• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In a country with over 350 million folks, what does 'small' government look like?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I hear the term all the time but I don't think I've heard it explained. How small of a government would it take to run a country with hundreds of millions of people?

I hear the term all the time but I don't think I've heard it explained. How small of a government would it take to run a country with hundreds of millions of people?

Small FEDERAL government

Small FEDERAL government
So how many people are in this small FEDERAL government? A half dozen, a baker's dozen? What number is small? How am I supposed to know if you don't?

I'd cut every single federal department budget by 10%, and then we'd begin the targeted cuts. "Bloated" doesn't even begin to describe the state of the federal bureaucracy. I've worked in heavily regulated industries and seen these folks in action up close; the volume of waste is stunning.

I'd cut every single federal department budget by 10%, and then we'd begin the targeted cuts. "Bloated" doesn't even begin to describe the state of the federal bureaucracy. I've worked in heavily regulated industries and seen these folks in action up close; the volume of waste is stunning.
I'm all for your suggestion and we can start by cutting the military spending by ten percent and then 'target' another forty percent of the military budget and go from there.

So how many people are in this small FEDERAL government? A half dozen, a baker's dozen? What number is small? How am I supposed to know if you don't?

124,359 not including the military

I'm all for your suggestion and we can start by cutting the military spending by ten percent and then 'target' another forty percent of the military budget and go from there.
Why stop there? it's not the only source of waste.

The only parts of our government that are small are the parts in charge of stopping corruption. The IRS, the GAO, the Justice Dept., The courts, federal, state, county and municipal are backed up no end. Not enough prosecutors to take on the rich who can afford million dollar law firms. Look at the the Sackler family. They made billions from the opiod mess, paid $600 million back in fines and nobody went to jail. Where's the incentive to be honest?

Let’s start with the role of the Federal government. It’s role is to manage the nation. It operates at the 50,000 foot level. It’s role is not to get down into the weeds and micromanage the lives of hundreds of millions of people.

The only parts of our government that are small are the parts in charge of stopping corruption. The IRS, the GAO, the Justice Dept., The courts, federal, state, county and municipal are backed up no end. Not enough prosecutors to take on the rich who can afford million dollar law firms. Look at the the Sackler family. They made billions from the opiod mess, paid $600 million back in fines and nobody went to jail. Where's the incentive to be honest?
I'd be okay with cutting their budgets slightly less.

It might be a good idea for you to tell us what you think the number should be. Thus we can have something to debate.

A couple of things that come to mind. The House is only scheduled to be in session for 112 days this year and the Senate for 171 days. For that they’re paid an average of $174,000. No more. Both should be in session every day except federal holidays and paid an hourly rate at minimum wage. And the Vice President needs to do their job and preside over the Senate every day.

A couple of things that come to mind. The House is only scheduled to be in session for 112 days this year and the Senate for 171 days. For that they’re paid an average of $174,000. No more. Both should be in session every day except federal holidays and paid an hourly rate at minimum wage. And the Vice President needs to do their job and preside over the Senate every day.

What are the quality of candidates you would get paying minimum wage and how susceptible to corruption would they be?

What are the quality of candidates you would get paying minimum wage and how susceptible to corruption would they be?
They were originally paid nothing and the quality would certainly be no worse than it already is. In terms of corruption, that’s where other rules and regulations come in.

sure and leave NATO and leave every other military base around the world

i mean, if you dont want to support the troops and the amounts they will need, the other countries can fend for themselves, right?

i mean, if you dont want to support the troops and the amounts they will need, the other countries can fend for themselves, right?
Yes they can

That’s right. And we keep taking pieces until the DOD finally comes into compliance with Federal financial records law so the GAO can determine what they actually need.

As a ex military and staunch conservative, i dont have an issue with this IF we change the mission our troops have to carry out

What i would hate to see is some idiot president with a D or R get a bug up his/her ass and decide to send our troops where they shouldnt be, and where our mission no longer lies

If they have to be there i want them equipped with the best, and trained to the upmost.....

They deserve nothing less.....

It looks like a far right fantasy. As a progressive I know what it feels like to wish for something you'll never get in this country. It's a waste of time.

They'll have as much luck getting less government as I will getting a universal healthcare system. :ROFLMAO:

It looks like a far right fantasy. As a progressive I know what it feels like to wish for something you'll never get in this country. It's a waste of time.

They'll have as much luck getting less government as I will getting a universal healthcare system. :ROFLMAO:
Well, our healthcare isn’t being decided by someone who thinks Guam will tip over and capsize if we station more troops there. So that’s a win.

Democrats always want to cut military spending which is in and of itself the single most important and justifiable spending feds do.

Democrats always want to cut military spending which is in and of itself the single most important and justifiable spending feds do.
But it's so corrupt. The revolving door of ex- government officials getting jobs with defence contractors spins faster than the door of the first year Trump White House.

Harry S. Truman made his name as a senator investigating and castigating crooked defence contractors during WWII. Mr. we could use a man like Harry Truman again.

Not to mention Affluenza
Aside from the uber rich, I think our country is made up of too many irresponsible people to take to cutting down the government. We want to do what we want whenever we want to, consequences be damned, calling it personal freedom.
I really think that, would we think beyond our overblown egos, we could cut down on oversight, but alas, we just might need more.
I dunno, just my 2 cents while sipping cofvefe.

Back
Top Bottom