• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Immigration Deal Would double size of Border Patrol And Finish 700 miles of Fence

Do you believe some if not most of this manpower should come from those returning from foreign wars who wish to get their 20 years service? These soldiers are already trained. Also, as with the Tree Army in the 1930's, they represent a first-strike force against Mother Nature's disasters.
Not necessarily.

Frankly, the fence is a waste of time and more for political grandstanding than anything else. It's one of those "feel good" measures that allows government to say to the voter "Look, we did something!" and then, in a year or two, they pull the manpower saying that the fence is sufficient and they'll save us money while the smugglers just bridge the fence like they do now.

The key to border security is and always will be manpower combined with a solid, enforceable, trackable guest worker law. If you make it easy for people to come here legally, work and go home then the only people you need to worry about on the remote border are the bad guys.

My personal preference would be for a sponsored guest worker program combined with employer verification and strict enforcement of immigration policy. You don't get to bring your family here with you if you're just coming to work and if you plan on staying then you start that process before you come here and you complete it in two years or less. If you're coming here for an education then you stay in school and maintain a respectable GPA. If you can't handle that then you go home. If you're here already you'd better get sponsored and do things the right way because if you get caught before you're legit you're going home and you're family is going with you.

Do you believe some if not most of this manpower should come from those returning from foreign wars who wish to get their 20 years service? These soldiers are already trained. Also, as with the Tree Army in the 1930's, they represent a first-strike force against Mother Nature's disasters.

Yes, they should be given preference, but remember their current training is to kill, so it would involve some retraining...

Im sure many conservatives would prefer this option be announced ahead of time. I still believe strongly in that mobile universal National Guard made up of ex-soldiers to quickly move to Natural and even Unnatural Disasters.
Yes, they should be given preference, but remember their current training is to kill, so it would involve some retraining...

A few years back in AZ we used the National Guard on OP's. In the sectors where they were traffic dropped to damned near zero. A program like that, in conjunction with BP, allows for training while also securing the border.

I am also not the least bit opposed to civilian volunteer groups as part of the process as long as they are coordinated with other assets. Much of the border area out here is rugged, remote and basically inhospitable to much of anything except scorpions and snakes. Unfortunately it is also those areas that human traffickers run their groups and every year we have a few dozen folks wind up dead from exposure. Civilian groups focused on search and rescue in these areas can help quite a bit when it comes to this kind of thing especially if they tend to be familiar with the area and the local ranchers.

Last edited:
How many times do we have to finish that damn fence?
If I wasn't so trusting I'd have to conclude this Immigration "Deal" is yet another shell game with the border fence as the pea that ain't really under any of the shells.
But it's not like that's ever happened before ... has it?

How many times do we have to finish that damn fence?
If I wasn't so trusting I'd have to conclude this Immigration "Deal" is yet another shell game with the border fence as the pea that ain't really under any of the shells.
But it's not like that's ever happened before ... has it?

I'm shocked that you believe our government would lie about the fence!!:shock:

Afterall they are so truthful otherwise!!:mrgreen:

Until this country addresses the issue and practice of hiring illegal workers we can all be certain this fence or proposed fence will solve nothing.....as long as there is employment and a means for them to make a living in the US they will continue to find ways to gain access.....take away the ability for them to work illegally they will lose the desire to come here.

Senators plan to introduce a 'Border Surge' plan that would double the size of the Border Patrol and ensure that 700 miles of fencing is finished on the Southern border.

Read more here: Immigration deal would double size of Border Patrol - Manu Raju and Seung Min Kim - POLITICO.com

I just want to add that every sovereign country on this planet has the right to guard its borders against unwelcome intrusions and control access to its territory.

This should have been done a long time ago.

I totally support this idea and anyone who knows me, knows that I am not anti-immigrant. My wife is an immigrant (She didn't sneak across the border.).

"Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

Securing the border is important for security. Like you said, has nothing to do with Anti-Immigration.

I just read a good article in the "National Parks" magazine issue of summer 2013 about Fort Bowie to your south. Seems to me the old Chiricahua Apache would be a good scout for the USA even today, unless he is helping the traffickers.
A few years back in AZ we used the National Guard on OP's. In the sectors where they were traffic dropped to damned near zero. A program like that, in conjunction with BP, allows for training while also securing the border.

I am also not the least bit opposed to civilian volunteer groups as part of the process as long as they are coordinated with other assets. Much of the border area out here is rugged, remote and basically inhospitable to much of anything except scorpions and snakes. Unfortunately it is also those areas that human traffickers run their groups and every year we have a few dozen folks wind up dead from exposure. Civilian groups focused on search and rescue in these areas can help quite a bit when it comes to this kind of thing especially if they tend to be familiar with the area and the local ranchers.

I'm assuming you're referring to our government all the way back to the start of the Indian wars.

The more I hear about this thing the worse it sounds ... particularly because of clear determination to subordinate actual verifiable border security to the rest of the elements in the proposal .. and seeing who's promoting it the most doesn't help.

Rubio better wise up ... he's being used and is perhaps too career conscious.
As for the rest, I have no reason to trust any of 'em.

Until this country addresses the issue and practice of hiring illegal workers we can all be certain this fence or proposed fence will solve nothing.....as long as there is employment and a means for them to make a living in the US they will continue to find ways to gain access.....take away the ability for them to work illegally they will lose the desire to come here.
Why not just publish an historical list of employers who have broken the law and what their penalties have been? I know, crooked capitalism doesn't work that way and never will.

