• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm black and get persucuted by others blacks. Guess why.

You haven't made any point whatsoever. You're seriously going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that employers don't care if you speak "AAVE" or if you speak modern English (correction: Standard English; AAVE is also modern English because it is spoken today)? I guaran-****ing-tee you will not get a job if you go in speaking slang.

If you have any actual facts that would contradict the views of the entire working world, by all means, produce it.
Actually, no I'm not going to tell you that which is why I said:

I also haven't contested your assertion that certain dialects (like Standard English) are preferred over other dialects (like AAVE) by many mainstream employers.

Now, do you know what argument I actually made? I stated it quite clearly in Standard English.

Ghetto-speak is not English, it's a fringe subset of English that has no place in the modern working world. To harass somebody for not talking in a fringe subset language is ridiculous and frankly highlights the problem many african americans face with unemployment.
AAVE is a dialect of English just as Southern American English is a dialect of English. To claim otherwise is absurd and it's exceptionally ironic alongside insults made about other people's lack of education. It also confirms the racist base of your criticisms.

Actually, no I'm not going to tell you that which is why I said:

Now, do you know what argument I actually made? I stated it quite clearly in Standard English.

I tell you what, homie. You go into a job interview and talk like you just walked out of the ghetto. Good luck.

Smeagol doesn't talk like that, and nor should he. Slang is not appropriate for important conversations.

AAVE is a dialect of English. To claim otherwise is absurd and it's exceptionally ironic alongside insults made about other people's lack of education.

It's a ****ty subset dialect of English that has no place in the working world. Smeagol is better off without it.

I tell you what, homie. You go into a job interview and talk like you just walked out of the ghetto. Good luck.

Smeagol doesn't talk like that, and nor should he. Slang is not appropriate for important conversations.
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Dialects and accents have a purpose. They tell others about your ethnic/cultural identity, where you live or lived, your education level and your social class. They allow one to speak in code in public. (ie. ¨Yo, 5-0¨ means ¨Police approaching, behave accordingly.¨) They can be a more efficient way to discuss things that are only relevant to people in that community. They provide humor and colorful metaphors. They do influence other dialects and the standard language.

Jargon is related and has many of the same purposes. Jargon is often used to determine the skill level of a worker and are also used to impress potential clients with one´s knowledge level.

If we only had our standard language it would not evolve as needed to meet changing needs. Dialects contribute to the standard language by providing more efficient an/or colorful ways of speaking.

On one side you have dialect as cultural diversity. Of individuals identifying with a sub-group.

On the other side you have dialect being a means to discriminate and creating classes.

I am a black dude and the most common form of racial hassle I get is from other blacks for what is in my opinion is the stupidest reason I can think of. Its mild and nothing that affects my life but I do find it both bizarre, troubling and somewhat offensive. Guess what's the reason. Hint, the following blacks also have this same exact "problem" although I've rarely to never heard them being criticized by blacks for this:

Jesse Jackson, Jr.
Alan Keyes
Lester Holt
Solodad O'Brien
Corey Booker
Oprah Winfrey
Barack Obama
Halle Berry
Bryant and Greg Gumbel
Don Lemon
Eric Holder
Ben Jealous
Deval Patrick
Fredricka Whitfield

Maybe I'm in good company. ??? :lol:

they are famous

get naked in front of white house and you will be more famous:lol:

I am a black dude and the most common form of racial hassle I get is from other blacks for what is in my opinion is the stupidest reason I can think of. Its mild and nothing that affects my life but I do find it both bizarre, troubling and somewhat offensive. Guess what's the reason. Hint, the following blacks also have this same exact "problem" although I've rarely to never heard them being criticized by blacks for this:

Jesse Jackson, Jr.
Alan Keyes
Lester Holt
Solodad O'Brien
Corey Booker
Oprah Winfrey
Barack Obama
Halle Berry
Bryant and Greg Gumbel
Don Lemon
Eric Holder
Ben Jealous
Deval Patrick
Fredricka Whitfield

You're articulate.

Jesse Jackson, Jr.
Alan Keyes
Lester Holt
Solodad O'Brien
Corey Booker
Oprah Winfrey
Barack Obama
Halle Berry
Bryant and Greg Gumbel
Don Lemon
Eric Holder
Ben Jealous
Deval Patrick
Fredricka Whitfield

I have a question for you:

When did being criticized, even unjustly, become a form of persecution?

:lamo I could not use that kind of language and my mother hear me or even know about it.

Kudos to your mother for the guidance and to you for realizing how it has benefited you.

Its funny people think that. Specifically...they think that about American Blacks. ALL of the black folk I knew in England spoke proper English...

All five of them?

Ghetto-speak is not English, it's a fringe subset of English that has no place in the modern working world. To harass somebody for not talking in a fringe subset language is ridiculous and frankly highlights the problem many african americans face with unemployment.

It's an American dialect like any other....Southern, Appalachian, Yonkers, etc, etc.

All five of them?

There's a big black population in Engkand. Post WWII Great Britain started granting independence to its overseas colonies. Many of the people there felt a little insecure leaving the British flag, be it due to economic concerns or political stability. Precident had shown often when a former British Colony gained independence, civil war or other conflict ensued shortly after; India, Nigeria, Iran and maybe some others I'm not thinking about off the top. Many of these colonies were mostly black people and to avoid risking living through a civil war, under a dictator or in a dirt poor third world economy some chose to relocate to the safety of England. There are big black populations today in the UK made up of Jamaicans, Trinidadians, Bahamians, Africans and their children. Notables include singers Mel B aka Scary Spice, Sade (Smooth Operator), Corine Bailey Rae and Leona Lewis.

