• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm black and get persucuted by others blacks. Guess why.

You have a small penis? (Hey..dont blame me...I just heard that about Oprah!)
Hmmmm I heard she swings a pretty wide swath...

Maybe that was referring to something else.... :)

Its funny people think that. Specifically...they think that about American Blacks. ALL of the black folk I knew in England spoke proper English...
There are several BBC announcers who do it with an English accent. Kinda cool, actually.

Its funny people think that. Specifically...they think that about American Blacks. ALL of the black folk I knew in England spoke proper English...

Oh I see.
icon_cyclops_ani.gif
A lot of thou's and thy's. Thees and forthwiths and all for one.....isn't that referred to the King's English. :lol:

:2razz:

BINGO! I don't sound distinctively "black" when I talk. This means I think I'm better than other blacks, "you've forgotten you're one of us," I'm not a true black person, I'm an embarrassment to my race, I'm pretending to be white, etc. etc. Its actually funny. Even though I'm in no way saying all or even most black people I know have expressed this criticism, it happens enough that I'm personally mildly put off by it.

But yeah, a lot of black people I know apparently have a problem with blacks who lack a distinctively black sounding accent and I'm in the club due to no fault of my own. I was raised by a school teacher who forbade me to speak in the dialect of the streets in what later became known as Ebonics and I moved around a little growing up, which tends to give some people a more general accent as opposed to having a tendency for a more regional accent such as a Southern Drawl, Mid Western or New England accent. In my case it seems to have also neutralized any distinctive ethnic sound as well.

Interesting, i have never encountered this myself to any real extent, when i was younger (elementary to maybe 20) it came up a few times by a couple people but they were all idiots so i never thought anything of it.

Do you consider the people that bring this up idiots? uneducated, criminals, uncouth etc? or do educated people actually say it to you also?
Guess im just trying to get a feel for who these people are and how old you are, in my adult life this has never come up.

my other question would be what is black accent, i mean thats soooooo wide and so subjective. For example the way i speak around my friends would not be how i talk in the board room or to my grandmother.
But at the same time i wouldnt call many of the things i say "black", i mean some i definitely would consider them but in general i think its more slang/pop culture talk.

I am a black dude and the most common form of racial hassle I get is from other blacks for what is in my opinion is the stupidest reason I can think of. Its mild and nothing that affects my life but I do find it both bizarre, troubling and somewhat offensive. Guess what's the reason. Hint, the following blacks also have this same exact "problem" although I've rarely to never heard them being criticized by blacks for this:

Jesse Jackson, Jr.
Alan Keyes
Lester Holt
Solodad O'Brien
Corey Booker
Oprah Winfrey
Barack Obama
Halle Berry
Bryant and Greg Gumbel
Don Lemon
Eric Holder
Ben Jealous
Deval Patrick
Fredricka Whitfield

Maybe I'm in good company. ??? :lol:
You smear your privates in Marmite and allow squirrels to eat from them?

You like Nascar, country music, and Budweiser?

Not a big fan of any of these but I appreciate the fact that country music stars seem to take their influence on the culture seriously and try to be good role models.

BTW: Reba McIntyre says country music and R&B are essentially twin musical genres. I gave it some attention and agree. If you swap out fiddles and banjos for heavy bass lines and drums, I'd be surprised at how close they are in almost every other respect. Several major hit R&B songs are actually covers on songs where the original was country, most notably Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You.

Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You - YouTube
I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU BY WHITNEY HOUSTON - YouTube

BINGO! I don't sound distinctively "black" when I talk.

I get criticized by my family for having a large vocabulary all the time, and we're Irish blue-collar types. My mother says she feels like I'm talking down to her when I use "big fancy words". I pointed out to her that, by assuming that she knows the words I'm using, I'm actually doing the exact ****ing opposite. If I wanted to talk down to her, I'd use small words. I'd assume she didn't know the big ones. Ultimately, it's her own insecurity that she's projecting on to me by creating artificial motivations for my vocabulary choices. She feels inferior for not knowing the word. She doesn't like feeling like that, so she blames me for her own feelings because, in her mind, I "caused" them. It's the same thing with people who criticize you for speaking how you do. They're insecure about their own speech, and you remind them of their insecurities, so it's "your fault".

Instead of smartening themselves up (which takes self-analysis and effort), they want you to dumb yourself down. I say **** that noise.

BINGO! I don't sound distinctively "black" when I talk. This means I think I'm better than other blacks, "you've forgotten you're one of us," I'm not a true black person, I'm an embarrassment to my race, I'm pretending to be white, etc. etc. Its actually funny. Even though I'm in no way saying all or even most black people I know have expressed this criticism, it happens enough that I'm personally mildly put off by it.

