• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm back

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
And I can see that nobody missed me. LOL.

Big week. Just had a balloon sinoplasty done yesterday. Yup, they put balloons in my sinuses and expanded them, then burned out my sinuses with acid and flushed them with water. Last time I had something similar to this done was 30 years ago, and no more sinus problems until last year. Glad to get it done a second time, but let me stress that there better not be a "third time is a charm". LOL.

Lost phone and internet service a week ago, and AT&T finally fixed the problem today. Great customer service... NOT. I still have internet with them, but I told them to shove their internet phone up their ass. My phones are all mobile now.

Big week. Just had a balloon sinoplasty done yesterday. Yup, they put balloons in my sinuses and expanded them, then burned out my sinuses with acid and flushed them with water. Last time I had something similar to this done was 30 years ago, and no more sinus problems until last year. Glad to get it done a second time, but let me stress that there better not be a "third time is a charm". LOL.

Lost phone and internet service a week ago, and AT&T finally fixed the problem today. Great customer service... NOT. I still have internet with them, but I told them to shove their internet phone up their ass. My phones are all mobile now.

Glad you are feeling better.

I have VOIP with AT&T and I hate it. Our internet, which is also AT&T is spotty at best, and horrible at worst. I hate them, but we are stuck with them. We have had issue with them for 7 years now, and we can't go with anyone else. It's either them, or Hughes Net. :( :(

I had something done to my nose a few years back. Deviated septum or something like it. Made me sound like a coke head. :lol:

She fixed it, and I breathe better, but my sense of smell (and therefore taste) has been a little wonky ever since.

I had something done to my nose a few years back. Deviated septum or something like it. Made me sound like a coke head. :lol:

She fixed it, and I breathe better, but my sense of smell (and therefore taste) has been a little wonky ever since.

Doesn't bother me. I can't smell my farts. LOL.

^^

OP was great, welcome back! Follow-up post was TMI! :2razz:

Glad you are feeling better.

I have VOIP with AT&T and I hate it. Our internet, which is also AT&T is spotty at best, and horrible at worst. I hate them, but we are stuck with them. We have had issue with them for 7 years now, and we can't go with anyone else. It's either them, or Hughes Net. :( :(
Is it DSL or fiber optic?

You were gone?
Sounds like you were in Gitmo.

i have that, and they wanted to roto-rooter my sinuses, as well. scared the **** out of me, so i didn't have it done. i use Afrin all of the time instead. probably not the best decision.

I am glad you only seem to need that treatment every 30 years. It sounds nasty, but effective.

i have that, and they wanted to roto-rooter my sinuses, as well. scared the **** out of me, so i didn't have it done. i use Afrin all of the time instead. probably not the best decision.

Definitely not. :lol: Afrin is highly addictive, and I hate to tell you this, but once you decide to get off of it, you'll have it rough. Your nasal passages will be closed up and you'll struggle to breathe. Won't last forever - the way I understand it, it's just a few days.

Definitely not. :lol: Afrin is highly addictive, and I hate to tell you this, but once you decide to get off of it, you'll have it rough. Your nasal passages will be closed up and you'll struggle to breathe. Won't last forever - the way I understand it, it's just a few days.

i've been off it multiple times since i was a kid; generally after paying an ENT a bunch of money and getting a round of steroids. it lasts about a month, and then everything clogs back up again. i go in and get a Flonase or something that sort of works, and then i get tired of not being able to breathe at night, so i go back to the only thing that has ever worked effectively. this time i think that i'll skip the ENT step and just keep using Afrin. i have an expired scrip of steroids if i ever need it.

i considered getting the surgery, but i don't have the time or money, and i don't want them to break my nose or roto-root it. also, i had concerns that it would affect my voice when i was singing semi-professionally.

i've been off it multiple times since i was a kid; generally after paying an ENT a bunch of money and getting a round of steroids. it lasts about a month, and then everything clogs back up again. i go in and get a Flonase or something that sort of works, and then i get tired of not being able to breathe at night, so i go back to the only thing that has ever worked effectively. this time i think that i'll skip the ENT step and just keep using Afrin. i have an expired scrip of steroids if i ever need it.

i considered getting the surgery, but i don't have the time or money, and i don't want them to break my nose or roto-root it. also, i had concerns that it would affect my voice when i was singing semi-professionally.

It was a scary procedure, I'll admit that. For like 3 days, my nose was clogged with what can only be described as "tiny tampons," and I couldn't breathe at all. Only out of my mouth.

It was a scary procedure, I'll admit that. For like 3 days, my nose was clogged with what can only be described as "tiny tampons," and I couldn't breathe at all. Only out of my mouth.

at least you did it the right way. i hope that it helped.

it helped me breathe better but like I said, there are some days when my sense of smell is a little wonky.

my sense of smell is fairly poor, as well. i can't figure out if it's the decades of Afrin or the fact that i'm usually clogged up to some degree. i've gotten used to it, so i barely notice. however, there are many times when my wife wants me to decide between two scents, and i'm like "well, this one smells like soap, and this one doesn't smell like anything."

