• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Immigration reform for everybody.

I'm okay with it with a major codecil - no selective enforcement. ALL the bill is enforced. AND, no riders, no pork, no amendments.

I'm okay with it with a major codecil - no selective enforcement. ALL the bill is enforced. AND, no riders, no pork, no amendments.

You know this is the United States senate and congress we are talking about here, there is no chance of this happening at all?

What Greta is missing is that (at least) 40% of those 11 million "illegals" that she wishes to give "freebie" green cards to are the same ones that she wants to send home and ban from re-entry for "at least" 5 years, many of which have minor children that were born here, others have committed one or more crimes that normally would render them immediately deportable (under current law) even if they had green cards at the time of offense, since we have been deporting only the worst of the worst to date. In other words we are still talking about rounding up and deporting well over 5 million people, that is a lot of busses, airplanes, holding cells and deportation hearings.

Greta also thinks that our congress critters/executive staff will actually get the border secure. That was the "promise" in made back in 1986 and again in 2006 (for the border fence extension).

The problems Greta has not addressed:

1) Just what to do with the unknown number of illegals that will enter/overstay their visas until the magical border security "plan" (and even more complex employment verification plan) that she omits the deatials of gets done but after the "freebie" green card program ends (assuming that it ever will actually end).

2) Her final sentence says it all "There are already in existence laws to punish employers who hire people illegally in this country – enforce those laws and perhaps increase the penalty." The problem is that they were never enforced nor are likely to be in the future or we would not have 11 million (or more) here now.

3) The primary mission, unstated of course, of Obam's immigration reform is to create more demorat voters not to make people illegally here simply comfortable to work in crappy jobs without fear of deportation and without any access to "safety net" goodies including PPACA.

4) The primary mission of real immigration reform is to make it easier to get the desirable (to schools and employers) immigrants admitted into the US with an easier (more efficient) system was totally ommitted from the Greta "reform" plan.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me.

So we deport 40% (the ones that oversatyed their visas) of the 11 million (including their minor U.S. citzen children) immediately? You do realize that is about 5 million folks right?

So we deport 40% (the ones that oversatyed their visas) of the 11 million (including their minor U.S. citzen children) immediately? You do realize that is about 5 million folks right?

You do realize that is not what her proposal said to do right?

You do realize that is not what her proposal said to do right?

I do sort of, but she addresses only the overstays after the "great Greta plan" goes into effect, note that nothing was said of the other 60%. She simply assumes that the border will then be 100% secure and the only way to enter is with permission (and why is that not permanent permission just like the fence jumpers got?). When does the Greta plan say that this "border security" and "worker verification" will happen? What of those that under the current (and post Greta plan) law would be deported for crimes comitted here (including visa overstaying) - do they get a Greta/Obama pass and a clean legal slate along with their "forever" green cards?

I do sort of, but she addresses only the overstays after the "great Greta plan" goes into effect, note that nothing was said of the other 60%. She simply assumes that the border will then be 100% secure and the only way to enter is with permission (and why is that not permanent permission just like the fence jumpers got?). When does the Greta plan say that this "border security" and "worker verification" will happen? What of those that under the current (and post Greta plan) law would be deported for crimes comitted here (including visa overstaying) - do they get a Greta/Obama pass and a clean legal slate along with their "forever" green cards?

The idea is (as I read it) that there is a time period for the illegals to get their green card. After that the enforcement would be enacted. The implementation doesn't go after the 40% like you claim.

The idea is (as I read it) that there is a time period for the illegals to get their green card. After that the enforcement would be enacted. The implementation doesn't go after the 40% like you claim.

Then why bother at all? If we are willing to give fence jumpers, criminals and older visa overstayers alike permanent green cards then why not give permanent green cards to those entering legally after the border is 100% secure?

No legislation can be passed without a change to the tax code to help out our poor, suffering billionaires. Has there ever been one piece of legislation that wasn't loaded up with political rewards? I doubt that very much. These people went to Washington after millions were invested to get them elected. Do you not expect a ROI?

Actually, I like the proposal. Sealing the borders isn't a matter of a few million dollars though. 5,000 miles of border - serious border - is probably closer to a trillion than a million and then you need staffing all along that border and that staff gets paid, gets guns and gets buildings to live in (we have a lot of barren border-land). So, that fantasy is - well - a fantasy.

