• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle....any thoughts?

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I don't use the library because I can't be counted on to return the books on time. (Yeah, I know....) It just seems like a great little gimmick that one can take with to pass the time....do you have one? Do you like it?

Gutenburg has a billion free ebooks.

Ebooks can also be acquired through... other... means. :ninja:

But kindles are neet.

Gutenburg has a billion free ebooks.

Ebooks can also be acquired through... other... means. :ninja:

But kindles are neet.

Thanks, SE. Who'da thought one could get FREE ones!!! Wow!!! Thank you so much!!

Don't get one, the name is misleading, they are a pain in the arse to set on fire.

:rofl :rofl

I have been thinking the same think Maggie, so I asked my sister who has one, and says they are the greatest thing ever. Fits easy in the purse, takes no time to download a book, and is easy to read. Can get millions of books cheap.

Personally I would go with the iPad. But the Kindle is cheaper.

Wow! Some great feedback! Decision made. Thank you all very much.

I don't have a kindle, but I do have a Nook (Barnes and Noble's competing device) and I really love it. If you're like me though, you'll find yourself spending a lot more money on books than you used to, just because it is so easy to buy them now.

For me, there is something magical about going to the book store, touching the books, reading the summaries on the back cover or on the inside of the sleeve.

I don't think I could replicate that experience with a kindle.

You forget that Apple is evil.

6264.jpg

:mrgreen:

Dunno, can you photoshop on a mac?

Dunno, can you photoshop on a mac?

Yes, yes you can :yes: However the above image has happened to me before on my Windows system, it isn't shopped. Mac may be evil, but evil seems to run more efficiently :pimpdaddy:

Yes, yes you can :yes: However the above image has happened to me before on my Windows system, it isn't shopped. Mac may be evil, but evil seems to run more efficiently :pimpdaddy:

I have zero issues running anything on Windows, and I know everything will run on it. Mac is much more limited on what it will run.

For me, there is something magical about going to the book store, touching the books, reading the summaries on the back cover or on the inside of the sleeve.

I don't think I could replicate that experience with a kindle.

You can still do that, you just buy the book for the kindle as you walk out.

I've had my Kindle since December, 2007; it's great! If it's not available on the Kindle then I'll just have to wait. My eyesight has declined considerably in the past few years and it makes reading much more enjoyable again. I get The New York Times and San Francisco Chronicle delivered on it every day so even when I'm traveling I have my morning papers with me.

I have zero issues running anything on Windows, and I know everything will run on it. Mac is much more limited on what it will run.

Possibly with video games that the real downside for most people. Some more obscure professional business software may not have an equivalent.
For 2D design mac is the way to go, easy support for pen pads and other hardware, good color calibration, great support for adobe and all big 2d software programs.

I got the iPad and downloaded the kindle book reader. I just can't stand it. I need the tactile feel of a book, the smell of the book and the feel of the pages. I haven't been able to get through 2 pages on the iPad. The other thing is... when the battery in the iPad dies or in about 5 years when the iPad no longer is used much or dies or whatever... books are gone. My paper books are still perfectly good to either donate, lend, or re-read for another 60 years or so depending, and they're biodegradable. No so with the kindle or iPad.

The other thing is... when the battery in the iPad dies or in about 5 years when the iPad no longer is used much or dies or whatever... books are gone.

That's actually not true. Amazon keeps a list of what books you've purchased and you can download them more than once. At least, that's the way it works with Barnes and Noble's E-Books, and I would assume Amazon works the same way.

That's actually not true. Amazon keeps a list of what books you've purchased and you can download them more than once. At least, that's the way it works with Barnes and Noble's E-Books, and I would assume Amazon works the same way.

I meant on that device - but your right I should be able to download the book again... if that service is still available from B&N or Amazon.

I don't use the library because I can't be counted on to return the books on time. (Yeah, I know....) It just seems like a great little gimmick that one can take with to pass the time....do you have one? Do you like it?

I can't for the life of me read books off an e-book reader. I can't stare at the screen long enough. Also, I tend to fall asleep when I read, so I'd likely break it eventually. Besides, what if a natural disaster happened and I lost power for a few weeks? It would be good for a few hours, but then it'd be just as useless as everything else that requires electricity.

I much prefer paperbacks. I wear cargo pants and so what I will do is buy a paperback to read and carry it with me in my pocket. When I have to wait somewhere, such as at a restaurant, I just pull it out and read.

That's just me, though. Do I spend a lot of hours staring at my computer screen? Yes. But I'm usually doing it in an interactive way, or looking back and forth between my screen and my television, so I only look at it for a few seconds at a time. A book, though, I'd have to be able to concentrate on for much longer than that to become engrossed in it like I like to be. I can't do that with a e-reader.

I can't for the life of me read books off an e-book reader. I can't stare at the screen long enough. Also, I tend to fall asleep when I read, so I'd likely break it eventually. Besides, what if a natural disaster happened and I lost power for a few weeks? It would be good for a few hours, but then it'd be just as useless as everything else that requires electricity.

I much prefer paperbacks. I wear cargo pants and so what I will do is buy a paperback to read and carry it with me in my pocket. When I have to wait somewhere, such as at a restaurant, I just pull it out and read.

The battery life on the kindle is a month. It's also lighter than all but the smallest paperback.

The battery life on the kindle is a month. It's also lighter than all but the smallest paperback.

Oh okay. I didn't know about the battery life.

And I'm not talking about how light it is. Rather, how sturdy is it?

Back
Top Bottom