The more I hear about this thing the worse it sounds ... particularly because of clear determination to subordinate actual verifiable border security to the rest of the elements in the proposal .. and seeing who's promoting it the most doesn't help.

Rubio better wise up ... he's being used and is perhaps too career conscious.
As for the rest, I have no reason to trust any of 'em.

Any "deal" should be answered with not just no, but HELL NO unless border security is complete and current immigration status of is verifiable and effective...

Good afternoon bubba...

Not necessarily.

Frankly, the fence is a waste of time and more for political grandstanding than anything else. It's one of those "feel good" measures that allows government to say to the voter "Look, we did something!" and then, in a year or two, they pull the manpower saying that the fence is sufficient and they'll save us money while the smugglers just bridge the fence like they do now.

The key to border security is and always will be manpower combined with a solid, enforceable, trackable guest worker law. If you make it easy for people to come here legally, work and go home then the only people you need to worry about on the remote border are the bad guys.

My personal preference would be for a sponsored guest worker program combined with employer verification and strict enforcement of immigration policy. You don't get to bring your family here with you if you're just coming to work and if you plan on staying then you start that process before you come here and you complete it in two years or less. If you're coming here for an education then you stay in school and maintain a respectable GPA. If you can't handle that then you go home. If you're here already you'd better get sponsored and do things the right way because if you get caught before you're legit you're going home and you're family is going with you.

That's almost exactly my view on the matter. We do need workers in some fields(temporary)like agriculture. Also need more nurses and others in the medical professions. Not to mention keeping those from overseas that graduate from our universities here,not going back home with what they learn.
Unfortunately,this bill still allows for chain migration. It also fails big on tracking those within the country and get lost in the system. Building a fence and hiring more government unionzed workers is window dressing. I could not vote for this bill.

That's almost exactly my view on the matter. We do need workers in some fields(temporary)like agriculture. Also need more nurses and others in the medical professions. Not to mention keeping those from overseas that graduate from our universities here,not going back home with what they learn.
Unfortunately,this bill still allows for chain migration. It also fails big on tracking those within the country and get lost in the system. Building a fence and hiring more government unionzed workers is window dressing. I could not vote for this bill.

What would be your reasoning for bringing in foreign workers to work in agriculture just because those currently unemployed won't do that work? What that tells me is you would be for subsidizing those in agriculture against having to pay a competitive wage and benefit package in the marketplace...

Why not just publish an historical list of employers who have broken the law and what their penalties have been? I know, crooked capitalism doesn't work that way and never will.

It's not just crooked capitalism....for example as an immigrant I was NEVER asked to show proof of work authorization in this country....being the honest type I offered it at each of my employers and the usual response was a puzzled expression like they were clueless on what to do with the stuff.....I know that's not an excuse but very few HR employees are well versed on this subject and as long as you present a SSN number they assume you are a citizen allowed to work.....now if they took to time to ask to physically see the SSN card it is clearly marked Not Valid without Proof of Work Authorization....in other words they are expected to request your Work Authorization/Green Card/Residency Card or whatever proof you have to show you can legally work in this country....having a SSN is not proof!

ETA...I forgot to mention I'm Caucasian who speaks English as my 1st language and immigrated here from Canada when I married an American so there was no immediate RED flag to employers that I was an immigrant...it still doesn't excuse the fact they are ignorant to who can legally work in this country or not.....heck....there are many American's who assume because you marry an American that you automatically become legal or a citizen in this country....very far form the truth...you still have to apply to immigrate even if you are already in the country.

Last edited:
I just read a good article in the "National Parks" magazine issue of summer 2013 about Fort Bowie to your south. Seems to me the old Chiricahua Apache would be a good scout for the USA even today, unless he is helping the traffickers.

There are Native American tracker teams down here both on the reservation and attached to CBP. The Chiracahua Apache were some hearty souls! It's fascinating to head down into that area and imagine how Cochise and Geronimo got around and survived.

Here's how I know this whole thing is just another Lucy with the football scam. Before and right after critters got the news that the American public just isn't buying the need to give amnesty to millions of illegals their script, echoed here by certain posters, was that it would be impossible to complete the fence. That we couldn't afford it on our best day. The cost of building it and staffing the Border Patrol would bankrupt us for sure.

How many times did we hear that from the same asshats who are now going for this dodge? Flat out, I don't believe them. They're just trying to wedge their foot in the door where they can give amnesty and then go back to forgetting about enforcement.

What would be your reasoning for bringing in foreign workers to work in agriculture just because those currently unemployed won't do that work? What that tells me is you would be for subsidizing those in agriculture against having to pay a competitive wage and benefit package in the marketplace...

Well,as long as we have 99 week unemployment and a VERY generous welfare state,people are not taking those jobs. In addition,most of those jobs are temporary in nature. Like picking apples and produce. Of course,if we cut some welfare perhaps people would take those jobs.

Well,as long as we have 99 week unemployment and a VERY generous welfare state,people are not taking those jobs. In addition,most of those jobs are temporary in nature. Like picking apples and produce. Of course,if we cut some welfare perhaps people would take those jobs.

I'm all for giving the federal government a mastectomy...

The bill authorizes 20,000 more on border patrol by the year 2021, but it does not fund it. It authorizes the border fences but does not fund it and gives power to Sec. of Home Security to stop it. Here once more we have politicians voting on a bill they have not read and have no idea what is in it. I suppose it is another "We have to pass the bill to find out whats in it" bill. These bills before Congress are 100% absurd and Congress should reject them as soon as the are presented.

Back
Top Bottom