• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In 1 in 5 Families NO ONE Works...

If you'd paid attention to what I've written over the years, I've said MANY times that while red states DO generally have higher rates of divorce, poverty, teenage pregnancy, welfare, food stamps, homicides, and violent crimes...and while they DO have generally have lower rates of educational attainment and health care coverage and life expectancy, I've ALSO said many times that this is not due to red/blue governance.

Think on that - red states are worse off on SO many metrics...but I'm saying it's not the conservatives' fault. If I were as "ultra-partisan" as you want so badly to believe, why would I say that? Care to answer?

you cannot.. i repeat.. you cannot.. delineate red and blue states and then states "it's not because of red/blue governance"

your very delineation is inherently about red/ blue governance.

it's like delineating between states run by men and women.. and then trying to pretend you're not talking about gender when called on it.
I don't want to believe you are an ultrapartisan... it's just a matter of objective reality... you very much are.

in any event, your "argument" was debunked by facts...so, carry on

Perhaps that's because retirees are disproportionately drawn to the red states.

You are joking right? Which red states do retirees go? Maybe Az....but that's about it. Most retirees I know go to either California, Oregon, Washington or Florida.

oh jeez, not that old meme again.

it's hilarious that lefties are incapable of understanding why it's a dumb meme.

What.....do the facts scare you? Oh yeah......I forgot.....they ALWAYS do.

Lows? Highs. The 93 mil number is high, and it will keep getting higher. It's been climbing for years, and most economist agree it will keep climbing for at east 10+ more years. because of the Boomers it has to.

But anyway again, this is waaaay off-topic.

have a nice night.

i was talking about labor participation rate ( which is low).. you're talking about real numbers ( which are high) that are represented by the LPR... samey same.

and you too... have a nice one

You are joking right? Which red states do retirees go? Maybe Az....but that's about it. Most retirees I know go to either California, Oregon, Washington or Florida.

I'm counting Florida as a red state. In addition, Arizona, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia and Texas.

Last edited:
What.....do the facts scare you? Oh yeah......I forgot.....they ALWAYS do.

no, i'm a huge fan of facts... and it's depressing you've never been able to give me facts beyond simple idiot memes.

i'ts my fault though... I shouldn't ask for that which you are incapable of providing.

which states?... pretty much the entire South., but the most popular region for retirement is the Atlantic South.. from Virginia to Florida, along the coast.

which states?... pretty much the entire South., but the most popular region for retirement is the Atlantic South.. from Virginia to Florida, along the coast.

Mrs. Hays and I are headed to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina.

never been, but I hear it's nice.

I'm not much of fan of the Atlantic coast myself.... I came up a left-coaster... the Atlantic, to me, is a fake ocean with no waves.:lol:

we have places here in Texas, in Vegas, and in Colombia...but i'll probably die here in Texas

never been, but I hear it's nice.

I'm not much of fan of the Atlantic coast myself.... I came up a left-coaster... the Atlantic, to me, is a fake ocean with no waves.:lol:

we have places here in Texas, in Vegas, and in Colombia...but i'll probably die here in Texas

Atlantic is warm with the Gulf Stream. Not cold like the Pacific.:bright:

There were one in five families in the United States in 2015, or 19.7 percent, in which no one in the family worked, according to data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

“Families are classified either as married-couple families or as families maintained by women or men without spouses present,” explains the bureau. “Families include those without children as well as those with children under age 18.”

There were 81,410,000 families in the United States in 2015. Of those, there were 16,060,000 families in which no member was employed, or 19.7 percent of the total.

The number has remained relatively steady since the Bureau of Labor Statistics started tracking this data since 1995.
No One Works in 1 in 5 U.S. Families

Welfare, drug dealing and selling stolen goods at yard sales, works for some. They don't pay taxes and most likely don't vote or care.

I belong to one of those families. A combination of pension, Social Security, and investments keeps us going quite nicely without anyone having to go back to work. We consider staying out of the labor force our contribution to the younger generation who haven't yet had time to build up hose IRAs and TSAs and pay off that mortgage, and so actually need to work.

Oh, and no, we don't sell drugs. We buy quite a few from the local pharmacy, but don't sell them. We also don't collect welfare.

My sister and her husband go there for a few days 3 or 4 times a year. Sounds like a really cool place. My grand niece loves it too.

you cannot.. i repeat.. you cannot.. delineate red and blue states and then states "it's not because of red/blue governance"

your very delineation is inherently about red/ blue governance.

it's like delineating between states run by men and women.. and then trying to pretend you're not talking about gender when called on it.
I don't want to believe you are an ultrapartisan... it's just a matter of objective reality... you very much are.

in any event, your "argument" was debunked by facts...so, carry on

YES, I CAN. Don't get me wrong - I once would have said precisely as you just did...and I used it for precisely that purpose. But it was a strong conservative several years ago who forced me to take a deeper look at the problem...and it indeed has NOTHING to do with red/blue governance.

What it DOES have to do with is the level of urbanization, or lack thereof...and I think you'd have to agree that red states are generally rural. Think about it - where are the very best universities? In rural areas, or urban? Where are the best hospitals? Urban areas. Where are most of the factories? Urban areas. Where are the financial hubs of America? In our great urban areas. Where are the major international airports and business hubs? Urban areas.

