• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm starting to think about firearms, need advice

I'm ashamed to say that in 10 years, I only qualified Expert once. That was my last qualification just a couple months before I ETSed.

Again, respectfully disagree. If someone invades your home and if your goal is truly to end the threat as quickly as possible, then birdshot for me would be a last resort in a shotgun. To each his own though.

You "goal" is to make the intruder leave....preferably without using violence.

Absolutely. What do you do when they don't want to leave?

Again, respectfully disagree. If someone invades your home and if your goal is truly to end the threat as quickly as possible, then birdshot for me would be a last resort in a shotgun. To each his own though.

You missed my point by a country mile ....

Army. '81-'91

Thanks, that gives me a better idea of what you had to do to qualify as Expert. Every branch is different.

How did you fair in the Army's grenade course? If I'm not mistaken the Army is the only military branch that awards a medal for grenades. In the Marine Corps you just have to be close, and that is good enough.

Not necessarily, it depends what the intruder's goal is. You need to be prepared.

What do you plan to do, throw your toaster at them? :doh

You simply ask them to leave, really really nicely. It works every time, except when it doesn't.

Thanks, that gives me a better idea of what you had to do to qualify as Expert. Every branch is different.

How did you fair in the Army's grenade course? If I'm not mistaken the Army is the only military branch that awards a medal for grenades. In the Marine Corps you just have to be close, and that is good enough.

Only did grenades in Basic. I qualified but don't recall with what result. IMO the grenade qualification badge was kind of a joke.

The AR platform comes in numerous calibers. 5.56 ain't the only game anymore. 6.5 Grendel, , 6.8 SPC, .300 Blackout and a host of wildcats. Military was considering a bigger caliber than 5.56 due to lack of knockdown at distance. M4 's short barrel hurt it's performance . The full 20" M16 did better.

The ar platform does come in many platforms, and is one of the most versatile platforms on earth, my rant is simply against those pushing the ar platform as the ultimate gun, many of which are part of a fad, and literally do not even understand the ar they promote.

You should pay attention at a gun range and watch how many ar owners know nothing about their firearm, and it becomes evident many bought them because it was a fad instead of buying them as a firearm that met their needs or criteria, and have no idea how versatile they are let alone what they are good at.

The ar platform does come in many platforms, and is one of the most versatile platforms on earth, my rant is simply against those pushing the ar platform as the ultimate gun, many of which are part of a fad, and literally do not even understand the ar they promote.

You should pay attention at a gun range and watch how many ar owners know nothing about their firearm, and it becomes evident many bought them because it was a fad instead of buying them as a firearm that met their needs or criteria, and have no idea how versatile they are let alone what they are good at.

So it's not an easy weapon platform to learn ?

People buy guns for all sorts of reasons. Mostly, they just want one. I've never had a fancy for one. Who wants to burn up $10.00 of ammo in a a few seconds?

People buy guns for all sorts of reasons. Mostly, they just want one. I've never had a fancy for one. Who wants to burn up $10.00 of ammo in a a few seconds?

My Remington .458 Win Mag cost me ~$5 per shot. Although, with a 60-pound felt recoil, you really don't want to fire more than two or three rounds.

Firearms are tools, and people buy tools to serve a particular purpose. How many people do you know buy a tool because "they just want one?" The people I know have a need first, then search for the right tool to fill that need. If they have a need to use Phillips-head screws, they buy a Phillips-head screwdriver. They do not just decide to buy a Phillips-head screwdriver because "they just want one."

A dog can take care of a lot of security problems. They can hear better than people, they make lots of noise and they can scare burglars off.

Dogs have a very different hearing range than humans. They can hear up to 20,000 hertz, for example, while humans only hear up to 2,000 hertz. However, it is a mistake to think all dogs can hear better than humans. Dogs with floppy ears, for example, hear a lot less than dogs with straight ears that stand up. Which means Dobermans and German Shepards can hear much better than Golden Retrievers or Labradors, for example. They still hear in the same range as all other dogs, much higher than humans, but they do not hear as well. They also cannot hear extremely low sounds, like we can. Dogs, for example, can't "hear" thunder. They feel it instead, and that is why it tends to frighten them.

=2distracted;1072065989]It may come to anarchy..I mean Total anarchy

Total anarchy? 24 hours a day, seven days a week etc., with no break too eat rest or anything else.

More like a bunch of looters using protesting as an excuse.

So totally arm yourself

Nothing wrong with that, but in light of your"total anarchy" it would also be a good idea to lay in food and water.

Back
Top Bottom