• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm starting to think about firearms, need advice

This is one of my favorites... Let me ask, let's say you live in a town of 100,000 people or around there... How much hunting would be going on in your scenario? Let's say 25% of the town was out hunting every day, thats 25,000 hunters roaming your little town every day. How much "big game" is there in your town?

PS: If this scenario comes to pass, I recommend hiding your snacks, I mean pets...

If this scenario comes to pass. I want to go out ion the first wave for sure. Who wants to live with crazy prepers and gun nuts.

If this scenario comes to pass. I want to go out ion the first wave for sure. Who wants to live with crazy prepers and gun nuts.

AT which point those crazy preppers would be called "right" and "wise", acting with foresight! I'll feed you if you stumble on my property..

This happens every ~80 years, so really, everyone should prepare just in case.

My thought is that if you're not sufficiently trained and used to confrontation, you most likely will get your gun taken from you and then shot with it. I wouldn't provoke an angry mob with a single firearm, just comply and live.

Far too logical. Every right winger here is a closet Rambo just waiting for their chance.

AT which point those crazy preppers would be called "right" and "wise", acting with foresight! I'll feed you if you stumble on my property..

This happens every ~80 years, so really, everyone should prepare just in case.

Right, Maybe? wise, debatable. Most would probably end up dying while shooting it out over the last 36 pack of TP at Costco anyway.
either way I don't would not want the future of humanity to be placed on their shoulders.

Right, Maybe? wise, debatable. Most would probably end up dying while shooting it out over the last 36 pack of TP at Costco anyway.
either way I don't would not want the future of humanity to be placed on their shoulders.

Guess who wasn't at Costco looking for toilet paper? Me. Because I always keep 4 big packs of Costco TP in the hopper.

Why? Because this happens every few decades (specifically, TP scares)

Also: avoid future inflation and buy it now.

You can make fun of that, OK, I get it ... but I won't be in a shoot out for TP with the rest of you :)

And since most of us who think in these terms try to live with a view towards compassion and kindness, we'll be happy to share, as long as you aren't trying to break down our doors :peace

Seems pretty obvious the USA is headed towards some calamity / collapse event though, so it's smart to prepare for it, and if it doesn't happen ... pre-inflation toilet paper price for the win!

This thread is nothing but a political swipe, nothing more. It has nothing to do with 'guns'..

Between Google and gun clubs there's a ton of info out there.. But someone needs' advice' about guns on a political forum? lol

OK. I'll try to be a little bit more helpful. There is a list of firearms training schools here. If you scroll down you'll find the list organized by state. I have personal experience with only one school on this list and it was outstanding but it's in Arizona which isn't exactly "northeast".

Your desire to get training is commendable but the quality of that training (and your adherence to it) will be the telling factor in its effectiveness. Ask a lot of questions about any school you attend and make sure you get reviews. If you hear the same name come up multiple times as a good choice then it probably is a good choice. Also, "good" and "inexpensive" don't necessarily run together.

As far as the type of firearm, that's kind of like asking about the type of screwdriver you should get. A firearm is a tool and one tool won't necessarily do every job that comes along. A handgun, for example is usually a good utility weapon for personal and home defense but it doesn't have the range you might need in other circumstances. You also need to consider things such as availability of ammunition, your comfort level in firing the weapon and your ability to maintain it.

A revolver will probably be the easiest weapon to get used to. We've all seen them used and everything about a revolver is fairly intuitive. Most are easy to maintain, easy to operate and quite reliable. They do, however, lack the capacity of pistols and the ease of reloading that most pistols have.

A basic bolt action rifle in a caliber large enough to take medium sized game is important. You probably won't need to regularly address 500+ yard targets but being able to do so should the need arise can be the difference between survival or starvation.

A simple pump action shotgun is another of the basic tools that should be in the "toolbox". Depending on the ammunition you have loaded it can be used to take fowl, 2 legged predators or even a bear. Such shotguns are generally easy to use, easy to maintain and the variety of ammunition they can accept make then an essential "close support" tool.

My recommendation is a .357 revolver with around a 4inch barrel if you’re looking at handgun.

The 357Mag will also shoot 38special so it’s like 2 guns in one and gives you more options.
The 4 inch barrel is long enough to allow for a bunch of technical stuff to happen making it a pretty efficient length to get a good amount of power and accuracy. It is also able to be carried with A relatively limited imprint.
I say revolver because they are generally easier to learn on and less prone to any jamming.

The best advice I have is find a public gun range that offers an introductory class. That range will probably rent guns for range use. Rent a few different types of various calibers and ignore our advice and get what is most comfortable and best meets your needs.

Sounds more like my daughters closet.....:shrug:

When can we expect one of your threads re the young lady?

When can we expect one of your threads re the young lady?

She is currently up in Minnesota helping her Aunts business get back up on its feet; the coronavirus left my sister short of employees, and since she worked for her for a few years and knows the system, she elected to help her out.

Her picture isn't in the post office or on a milk carton, so, I guess she is fine at the moment. ;)

But she will always be Dads little delicate flower.

Sounds to me as if you're letting the rhetoric of the right get to you. Don't give in to the politics of fear.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Open your eyes to the past two weeks.

My recommendation is a .357 revolver with around a 4inch barrel if you’re looking at handgun.

The 357Mag will also shoot 38special so it’s like 2 guns in one and gives you more options.
The 4 inch barrel is long enough to allow for a bunch of technical stuff to happen making it a pretty efficient length to get a good amount of power and accuracy. It is also able to be carried with A relatively limited imprint.
I say revolver because they are generally easier to learn on and less prone to any jamming.