Has to be DSL because it's definitely not fiber optic.
I wonder if they have Broadband over Power Line in your area.

I know AT&T is using it in Georgia, so you might look into it. OTOH, you should go here if you haven't already and see what other options there might be. If you get stuck ask your cable provider if they offer satellite internet, which would be several notches above AT&T and Hughes Net.

Believe me, anything is better than AT&T DSL.

So for a few days you were a mouthbreather? :lol:

Get ya' a MAGA hat!

I wonder if they have Broadband over Power Line in your area.

I know AT&T is using it in Georgia, so you might look into it. OTOH, you should go here if you haven't already and see what other options there might be. If you get stuck ask your cable provider if they offer satellite internet, which would be several notches above AT&T and Hughes Net.

Believe me, anything is better than AT&T DSL.

I think if they did, they would have offered it to me. I have had probably 100 techs in my home trying to find out why my DSL is so ****ty, but no one can tell me why. I had Uverse TV when I first got here - switched over to that from DirecTV. Had 48 techs in here in the first 14 months trying to figure out why my signal was ****. I used to have a large DLP television. They told me it was a bad TV. We got another TV (same kind) and still had problems. The same tech came in and said, "I TOLD YOU it was your TV." We told him it was a new TV and he didn't know what to say. We told them that we had DirecTV for 8 years at that time, and had never had any trouble. The last tech said, "Then go back to DirecTV because there's nothing else we can do." I went back to DirecTV and had no TV problems since, with the exception of issues with our internet (TV on demand, etc).

I went to your link. It gave me only AT&T and Comcast. Comcast will not come in here because AT&T has a contract inside our neighborhood and nobody else is allowed in.

Welcome back. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Get off the Afrin.
Afrin contains oxymetazoline hydrochloride, which can cause a bounce-back effect where you start needing the spray more and more as it loses its effectiveness and causes even more swelling of the tissues.

My recommendation, as a sufferer who "lives on nasal sprays" to the point where I have to always have a tiny spray bottle in my pocket, is to switch to a spray that contains phenylephrine hydrochloride instead. No bounce-back effect.

The most common or "well known" brand is 4Way, but a lot of drug stores carry their own generic version that contains the same active ingredient at a much lower price.
Walgreens and Rite-Aid carry a generic that simply says "Nose Spray" and it's in a light blue paper box but look for phenylephrine hydrochloride as the active ingredient instead of oxymetazoline hydrochloride.

If you switch to phenylephrine hydrochloride based sprays and use a nasal irrigation system like Navage on a daily basis, you'll find that you only need to use the spray when you encounter a situation where your sinuses slam shut instead of having to use it all day long.

That's why I have to carry the stuff. I might go one or even two days without using it but when I need it, I desperately need it right then and there, because the pressure becomes very intense and I have a lot of discomfort.

My very first sinus operation put me on easy street for about two years but the tissues have apparently grown back again, so this time I am hoping to get the balloon procedure instead.

--When I had the sinus surgery it actually improved my voice significantly.

Get off the Afrin.
Afrin contains oxymetazoline hydrochloride, which can cause a bounce-back effect where you start needing the spray more and more as it loses its effectiveness and causes even more swelling of the tissues.

My recommendation, as a sufferer who "lives on nasal sprays" to the point where I have to always have a tiny spray bottle in my pocket, is to switch to a spray that contains phenylephrine hydrochloride instead. No bounce-back effect.

The most common or "well known" brand is 4Way, but a lot of drug stores carry their own generic version that contains the same active ingredient at a much lower price.
Walgreens and Rite-Aid carry a generic that simply says "Nose Spray" and it's in a light blue paper box but look for phenylephrine hydrochloride as the active ingredient instead of oxymetazoline hydrochloride.

If you switch to phenylephrine hydrochloride based sprays and use a nasal irrigation system like Navage on a daily basis, you'll find that you only need to use the spray when you encounter a situation where your sinuses slam shut instead of having to use it all day long.

That's why I have to carry the stuff. I might go one or even two days without using it but when I need it, I desperately need it right then and there, because the pressure becomes very intense and I have a lot of discomfort.

My very first sinus operation put me on easy street for about two years but the tissues have apparently grown back again, so this time I am hoping to get the balloon procedure instead.

i tried 4-Way about a decade ago. i found that i was using even more of that stuff than i was using Afrin. i haven't done the irrigation strategy before, though, and that's something that i might try eventually. i have started taking Benadryl again, and that has helped a bit. many people in my area have some pretty serious allergies, so i'm beginning to think that there might be something in the environment that is causing it. part of mine is physical, though. the breathing passage in my right nostril is very small, and i have a deviated septum. nasal issues were a real struggle when i was singing every weekend. i just took whatever i needed to take to make it work.

Back
Top Bottom