Last edited:
There's a big black population in Engkand. Post WWII Great Britain started granting independence to its overseas colonies. Many of the people there felt a little insecure leaving the British flag, be it due to economic concerns or political stability. Precident had shown often when a former British Colony gained independence, civil war or other conflict ensued shortly after; India, Nigeria, Iran and maybe some others I'm not thinking about off the top. Many of these colonies were mostly black people and to avoid risking living through a civil war, under a dictator or in a dirt poor third world economy some chose to relocate to the safety of England. There are big black populations today in the UK made up of Jamaicans, Trinidadians, Bahamians, Africans and their children. Notables include singers Mel B aka Scary Spice, Sade (Smooth Operator), Corine Bailey Rae and Leona Lewis.

I was stationed there for two years. The Black population is less than 2%.

I can tell you, however, that it is very good to be black and American in the UK, if you know what I mean.

I have a question for you:

When did being criticized, even unjustly, become a form of persecution?

Good question. When I was a little younger I had a job as a lower level manager. It was interesting position because I had the responsibility of overseeing a staff but without the authority to discipline them because I guess my company figured I was just a kid or something. ??? Anyway, several of my black charges regularly ridiculed and insulted me publicly and one even actively instigated disrespectful treatment from some of the white staff members. It was a highly politically charged culture that I won't get into except to say my bosses had confidence in me to know how to run the business and didn't have to worry about it when they weren't there but were overly concerned about me getting an inflated ego. At an early 20 something guy, I think they were also fearful that I'd offend older but less qualified staff who would have to answer to me and did not appreciate the difficult situation they placed me under.

It was what it was but in addition to my black colleagues problems with me not conforming to the "real black guy" mold, I'm pretty sure there was some One Negro Syndrome motive as well, which is (or was) a common sociological affect on black Americans who believe race will no longer prevents blacks from getting hired but race still limited blacks' ability to get promoted into leadership positions as the name indicates, to just one black person. When one black person has filled that one opportunity the thinking was no matter how qualified, they can never climb the ladder of success until that guy is gone because corporate America had an unwritten policy that blacks are only promoted into leadership to look diverse as long as they can say "look, we're don't discriminate, our VP of whatever is a black guy." Other rank and file blacks often make that guy's life miserable because they see him as standing in the way of their ability to move up.

The recent case was not even a co-worker but somebody I see a lot because she works in my building. The earlier cases I wrote off as jealousy. This time I couldn't see any reason for her to be jealous of me. Nevertheless, its always in the presence of a at least one other black person seemingly intended to publicly shame and ridicule as one who denies one's own heritage. A type of mild non-physical hazing is the best way I can describe it.

Last edited:
Good question. When I was a little younger I had a job as a lower level manager. It was interesting position because I had the responsibility of overseeing a staff but without the authority to discipline them because I guess my company figured I was just a kid or something. ??? Anyway, several of my black charges regularly ridiculed and insulted me publicly and one even actively instigated disrespectful treatment from some of the white staff members. It was a highly politically charged culture that I won't get into except to say my bosses had confidence in me to know how to run the business and didn't have to worry about it when they weren't there but were overly concerned about me getting an inflated ego. At an early 20 something guy, I think they were also fearful that I'd offend older but less qualified staff who would have to answer to me and did not appreciate the difficult situation they placed me under.

It was what it was but in addition to my black colleagues problems with me not conforming to the "real black guy" mold, I'm pretty sure there was some One Negro Syndrome motive as well, which is (or was) a common sociological affect on black Americans who believe race will no longer prevents blacks from getting hired but race still limited blacks' ability to get promoted into leadership positions as the name indicates, to just one black person. When one black person has filled that one opportunity the thinking was no matter how qualified, they can never climb the ladder of success until that guy is gone because corporate America had an unwritten policy that blacks are only promoted into leadership to look diverse as long as they can say "look, we're don't discriminate, our VP of whatever is a black guy." Other rank and file blacks often make that guy's life miserable because they see him as standing in the way of their ability to move up.

The recent case was not even a co-worker but somebody I see a lot because she works in my building. The earlier cases I wrote off as jealousy. This time I couldn't see any reason for her to be jealous of me. Nevertheless, its always in the presence of a at least one other black person seemingly intended to publicly shame and ridicule as one who denies one's own heritage. A type of mild non-physical hazing is the best way I can describe it.

That's an interesting story, but I don't see what it has to do with your claim that you are being persecuted by black people because of the way you speak.

That's an interesting story, but I don't see what it has to do with your claim that you are being persecuted by black people because of the way you speak.

"Talking like a white person" has been their stated basis for the ridicule that causes them to conclude that I think I'm white. The part of the country I live is probably a factor as there tends to be more of a regional dialect as well that also do not share.

I hope no one gets the the impression that this is widespread or anything. As I said earlier, its only a small number of cases but its so crazy to hear and confusing that when it does happen I just don't get it. Hearing the recent criticism also probably opened some old wounds from my earlier work related challenges from years ago as well.

Jesse Jackson, Jr.
Alan Keyes
Lester Holt
Solodad O'Brien
Corey Booker
Oprah Winfrey
Barack Obama
Halle Berry
Bryant and Greg Gumbel
Don Lemon
Eric Holder
Ben Jealous