• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm poor myself and I could not care less if someone else is rich.

You are not poor.
You have a place to live, food to eat, access to the internet and a device that connects you to the internet.
That is no way poor.

Seriously? You just described everyone in America but the homeless.

It is staggering to see so many people defend not only billionaires but also this failed president while tens of thousands die due to governmental neglect and depraved indifference.

It is staggering to see so many people defend not only protest murderers and criminal thugs but also rich Democrats while tens of thousands are forced to live in generational poverty caused by liberal policies.

Ten dollars to a billionaire is not the same as someone making minimum wage. Just cut out the loopholes the rich use to protect their money from taxes.

If you think the rich have no bearing on your life, you're kidding yourself.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, the rich pay almost all the taxes while 50% pay zero. I thought your side liked to deal in facts? Are you fact deniers?

A flat tax implies equal percentage rate of tax. That is an equal burden. Any tax levied on a poor person is a burden, but poor are not exempt from civic responsibility. Poor are more likely to be given welfare in other matters. There should be a motivation to exceed not become complacent.

I believe that everyone over the poverty line should pay taxes, even if only $100 per year. Everyone should have skin in the game.

so during times of discovery, some men have influence

but even during the beginning, Gates had competition....they didnt last long, because their products were inferior

Same as Jobs had competition, and almost went under with a few bad ideas at Apple

The market and consumer is fickle...we can like a product, but the moment a new better one comes along....boom, there goes that loyalty

That is why little companies can sprout up and become giants almost overnight....building the proverbial better mousetrap

Is it easy? Hell no....many try and fail miserably

But getting back to the OP....wealthy people have LITTLE affect on most peoples lives day in or day out (they just dont)

The wealthy has greater access to politicians with larger campaign bribes er donations.
They influence policy, to their benefit, not to average joes.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, the rich pay almost all the taxes while 50% pay zero. I thought your side liked to deal in facts? Are you fact deniers?

Why do you expect children and students to pay taxes?
They don't earn enough, if anything at all.
Many senior citizens don't either, because SS isn't paying them enough to qualify for taxes. If you mean income taxes.

Everyone who consumes pays taxes.

The 1% may pay the most, but not enough, we are spending more than we take in. But the 1 % also have 99% of the wealth in the country also.

Seriously? You just described everyone in America but the homeless.

Not quite. But a good amount.
Some have a place to live but not enough to eat.
I am sure, many have no internet access.

Why do you expect children and students to pay taxes?
They don't earn enough, if anything at all.
Many senior citizens don't either, because SS isn't paying them enough to qualify for taxes. If you mean income taxes.

Everyone who consumes pays taxes.

The 1% may pay the most, but not enough, we are spending more than we take in. But the 1 % also have 99% of the wealth in the country also.

Things are EXACTLY how the left want them right now. 50% pay no taxes while the rich pay the huge majority of the taxes. You currently have exactly what you want.

Not quite. But a good amount.
Some have a place to live but not enough to eat.
I am sure, many have no internet access.

Most have internet access. Most have smart phones.

Things are EXACTLY how the left want them right now. 50% pay no taxes while the rich pay the huge majority of the taxes. You currently have exactly what you want.

Because many of the 50% are students. Highschool and lower. Many are college students, not earning any money or not enough to qualify for income tax. And many are senior citizens who don't get enough SS to qualify for income taxes.
That's what you claim the left wants? what?

Do you think only the left wants children and seniors with not enough income to pay taxes? I doubt it. So why keep bringing it up?

The wealthy has greater access to politicians with larger campaign bribes er donations.
They influence policy, to their benefit, not to average joes.

again....how does that affect YOU

other than jealousy....really?

how does their life affect your life?

what exactly is different?

First off, I don't envy the rich. Yes, someday I'd aspire to get a career that would get me there, but I focus on the now. I don't blame any of the rich for my problems, and I don't think they should have to give up any of their income to support me. I still support either a flat tax, a fair tax, but the best option I think would be a basic consumption tax (not a fair tax). I think any of those would be the best options. I do have a disability, and I get some aid. But I'm striving to work my way out of it, unlike some. I think privatization of my aid would still be better. I plan to go to a different state to go to school someday, but for privacy reasons (I already told you enough) I won't share what those are. I will tell you it's a liberal dominated field though.

Well that would be nice if big oil corporations and industries pay taxes.

again....how does that affect YOU

other than jealousy....really?

how does their life affect your life?

what exactly is different?

Policies of the gov't, laws, regulations. Affect everyone in the country.
We don't live in a vacuum.

so during times of discovery, some men have influence

but even during the beginning, Gates had competition....they didnt last long, because their products were inferior

Same as Jobs had competition, and almost went under with a few bad ideas at Apple

The market and consumer is fickle...we can like a product, but the moment a new better one comes along....boom, there goes that loyalty

That is why little companies can sprout up and become giants almost overnight....building the proverbial better mousetrap

Is it easy? Hell no....many try and fail miserably

But getting back to the OP....wealthy people have LITTLE affect on most peoples lives day in or day out (they just don't)

That isn't true the rich have everything to do with the lives of people day to day...
The rich dictate what your income will be...because you work for them
The rich decide what the products you need to live will cost....
The rich decide what the taxes will be...
The rich decide what you read ..what you eat...and whether you live or not..
The rich control everything through monopolies and creating laws that grandfather them
in and excluding everyone else...

I could go on and on for hours but I'll save my time of something that's not as obvious as
THE RICH CONTROL EVERYONES LIVES IN THE US....PERIOD

Policies of the gov't, laws, regulations. Affect everyone in the country.
We don't live in a vacuum.

specifics....

what is different.....

would you have a better life? how?

tell us HOW they affect your life....it shouldnt be that hard....

