqualify him, but the Federalist's characterization of the situation as "the left tries to punish speech" is ridiculous.
Nothing. What the left found to be offensive was that a four term conservative member of the Alaska State House could be elected while having a Life Membership with the Oath Keepers. He made a donation and was given a life membership. That was the extent of his association with the Oath Keepers.

It is not a ridiculous assertion if he is being singled out because of his association with the Oath Keepers. Whether the left likes it or not, he has that individual right to freely associate with whomever he pleases. Guilt by association is a violation of the First Amendment.

Oath Keepers are seditious fascists who want to end elective democracy. This isn't a 'free speech' issue. This is about eligibility to serve in an office. Unlike the Oath Keepers, Eastman's opponents are seeking legal redress in a court of law. If they were like Eastman, they would just storm his house with a Battle Flag, zip ties and a gallows in tow...
No, they are not, but I understand that is what the Democrat sycophants and leftist propagandists in the media are trying to push. It is both a freedom of speech and a freedom of association issue.

So.....in a nutshell....

Is this correct?

Source of quote above
That is correct, and therein is the problem. The Oath Keepers have never advocated for the overthrow of the US government or of any State. I posted the publicly stated goal of the Oath Keepers above, and it is to preserve the US Constitution to which their entire membership have taken oaths to uphold - hence the name of their organization.

Except that the Oath Keeper's stated goals do not violate Alaska's State Constitution. This is the actual stated goal of the Oath Keeper's:
The Oath Keepers USA are a group of proud American Patriots who are dedicated to upholding the constitution of the United States.

@Glitch, handsome is as handsome does. Sorry, but the Oath Keepers showed their true colors on Jan 6 2023.

Back
Top Bottom