But the green card idea isn't too bad. Lets face it - you can't get rid of them. Of all people, Obama has deported the most and you can't even tell. Let them pay taxes and don't set it up where they can get more in welfare than they pay in.

The only real solution is to make failure to use Everify a death penalty crime. That will make employers think twice. But you can't push employers around - they bought you the politician in the first place.

Has anyone here lost a job due to illegal immigrants. Nope. Has anyone lost a job to H1B Visa people. Yep, my son. So he got another job - it was that simple (and about $20K payoff). So legal immigration is much tougher on us than the illegals who work at low end jobs you don't want.

I can't wait to see how many goodie will be in the new immigration bill. A thousand?

You know this is the United States senate and congress we are talking about here, there is no chance of this happening at all?

Then why bother at all? If we are willing to give fence jumpers, criminals and older visa overstayers alike permanent green cards then why not give permanent green cards to those entering legally after the border is 100% secure?

The idea of the Green Card in this proposal is to give them a way to remain here legally but no citizenship. It is a one time deal to get them out of the hiding and into tax paying.

The idea of the Green Card in this proposal is to give them a way to remain here legally but no citizenship. It is a one time deal to get them out of the hiding and into tax paying.

Shades of 1986...

OK. So your/Greta's plan is to make them into permanent U.S. tax payers but with no U.S. tax benefits or voting rights - taxation without representation? They are to pay into the U.S. tax system but remain exempt from all social safety net program (including SS/Medcare/Medcaid) benefits? The demorats will never agree to that or will simply change it to 100% amnesty at the first opportunity.

OK. So your/Greta's plan is to make them into permanent U.S. tax payers but with no U.S. tax benefits or voting rights - taxation without representation? They are to pay into the U.S. tax system but remain exempt from all social safety net program (including SS/Medcare/Medcaid) benefits? The demorats will never agree to that or will simply change it to 100% amnesty at the first opportunity.

First, I never said this was my plan. That being said, this is just my interpretation of what I am reading.

Well, other than no deportation at tax dollars expense, #3 already exists. Someone I knew in college from Canada ran into a problem where his degree included hands-on, paid work for credit toward his degree. He went home and was not allowed back into the US for a period of time because he worked even though to him it was part of his degree requirement.

The other stuff is largely unworkable. We will never be able to completely secure our borders and the "Go to the back of the line" option sounds good until you consider that the line is like 10 years or more long for people from certain Asian and Hispanic places. People are not going to go running home to wait in line when there is no meaningful consequence for staying where they are and doing what they are doing.

No, it says they get green cards and those who wish to become citizens go the back of the line.

I do not like it. Illegals should not be granted any legal status. Any enforcement measures and border security can gutted, neutered or ignored. Because once all those illegals have legal status the scum in office will say SIKE!!! and yank any enforcement measures, they can deny funding to any enforcement and border security or they can simply ignore the law. Plus this would be used pave a way for granting those with these new green cards full citizenship,pro-illegal scum will run sympathy ads, claim it isn't fair and so to get these people citizenship.

Here is my proposal for immigration reform-

1.Scum who hire illegals will face the same punishments that drug dealers, mobsters and other criminals who profit from and other use their finds for illegal activities do. Which is lengthy prison time, asset seizure and forfeiture(after a guilty conviction in a criminal court), and fines. This idea that scum who hire illegals can be deterred with measly fines and selective raids can be deterred is absurd.

2.In order to get any ID or driver's license you present a birth certificate, green card, or certificate of naturalization and social security card.After that require a state issued ID or driver's license be presented in order to the following-

-enroll yourself into school
-enroll your minor kids into school
-apply for welfare,food stamps,section 8 housing and any other tax payer assistance for yourself and or your children
-get a business license,fishing/hunting permit,building permit, license to practice law, food handlers permit, gun license(in states that require a permit to buy a gun),concealed carry permit(in states that require a license to conceal carry) or any other tax payer funded service
-open a bank account, cash a check, use a credit/debit/pre-paid card, apply for a loan,or wire money.
-rent,borrow,lease or buy property
-rent,borrow,lease or buy a motor vehicle.
-get legal documents for yourself or your children.
-get utilities

3.Every employer will use e-verify.

Your bill still displaces millions of Citizens that will be royaly pissed off and require expensive oppression.

And they will start building and greasing gillotines................

Only solution is 100% deportation, and massive increase in CITIZEN PAY.

Back
Top Bottom