• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm starting to think about firearms, need advice

Rickeroo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
So I'm in the northeast and there's not much gun culture here. I fired a gun twice in my life, in the early 90's. The ease with which Seattle's police department was overtaken by a violent mob has me a bit concerned.

Does anyone have any recommendations for proper training and weapon selection to defend against a similar situation happening near me? I'm concerned that "antifa" will rampage through MY neighborhood and deny ME the right to live as an American.

I'm concerned that "antifa" will rampage through MY neighborhood and deny ME the right to live as an American.

giphy.gif

View attachment 67283644

If a selection of skin tone band-aids sets you off, might want to rethink the whole firearm thing........just sayin’.

So I'm in the northeast and there's not much gun culture here. I fired a gun twice in my life, in the early 90's. The ease with which Seattle's police department was overtaken by a violent mob has me a bit concerned.

Does anyone have any recommendations for proper training and weapon selection to defend against a similar situation happening near me? I'm concerned that "antifa" will rampage through MY neighborhood and deny ME the right to live as an American.

Sounds to me as if you're letting the rhetoric of the right get to you. Don't give in to the politics of fear.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Couldn’t say. My training was go to the gun club and just start using it, well, them. One thing is for sure, this idea that we don’t need guns because we could just call the police has been pretty effectively buried.

You'd have to find one manufactured before 1986 and it might cost a few bucks but the M134 is a fine weapon for home defense when the concern is "assault by a raging mob".

Enlist in the US Army. They'll give you the BEST firearms training in the world and hell, you won't be limited to those stupid semi-automatic "assault rifles".

Couldn’t say. My training was go to the gun club and just start using it, well, them. One thing is for sure, this idea that we don’t need guns because we could just call the police has been pretty effectively buried.

Indeed - this long term 6 block takeover doesn't sit well with me. I may join a gun club. My dad was a member of one way back in the day.

blackdog_50_round-tfb.jpg

AR15 with a 30 round clip. Hardly any recoil, light, small enough to get around the corners in the house.

The bullets are so fast they cause hydrostatic shock, killing people in an instant who would've lived had they been shot with a 9mm.

It's a rifle, so you can easily hit things way beyond accurate pistol range. Plus it shoots flat.

With a 30 round clip, you can stop a riot in its tracks.

You'd have to find one manufactured before 1986 and it might cost a few bucks but the M134 is a fine weapon for home defense when the concern is "assault by a raging mob".

The ammunition costs are off the charts...........

Just stop watching Fox News and reading idiots posts on Facebook

Looks like a Gatling gun. Sweet!

Everyone should own:

- .22 for small game
- combat shotgun with bird shot for home defense (no need to kill, just scare, or pepper legs)
- 9mm handgun for defense
- 30-30 or bigger rifle for hunting in case we enter Mad Max world

This is just prudent, in my opinion.

I'm thinking a .40 cal automatic handgun might be the ticket. Less kick than a .45, but will definitely stop on of these crazies

it depends on what you can comfortably use. larger calibers can pack a punch and knock you on your butt if you aren't ready for them. you have to be able to hold a .357 to fire it.

a good sidearm for personal protection, a shotgun for close quarters and a rifle for distance if it becomes necessary are all you need for protection. if you can't get all 3 i get the shotgun , pistol and rifle in that order. I would take a gun safety course and be able to break down whatever gun you decide upon for cleaning before anything. I would get a standard caliber, such as .45, 9mm, 5.56, etc..., learn what those calibers go with and I would practice with them as much as possible, ALWAYS being aware of safety first. I ALWAYS remove bullets from my firearms and check and clear the chamber before putting them away so there is no doubt in my mind that it is unloaded until i need it loaded.

first tip... learn good form to hold the firearm and make it second nature. always hold it with both hands when ready to fire, including pistols. NEVER point it at someone unless you intend to kill them. you could try a smaller caliber like a .22 first? they are excellent for the budget (buying ammo) , easy to fire and will help you understand the firearm before getting into the larger calibers.

Everyone should own:

- .22 for small game
- combat shotgun with bird shot for home defense (no need to kill, just scare, or pepper legs)
- 9mm handgun for defense

This is just prudent, in my opinion.

In other places, this is an arsenal.........

Did you have similar fears that the bundy style take over of federal lands were going to spark others to do the same?

Last edited:
it depends on what you can comfortably use. larger calibers can pack a punch and knock you on your butt if you aren't ready for them. you have to be able to hold a .357 to fire it.

a good sidearm for personal protection, a shotgun for close quarters and a rifle for distance if it becomes necessary are all you need for protection. if you can't get all 3 i get the shotgun , pistol and rifle in that order. I would take a gun safety course and be able to break down whatever gun you decide upon for cleaning before anything. I would get a standard caliber, such as .45, 9mm, 5.56, etc..., learn what those calibers go with and I would practice with them as much as possible, ALWAYS being aware of safety first. I ALWAYS remove bullets from my firearms and check and clear the chamber before putting them away so there is no doubt in my mind that it is unloaded until i need it loaded.

first tip... learn good form to hold the firearm and make it second nature. always hold it with both hands when ready to fire, including pistols. NEVER point it at someone unless you intend to kill them. you could try a smaller caliber like a .22 first? they are excellent for the budget (buying ammo) , easy to fire and will help you understand the firearm before getting into the larger calibers.

.22 is a gateway weapon?

In other places, this is an arsenal.........

Nah, useless as an arsenal. You need 7.62 (or at least 556) for an arsenal.

This is just home defense, with a view towards not letting rounds escape the immediate area, and putting food on the table if society falls apart.

Everyone should own a shotgun for defense, bare minimum, and just use bird shot so it's not about killing people.

Well, ignoring the silliness about antifa. I would recommend a Bursa Thunder .380 or a Sig p238. Both have little kickback, are easy to train on, and a .380 is enough to stop most people. If you want to go 9mm, then I would try a M&P shield.

* all are small enough for concealed carry - check local requirements on permitting

For training ... see your local range and talk to the guys behind the counter for recommendations in your area.

Last edited:

This is one of my favorites... Let me ask, let's say you live in a town of 100,000 people or around there... How much hunting would be going on in your scenario? Let's say 25% of the town was out hunting every day, thats 25,000 hunters roaming your little town every day. How much "big game" is there in your town?

PS: If this scenario comes to pass, I recommend hiding your snacks, I mean pets...

Well as I understand it, Antifa hasn't been rampaging through the suburbs and such. I think they mostly just make a big deal about getting into brawls with white supremists and nazis. I mean, are you saying you're doing things which might bring the ire of Antifa against you?

This is one of my favorites... Let me ask, let's say you live in a town of 100,000 people or around there... How much hunting would be going on in your scenario? Let's say 25% of the town was out hunting every day, thats 25,000 hunters roaming your little town every day. How much "big game" is there in your town?

PS: If this scenario comes to pass, I recommend hiding your snacks, I mean pets...

Haha, completely agree. I would loathe living near a big city with all the big-time cycles approaching.

- currency collapse
- social collapse, 4th turning, etc
- solar minimum
- war cycle

Cities are going to be brutal, way worse than the 1930s. Moving 20+ miles away from cities over 80k population should come before firearm ownership.

Doesn't mean you need to live in the boonies. Wouldn't live on anywhere near a US coast, if we're going to enter these hyper-cycles.

My thought is that if you're not sufficiently trained and used to confrontation, you most likely will get your gun taken from you and then shot with it. I wouldn't provoke an angry mob with a single firearm, just comply and live.

Back
Top Bottom