• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm getting really discouraged regarding the future

GreatNews2night

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The WHO has warned that there is no proof that people who recover from the virus have good immunity. Some have very low antibody levels.

As global death toll tops 200,000, WHO warns there'''s no evidence of coronavirus immunity

If this is the case, it doesn't bode well for a vaccine.

If this virus becomes endemic and comes back over and over seasonally, no vaccine is found to be effective, and no antivirals or other medications are found to combat it effectively, we may be for the foreseeable future facing an invisible enemy that can snick up on you and kill you, if you are of a certain age group with some underlying medical conditions (which is my case). Life may never be the same, especially if it is confirmed through wide antibody sample testing and the final death toll after this first wave, that its case-fatality rate is indeed several times that of the flu (which does have an at least partially effective vaccine).

In my case, not only I have significant risk factors, but I also work in a profession that greatly exposes me to the virus.

So, if no good vaccine is forthcoming, I'll have to contemplate a radical and permanent work and lifestyle change if I want to stay alive: always working using cumbersome PPE, and avoiding the very things in life that I love the most. I'm a very gregarious person, who loves to go out to restaurants and bars with friends, to invite people over for dinner, and to go to concerts and sports stadiums. I also love travel, and it seems like in this situation it would be quite scary to get into an airplane cabin, and God forbid, a cruise ship.

Not fun.

Of course, this personal hardship takes second fiddle to the much worse sorrow of seeing one's patients dying and seeing the pain expressed by their loved ones, not to forget the economic hardship of so many less fortunate fellow Americans.

I'm feeling particularly pessimistic today.

The WHO has warned that there is no proof that people who recover from the virus have good immunity. Some have very low antibody levels.

As global death toll tops 200,000, WHO warns there'''s no evidence of coronavirus immunity

If this virus becomes endemic and comes back over and over seasonally, no vaccine is found to be effective, and no antivirals or other medications are found to combat it effectively, we may be for the foreseeable future facing an invisible enemy that can snick up on you and kill you, if you are of a certain age group with some underlying medical conditions (which is my case). Life may never be the same, especially if it is confirmed through wide antibody sample testing and the final death toll after this first wave, that its case-fatality rate is indeed several times that of the flu (which does have an at least partially effective vaccine).

In my case, not only I have significant risk factors, but I also work in a profession that greatly exposes me to the virus.

So, if no good vaccine is forthcoming, I'll have to contemplate a radical and permanent work and lifestyle change if I want to stay alive: always working using cumbersome PPE, and avoiding the very things in life that I love the most. I'm a very gregarious person, who loves to go out to restaurants and bars with friends, to invite people over for dinner, and to go to concerts and sports stadiums. I also love travel, and it seems like in this situation it would be quite scary to get into an airplane cabin, and God forbid, a cruise ship.

Not fun.

Of course, this personal hardship takes second fiddle to the much worse sorrow of seeing one's patients dying and seeing the pain expressed by their loved ones, not to forget the economic hardship of so many less fortunate fellow Americans.

Yes, this is why the seasonal flu vaccine isn't 100% effective for all people taking it. Not good. Just to add to your pessimism; are we heading for another extinction event?

Extinction event - Wikipedia

Well, we live in a day and age where most people are staying safe. 100 years ago, people just died in the millions.
So from a broader historical perspective, you won the lottery and are in a way more optimistic position than those people during earlier epidemics.

I hear you though...so much we still don't know.

But maybe if we can develop treatments that work, then immunity will be less important. Especially if we can get on-demand testing a year from now.
On-demand testing + an effective treatment that is especially effective if taken early (like if you test positive but don't have bad symptoms yet), that could be another successful way to resume living together, without a vaccine. So there is still hope!!

Not fun.

Totally understandable. That being said a lot depends on how you choose to live your life. Not saying there is a right or wrong way. Each person chooses his/her own path.

I am in the same category as you seem to be. There are certain things I will dismiss such as a cruise or a long airplane flight right now. However there will be a time when I will do the things I want,knowing that there are risks. I have long thought there is a difference between existing and living. I will follow the state edicts, but once lifted will hope to start living again.

I've heard that and I've heard that the chances are much better that there will be a vaccine. Right now I haven't given up on a vaccine but I do think that those of us who are in the higher risk category are in for a long haul before we can feel truly safe.

Yes, this is why the seasonal flu vaccine isn't 100% effective for all people taking it. Not good. Just to add to your pessimism; are we heading for another extinction event?

Extinction event - Wikipedia

No, why the hyperbole? No extinction event. Just another bad disease we may have to learn to live with and avoid dying from. There are many other bad diseases out there, there's been worse pandemics in the past (the plague, the Spanish flu) and humanity has survived.

Well, we live in a day and age where most people are staying safe. 100 years ago, people just died in the millions.
So from a broader historical perspective, you won the lottery and are in a way more optimistic position than those people during earlier epidemics.

I hear you though...so much we still don't know.

But maybe if we can develop treatments that work, then immunity will be less important. Especially if we can get on-demand testing a year from now.
On-demand testing + an effective treatment that is especially effective if taken early (like if you test positive but don't have bad symptoms yet), that could be another successful way to resume living together, without a vaccine. So there is still hope!!

Hope, yes, but if you have been following the medical literature about proposed treatments, neither has been particularly successful. This, of course, could still change... but in my bout of pessimism, I'm feeling that this may be another hope that won't pay off. Certain viruses are resilient enemies.

my guess is that those who make their livings coming up with treatments for things are highly aware of this virus. it will be interesting to see what this looks like in a year, assuming.

Back
Top Bottom