That isn't true the rich have everything to do with the lives of people day to day...
The rich dictate what your income will be...because you work for them
The rich decide what the products you need to live will cost....
The rich decide what the taxes will be...
The rich decide what you read ..what you eat...and whether you live or not..
The rich control everything through monopolies and creating laws that grandfather them
in and excluding everyone else...

I could go on and on for hours but I'll save my time of something that's not as obvious as
THE RICH CONTROL EVERYONES LIVES IN THE US....PERIOD

i work for myself....

before, i worked in a privately held huge company, where i was second in command (and yes, my boss was wealthy)

he paid me very handsomely to help him run his company, so that now i can run my own

consumers decide most of those things....and WE make most of the wealthy

we decide what products and services to buy....and more importantly, which ones we wont buy

we decide whether or not to go to the huge mega stores owned by the mega corporations, or go to the local stores which hold a lot less items to choose from at slightly higher prices (we decide ALL OF THAT)

if you want to say that every legislator is bought and paid for...okay...i prefer to think we have a few honest ones out there

and no, they no longer control what you read, listen to, and such...UNLESS YOU LET THEM

there are so many people who self publish...we have one on this site

musicians are no longer beholden to big record labels....

and if you get all your news from MSNBC, FOX, and CNN i feel sorry for you

so no...really they dont control EVERYTHING....

First off, I don't envy the rich. Yes, someday I'd aspire to get a career that would get me there, but I focus on the now. I don't blame any of the rich for my problems, and I don't think they should have to give up any of their income to support me. I still support either a flat tax, a fair tax, but the best option I think would be a basic consumption tax (not a fair tax). I think any of those would be the best options. I do have a disability, and I get some aid. But I'm striving to work my way out of it, unlike some. I think privatization of my aid would still be better. I plan to go to a different state to go to school someday, but for privacy reasons (I already told you enough) I won't share what those are. I will tell you it's a liberal dominated field though.

This is that standard dumb**** rightwing lie that taxing the rich is based on "envy" of them. This is a perfect example of gaslighting, albeit clumsy and puerile. Our capitalist system as practiced by Republicans is based on the now completely and thoroughly debunked as voodoo "trickle down" economics--the absurd and serially failed idea that maximizing the wealth of a few at the top of the income stratosphere through both individual and corporate tax windfalls will find a way to the middle class. It failed when Reagan began this disastrous policy and every time it's been re-implemented since then--and never more magnificently and obviously failed as it is now with Dirtbag. This country is now a full-blow plutocracy. The repeated lies phrased in pleasingly sounding clichés like "rising tides raise all boats" and "lowering taxes on the rich will eliminate deficits" (until Cheney blew this cover by honestly(for the one time in his despicable life) saying "deficits don't matter."

It's always been a massive fraud and the American people have only themselves to blame for being so gullible and susceptible to con-men like Dirtbag and all his like-minded predecessors. This has nothing to do with envy. It has everything to do with trying to keep this Republic from irreversibly becoming a country entirely run by the corporate boardrooms if it's not already too late to prevent that.

i work for myself....

before, i worked in a privately held huge company, where i was second in command (and yes, my boss was wealthy)

he paid me very handsomely to help him run his company, so that now i can run my own

consumers decide most of those things....and WE make most of the wealthy

we decide what products and services to buy....and more importantly, which ones we wont buy

we decide whether or not to go to the huge mega stores owned by the mega corporations, or go to the local stores which hold a lot less items to choose from at slightly higher prices (we decide ALL OF THAT)

if you want to say that every legislator is bought and paid for...okay...i prefer to think we have a few honest ones out there

and no, they no longer control what you read, listen to, and such...UNLESS YOU LET THEM

there are so many people who self publish...we have one on this site

musicians are no longer beholden to big record labels....

and if you get all your news from MSNBC, FOX, and CNN i feel sorry for you

so no...really they dont control EVERYTHING....

I wonder how someone like you who should have seen up close what a danger our corporatocracy is could be so naïve but then realize it's not that. It's solely self-interest pretending to be patriotism. You put your self-interest above that of the Republic's every time and tell yourself that's a good thing.

Its basically the lazy drones and the greedy that have a problem with rich people. Some have old money, and many had a brilliant idea they applied to business.

I wonder how someone like you who should have seen up close what a danger our corporatocracy is could be so naïve but then realize it's not that. It's solely self-interest pretending to be patriotism. You put your self-interest above that of the Republic's every time and tell yourself that's a good thing.

i lived in the DC area for nearly 40 years

i dont see life through the same jaded lenses as a lot of people do

you see that as a fault...i see that as a positive

i dont have to agree with your position to listen to you....

i expect the same from others....

i just believe we control our own destiny....and the wealthy have little or no REAL CONTROL on my or your life on a day to day basis

your views of course may differ....

Which is not all.

Not every American has everything. There is nothing in the constitution which says that all Americans must have everything. There are things other Americans have that I don't have. So what?

Because many of the 50% are students. Highschool and lower. Many are college students, not earning any money or not enough to qualify for income tax. And many are senior citizens who don't get enough SS to qualify for income taxes.
That's what you claim the left wants? what?

Do you think only the left wants children and seniors with not enough income to pay taxes? I doubt it. So why keep bringing it up?

You want the rich to pay the majority of the taxes. The rich do pay the majority of the taxes.

specifics....

what is different.....

would you have a better life? how?

tell us HOW they affect your life....it shouldnt be that hard....

Go back to the 1950s. When the rich paid 90% tax rate.
The USA was a white man's haven.

You want the rich to pay the majority of the taxes. The rich do pay the majority of the taxes.

I don't care really.
I just wonder why it concerns you so much that children, college students, and senior citizens are not paying more in taxes.

Back
Top Bottom