And why? Again, think about it - would business moguls move the hubs of their corporations to, say, rural Nebraska? Sure, that can happen...but the vast majority would never consider doing so. Would major corporations move their factories out to the boonies? Some do - certain auto manufacturers certainly have - but again, the overwhelming majority won't. And having a major international airport or major research hospital out in the boonies makes no sense. This is why those who live in rural areas generally have lower educational attainment levels - and along with lower educational attainment comes a whole host of social issues.

Is it ALWAYS this way? Not in every instance, no - because one need only point to certain red states in the upper Midwest that are doing just fine, thank you very much. But generally speaking, this is true all over America...and all over the world. Go to almost any nation you like, and you'll see the same principle at work.

And as "conservative" and "liberal" are defined, the more rural a region is, generally speaking, the more conservative that region will be...and vice versa for urban areas and liberalism. In other words, those states with the crappy statistics don't have crappy statistics because they are red - they have crappy statistics because - generally speaking - they are RURAL...and because they are rural, they are RED. You're in Texas - you can see it for yourself. Places like San Antonio and Dallas are actually fairly liberal...because they're urban. And they have all the advantages that major cities in blue states have. But outside those blue islands is a sea of red...because Texas is a mostly very rural state.

And THAT, sir, is why it's not the conservatives' fault.

My sister and her husband go there for a few days 3 or 4 times a year. Sounds like a really cool place. My grand niece loves it too.

We've been vacationing there for about fifteen years with children & grandchildren. Will relocate next year and let let children & grandchildren come to us.

Unemployment Rates for States

seems as the states with the highest unemployment rates are both red and blue....6 of the bottom 10 are blue states.( and once again,I need to voice my opposition to the idiotic red/blue state bull**** that so many dullards subscribe to)

how can that possibly be Glen?...you are here telling us it's a red state thing, but the facts don't line up with your ultra-partisan narrative.
To be counted as unemployed you have to be actively looking for work. The lazy bums in the red states of course stopped looking for work just to live on welfare

There are waves, small waves.

yup... too small to surf.
I'll give the Atlantic credit though.. it's better than the Gulf.
I'm a Pacific kinda guy... even when the water is chilly. ( too bad California has screwed up the entire beach scene, or i'd have retired there.)

We've been vacationing there for about fifteen years with children & grandchildren. Will relocate next year and let let children & grandchildren come to us.

Sounds like a plan!

Atlantic is warm with the Gulf Stream. Not cold like the Pacific.:bright:

When visiting my sister who lives in California some years ago, she decided that a trip along the Pacific coast would be something interesting for me to experience. I asked her if I should bring my bathing suit, and she said "Oh no, it's too cold to swim in the Pacific ocean - but we are going to cook steaks for dinner on my little grille out on the sandy beach!" She owned a motor home at the time, and one day we traveled on the 17-mile highway and ate lunch at the Pebble Beach Country Club, and I did get to see Clint Eastwood's home (at a distance), and I watched the whales migrating - among other fascinating things along the way - but I sure didn't get to swim! I did wade a little at the beach, and the water was too cold for comfort! :mrgreen: Memories...

When visiting my sister who lives in California some years ago, she decided that a trip along the Pacific coast would be something interesting for me to experience. I asked her if I should bring my bathing suit, and she said "Oh no, it's too cold to swim in the Pacific ocean - but we are going to cook steaks for dinner on my little grille out on the sandy beach!" She owned a motor home at the time, and one day we traveled on the 17-mile highway and ate lunch at the Pebble Beach Country Club, and I did get to see Clint Eastwood's home (at a distance), and I watched the whales migrating - among other fascinating things along the way - but I sure didn't get to swim! I did wade a little at the beach, and the water was too cold for comfort! :mrgreen: Memories...

I like warm beaches - I really do. I loved Hawaii, loved the Philippines...but some - like Dubai - were just too doggone hot (the water was 95 degrees, and there were no waves anyway). But I'd rather have cold water with waves than warm without waves. I was swimming at La Jolla just a couple months ago, and I'd much rather go there than back to any of the beaches on the Atlantic side. Not because I like cold water (I don't!), but because I hate cold water less than I hate lack of decent waves.

No, you're headed for a Soylent factory if our illustrious OP has anything to say about it!

I like warm beaches - I really do. I loved Hawaii, loved the Philippines...but some - like Dubai - were just too doggone hot (the water was 95 degrees, and there were no waves anyway). But I'd rather have cold water with waves than warm without waves. I was swimming at La Jolla just a couple months ago, and I'd much rather go there than back to any of the beaches on the Atlantic side. Not because I like cold water (I don't!), but because I hate cold water less than I hate lack of decent waves.

Greetings, Glen Contrarian. :2wave:

One thing I have learned - California has a whole lot more things to see on vacation than Ohio does! :thumbs: Did you get to visit the caves while you were at LaJolla?

Greetings, Glen Contrarian. :2wave:

One thing I have learned - California has a whole lot more things to see on vacation than Ohio does! :thumbs: Did you get to visit the caves while you were at LaJolla?

No...I wish, but we were actually checking out my Darling's old stomping grounds at Costa Mesa. I didn't even know that La Jolla had caves! But it is sooooo tempting to move down there! The Puget Sound area up here by Seattle is the most beautiful part of America I've seen other than Hawaii, but I miss those beaches - the water's cold, but it's still swimmable...and I can listen to the waves all day long.

Back
Top Bottom