The best advice I have is find a public gun range that offers an introductory class. That range will probably rent guns for range use. Rent a few different types of various calibers and ignore our advice and get what is most comfortable and best meets your needs.

For home defense depending on circumstances , size of property , population, area to protect, a 12 ga is very versatile. Huge assortment of ammunition types. A good handgun backup and you are covered.

Look up Paul Harrell on YouTube he has real world advice and may be a good introduction. YouTube

Last edited:
So I'm in the northeast and there's not much gun culture here. I fired a gun twice in my life, in the early 90's. The ease with which Seattle's police department was overtaken by a violent mob has me a bit concerned.

Does anyone have any recommendations for proper training and weapon selection to defend against a similar situation happening near me? I'm concerned that "antifa" will rampage through MY neighborhood and deny ME the right to live as an American.

You don't need to get a gun for Antifa unless you live in one of the cities. Once you get out of the cities there is no need to worry about Antifa. Most of the people I know in the rural Northeast are some of the best hunters and target shooters in the world. Antifa would have to be completely crazy to fool with them. It would be a suicide mission to say the least.

If you do get a gun the most important thing is to become familiar with the weapon. Read the instructions then take it apart clean it put it back together over and over until you understand everything about the gun. Knowledge about your firearm is the most important thing. If you are confused about any aspect of the weapon you need more training. If you have to look down at the weapon to determine if the safety is on you need more training. What will you do if you need to use it in a dark place. If you have to turn the light on to load it or determine if the safety is on you are not trained enough. Don't rely on others to teach you. Sad to say but too many people who claim to be experts I wouldn't be around if they brought out a gun. Once I see someone trying to figure out how to load their gun or work the action it is time to get out there. If you are confused go to a reliable gunsmith and usually they can clear up any confusion about the operation of your firearm. But the key is you have to put in the time and effort to become proficient with a firearm. It is like learning anything. You have to do it over and over until it is learned.

blackdog_50_round-tfb.jpg

AR15 with a 30 round clip. Hardly any recoil, light, small enough to get around the corners in the house.

The bullets are so fast they cause hydrostatic shock, killing people in an instant who would've lived had they been shot with a 9mm.

It's a rifle, so you can easily hit things way beyond accurate pistol range. Plus it shoots flat.

With a 30 round clip, you can stop a riot in its tracks.
I'll let you slip with the 'clip' thing...and thats not a 30 round mag its a 100 round drum...for a 22lr. Probably the Sportster.

Far too logical. Every right winger here is a closet Rambo just waiting for their chance.

Like you said, I'd rather go out early than struggle and put off the inevitable in a Mad Max world. I'd still fight for my life but have limited capacity anymore.

For home defense depending on circumstances , size of property , population, area to protect, a 12 ga is very versatile. Huge assortment of ammunition types. A good handgun backup and you are covered.

Look up Paul Harrell on YouTube he has real world advice and may be a good introduction. YouTube

There are a lot of advantages and some disadvantages to a shotgun.

I would be hesitant to recommend a shotgun to a new shooter only because the recoil may be a bit much. With practice that is negated but if the practice isn't put in during an emergency situation isn't the best time to be caught odd guard when you pull the trigger.

I'll let you slip with the 'clip' thing...and thats not a 30 round mag its a 100 round drum...for a 22lr. Probably the Sportster.

My daughter has a GSG 110 rd drum for her 10/22....she hates it; heavy, often fails to feed, more trouble than its worth to load and maintain.....its been a paperweight on her bedroom desk for about a year now.

So I'm in the northeast and there's not much gun culture here. I fired a gun twice in my life, in the early 90's. The ease with which Seattle's police department was overtaken by a violent mob has me a bit concerned.

Does anyone have any recommendations for proper training and weapon selection to defend against a similar situation happening near me? I'm concerned that "antifa" will rampage through MY neighborhood and deny ME the right to live as an American.
I dont think 'fear' is a great reason to buy a gun. But if you have decided that there is a legit concern and you want to look into buying a gun, the first step is to ask yourself to what end...carry or home defense. If you can afford to buy a weapon for carry and a weapon for home defense, things become a little easier. If you can only buy one weapon and you plan to carry and use for home defense, then you will probably need a handgun. Id probably go with a used Glock 19 with a few extra mags (I carry the .40 but the 9mm is a better round for novice shooters). Once you have the feel for the weapon you may decide you want to buy another but you can buy re manufactured police exchange Glocks at a good price.

If you are looking for castle defense, the AR is a good choice, but there are lots of decent choices.

Find a good range, take some classes, become familiar with your weapon.

Relax.

My daughter has a GSG 110 rd drum for her 10/22....she hates it; heavy, often fails to feed, more trouble than its worth to load and maintain.....its been a paperweight on her bedroom desk for about a year now.
Ive had mostly good experiences with the ones I own. But you have to shoot them a lot and you have to use the spraylube on them. They also work better with the CCI Stinger ammo. They work better with older and better broken in Rugers in my experience. The biggest pain in the butt is handjamming 110 rounds of 22lr ammo.

Ive had mostly good experiences with the ones I own. But you have to shoot them a lot and you have to use the spraylube on them. They also work better with the CCI Stinger ammo. They work better with older and better broken in Rugers in my experience. The biggest pain in the butt is handjamming 110 rounds of 22lr ammo.

She tends to use GECO match 22 lr…..and prefers a 10rd box mag; does not like the longer mags as its not as comfortable to fire from the prone.

Back
Top Bottom