• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Impact of Katrina on New Orleans Drug Pushers

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
With 80% of the city under water after Katrina today NO is blanketed with a widespread population of drug pushers/users when it used to be localized to poor areas. The homeless flocked to NO to occupy the vacated homes of upper and middle class neighborhoods and now the crime rate is 10X the national ave. It is the city that not even God can save.

With 80% of the city under water after Katrina today NO is blanketed with a widespread population of drug pushers/users when it used to be localized to poor areas. The homeless flocked to NO to occupy the vacated homes of upper and middle class neighborhoods and now the crime rate is 10X the national ave. It is the city that not even God can save.

I sympathize with those who called NO home, but have a problem with ANY city that calls a bath tub home

Do you have a link for this?

I found it amusing that one notable TV evangelist was saying Katrina was God's retribution for the debauchery in the French quarter, but in reality that area was left high and dry.

Do you have a link for this?

I found it amusing that one notable TV evangelist was saying Katrina was God's retribution for the debauchery in the French quarter, but in reality that area was left high and dry.

Kinda what I was waiting for, make sure you have all your firewalls and filters running when/if they provide one and you click on it, God only knows where you are going to end up.

As long as the Popeye's Franchise survives I don't care what happens to that city.

There are loads of drunk tourists and government sucks, where is the confusion?

It is MECCA for Street Thugs.

Hey, I said from the beginning that Bush should not have used federal money to help rebuild New Orleans. Help the destitute...sure. But not to rebuild it.

Why rebuild a city that is largely below sea level after it floods? Stupid.

If the locals want to live their - fine; let them rebuild it with their money. Same with businesses/corporations.

No one would have died had New Orleans been forced to re-locate to higher ground.

There are loads of drunk tourists and government sucks, where is the confusion?

It is MECCA for Street Thugs.

NO is a great city in other respects. Great way to cheery pick.

Hey, I said from the beginning that Bush should not have used federal money to help rebuild New Orleans. Help the destitute...sure. But not to rebuild it.

If the locals want to live their - fine; let them rebuild it with their money. Same with businesses/corporations.

No one would have died had New Orleans been forced to re-locate to higher ground.

Have you seen the pumps they have now?!

The crime and drugs are still pretty segregated. I love NO. I am not the most well-traveled person by far, but I find it hard to imagine that many cities in the US have the same amount of history and culture that NO does.

I sympathize with those who called NO home, but have a problem with ANY city that calls a bath tub home

There's a lot of truth in that Maggie. reminds me of a skit I once saw somewhere.

Reporter: What's going through your mind right now?

Person: I can't believe a tornado destroyed my home.

Reporter: You live in an area called Tornado Alley.

Person: So?

That's fine, but it should have been paid for by locals/state...not the federal government.

The corps of engineers is federal, always has been. But you knew that.

Easy to say but thousands of cities in the country live in flood plains on rivers or on the coasts that periodically flood. Do you have the same attitude about them?

WTF does this have to do with War on Drugs? :confused:

Easy to say but thousands of cities in the country live in flood plains on rivers or on the coasts that periodically flood. Do you have the same attitude about them?

I know I do.

I'm not that well informed about other cities. I just remember that we've spent $14 billion on flood control in New Orleans since Katrina. The levees built are designed to hold up in a Category 3 storm. You will see by this link that Katrina, at times, was a Category 5. You'll also read that local parishes/governmental bodies, without sufficient knowledge of civil engineering, over-developed the land and even allowed whole areas to be built in areas 10ft below sea level. Hmmmm.

For $14 billion, plus the disaster relief funds that flowed into the area after Katrina through FEMA and other government assistance programs, I'd venture to guess that money would have been MUCH better allocated to resettling the population in the areas that were destroyed.

Land is not yet so scarce that we must build homes and businesses in inappropriate areas. If there are many more, as you suggest, then maybe we will someday have the opportunity to solve problems like that once and for all.

An abbreviated history of New Orleans levees and flood control projects

Well, looks like what Mayor Nagin wanted, happened.

The Chocolate City speech is the nickname that some people have given to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day speech by Ray Nagin, Mayor of New Orleans, Louisiana, on January 16, 2006. The speech concerned race politics in New Orleans several months after Hurricane Katrina destroyed much of the city. The reference is to the occurrence of the phrase chocolate city in Nagin's speech, which was one of several points in the speech which occasioned significant controversy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_City_speech

Yet another once great American city dragged down under by Democratic mismanagement.

I think that they should just raise NOLA up to a safe elevation. If you need cheap fill material, I hear that there are a lot of large cities with garbage disposal problems.... :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom