• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm having a bit of a head-scratcher concerning oil/gasoline.

Biden's actions are just a small piece of the puzzle, but cutting local supplies while demand is increasing
did not help the global price of oil.

The Saudis did it and what is your action to help stopping this on-going issue?

I think we should encourage development of power to liquid fuels, with at least the same level of intensity as for battery electric cars, as it has a much greater potential to cut emissions and produce energy sustainability.
Once the details are worked out, all nations will be able to produce as much fuel as they demand.
Solar energy is great, but almost useless without massive energy storage, we should follow nature’s lead and store the energy as transport fuels.
Making the fuel from atmospheric CO2 will result in carbon neutral fuels.

I think we should encourage development of power to liquid fuels, with at least the same level of intensity as for battery electric cars, as it has a much greater potential to cut emissions and produce energy sustainability.
Once the details are worked out, all nations will be able to produce as much fuel as they demand.
Solar energy is great, but almost useless without massive energy storage, we should follow nature’s lead and store the energy as transport fuels.
Making the fuel from atmospheric CO2 will result in carbon neutral fuels.

Huh?

The issue with solar and wind is that they do no provide energy all the time. All the solar panels in ap state are useless at night. If the wind is not blowing, windmills do not generate power. So a storage system would be required. It could be from massive batteries, or a synthetic fuel, or hydrogen or storing kinetic energy to be released when solar or wind is not available

I have six gas vehicles not counting my two boats and four motorcycles. My next vehicle purchase will be a pre 1970s truck so that it does not require smog certification.

All of my appliances are gas, and I already am in the process of stockpiling as many replacement parts for my vintage MADE IN AMERICA 30+ year old appliances.

I have lifetime supply of incandescent light bulbs in storage because I hate LED crap.

Gas lawnmower, chainsaws, blower, generators.... I have all of that.

I have a huge property will lots of green lawns which I water everyday and keep it green with lots of chemicals.

I wash my cars myself each week, and I even hose down the sidewalks and the strreet.

I don't recycle anything. Everything goes to the landfill.

I do all of these things because I want to and can afford to. Same way Al Gore and John Kerry do what they want to do as they fly around in jets acting like protectors of the climate.
I got a little carried away hopping up the speed queen before I went electric washer; broke the kick starter off from too much compression. Killed off the mileage too - barely got 4 pair of jeans and 6 sets of undies to the gallon, but they were squeaky clean!

You asked,
It is an ongoing issue, and the way we stop it is to make every place on Earth capable of making their own fuel,
without the need for any oil, thus stripping the capability of controlling energy prices away from the oil countries.
Because any desired fuel can be made from water, atmospheric CO2, and electricity, Power to liquid technology.
It is possible for fuel to be made anywhere. It is really an energy storage methodology like a battery,
but with many times the energy density, and the capability to run all existing fuel powered machinery.

The issue with solar and wind is that they do no provide energy all the time. All the solar panels in ap state are useless at night. If the wind is not blowing, windmills do not generate power. So a storage system would be required. It could be from massive batteries, or a synthetic fuel, or hydrogen or storing kinetic energy to be released when solar or wind is not available
So you want more food made into fuel?

That's what synthetic fuels are

You asked,

It is an ongoing issue, and the way we stop it is to make every place on Earth capable of making their own fuel,
without the need for any oil, thus stripping the capability of controlling energy prices away from the oil countries.
Because any desired fuel can be made from water, atmospheric CO2, and electricity, Power to liquid technology.
It is possible for fuel to be made anywhere. It is really an energy storage methodology like a battery,
but with many times the energy density, and the capability to run all existing fuel powered machinery.

Sounds like it should work, why aren’t we further along?

Sounds like it should work, why aren’t we further along?
The pushback from the people who have already selected an invalid path, Battery electric cars.
The reality is that battery electric cars do not possess the capability to reduce CO2 emissions much,
but Power to Liquid technology would actually have a solid impact.
Another sticking point is that the oil companies will likely be the ones who implement the technology,
and the green movement has spent the last 40 years demonizing the oil companies.
The irony that the oil companies will be the path to lower emissions, and energy sustainability,
and not Government regulation, is too much.
The reason I say it will be the oil companies, is that they already have the expertise in working with hydrocarbons,
as well as an intact distribution infrastructure, and customer demand.
What was holding things up was the price of oil, Based on the Naval Research Labs work,
it takes about 55 kWh of electricity to create a gallon of gasoline (33kWh).
At a wholesale electricity price of $0.05 per kWh, this would work out to an oil price of ~$96 a barrel.
While oil was below that price, there was no profit incentive to put the technology into production.
Exxon Baytown is converting the first unit currently to make low carbon fuel.
It will only be low CO2 emission, because the source of hydrogen at first will be natural gas.
ExxonMobil planning hydrogen production, carbon capture and storage at Baytown complex

Last edited:

That isn't it. You can take carbon dioxide + hydrogen from water + energy and make hydrocarbons + oxygen, similar to what photosynthesis does. This is what you can do when overbuilding solar and wind, and create fuels from the excess electricity.

LOP beat me to it but, No not all synthetic fuels are made from food crops.
Power to liquid technology
In addition, advanced thermochemical catalytic processes are able to produce “drop-in” fuels that are compatible with the existing infrastructure.
No plant material or biomass is used in the creation of the fuel, only hydrogen and Carbon from CO2.

Back
Top Bottom