But yeah, a lot of black people I know apparently have a problem with blacks who lack a distinctively black sounding accent and I'm in the club due to no fault of my own. I was raised by a school teacher who forbade me to speak in the dialect of the streets in what later became known as Ebonics and I moved around a little growing up, which tends to give some people a more general accent as opposed to having a tendency for a more regional accent such as a Southern Drawl, Mid Western or New England accent. In my case it seems to have also neutralized any distinctive ethnic sound as well.
I would have to give kudos to the school teacher who raised you.

Question (serious): other than being on the receiving end of what I'd consider racism from those of your own color, do you think learning to speak as you do has been a good thing for you or bad?

Oh I see.
icon_cyclops_ani.gif
A lot of thou's and thy's. Thees and forthwiths and all for one.....isn't that referred to the King's English. :lol:

:2razz:
Apparently this is a problem?

Story of my life (ethnicity aside). Ignore idiots. You've no obligation to diminish yourself, in response to the collective inferiority complex of the insect world. Let 'em burn.

I would have to give kudos to the school teacher who raised you.

Question (serious): other than being on the receiving end of what I'd consider racism from those of your own color, do you think learning to speak as you do has been a good thing for you or bad?

Good. Its been a big part of my professional success, without going into detail. One thing I learned from listening to Rush Limbaugh years ago, actually one of his advertisers, is people judge your intelligence by your oral communications skills.

I get criticized by my family for having a large vocabulary all the time, and we're Irish blue-collar types. My mother says she feels like I'm talking down to her when I use "big fancy words". I pointed out to her that, by assuming that she knows the words I'm using, I'm actually doing the exact ****ing opposite. If I wanted to talk down to her, I'd use small words. I'd assume she didn't know the big ones. Ultimately, it's her own insecurity that she's projecting on to me by creating artificial motivations for my vocabulary choices. She feels inferior for not knowing the word. She doesn't like feeling like that, so she blames me for her own feelings because, in her mind, I "caused" them. It's the same thing with people who criticize you for speaking how you do. They're insecure about their own speech, and you remind them of their insecurities, so it's "your fault".

Instead of smartening themselves up (which takes self-analysis and effort), they want you to dumb yourself down. I say **** that noise.
QFT.

I've a good friend with whom I spent some time during a recent visit and he likes to joke with me "there you go, using words with all those syllables again." And in class, I recently used the word "ubiquitous" and you'd think I'd boxed everyone's ears. It is a little disconcerting though as you say that rather than ask what you mean (or take the time to figure it out themselves), people tend to ridicule you instead - even if they think they're doing it in a friendly way.

I would guess your language and how you present is not "ethnically" appropriate in their minds.

I don't know what in the heck they think because some of America's most influential blacks including the leader of the NAACP don't speak with a so-called black accent.

Good. Its been a big part of my professional success, without going into detail. One thing I learned from listening to Rush Limbaugh years ago, actually one of his advertisers, is people judge your intelligence by your oral communications skills.

Do you think that would apply with speaking other languages? I mean some seem to think that if one knows 3 or 4 languages. That such would be the case.....huh?

I don't know what in the heck they think because some of America's most influential blacks including the leader of the NAACP don't speak with a so-called black accent.

So that was it then?

Good for you! :thumbs: It's actually encouraging to hear that.

And like Tucker was saying, people do indeed judge you intelligent based on how well you communicate. And as both of you have (sadly) seen, some don't appreciate it - selfishly comparing themselves to you and thinking their lack of intelligence is somehow your fault.

And you write white too!!!!! only kidding Smeag ... I hope you don't let a handful of ignorant people get under your skin ...

Do you think that would apply with speaking other languages? I mean some seem to think that if one knows 3 or 4 languages. That such would be the case.....huh?

I would but I wonder if most would. I think its an impressions thing and most people wouldn't be able to understand multiple languages but would be dazzled by someone's use of a language they understand.

And some, like our meshugenah messiah, presume it selfishly advantageous to affect an accent when they think it suits their purpose.

You have to admit that what you received criticism for is one of the reasons you're among the few who would make it past the first cut for many jobs. While some will look only at the statistics and call it a racist hiring strategy, it's judging on character and not skin color as MLK mentioned in his dream speech.

ironic isn't it? ... Rush comes across as an idiot to any well-informed individual when he talks, yet he makes wads of money ... go figure ...

Back
Top Bottom