• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm back

I think if they did, they would have offered it to me.
:lol:

AT&T customer service is among the worst in the industry, and they often just want you off the phone ASAP, so don't think that's necessarily so, or that they're even aware of it themselves, Just ask.

I have had probably 100 techs in my home trying to find out why my DSL is so ****ty, but no one can tell me why. I had Uverse TV when I first got here - switched over to that from DirecTV. Had 48 techs in here in the first 14 months trying to figure out why my signal was ****. I used to have a large DLP television. They told me it was a bad TV. We got another TV (same kind) and still had problems. The same tech came in and said, "I TOLD YOU it was your TV." We told him it was a new TV and he didn't know what to say. We told them that we had DirecTV for 8 years at that time, and had never had any trouble. The last tech said, "Then go back to DirecTV because there's nothing else we can do." I went back to DirecTV and had no TV problems since, with the exception of issues with our internet (TV on demand, etc).
Sounds like the phone lines are garbage and/or old and not capable of running the bandwidth they promise, so they're blaming your ****ing TV, so they don't have to open a can of worms.

I'd call the local Georgia AT&T headquarters and raise hell, tell them how unhelpful the tech has been, and make it clear to them that this problem is still not resolved. Knowing you're local and if you're enough of a PITA, they will schedule a crew to come over and do their god damn job already.

Sorry to say, this is the IT industry and how things get resolved.

I went to your link. It gave me only AT&T and Comcast. Comcast will not come in here because AT&T has a contract inside our neighborhood and nobody else is allowed in.
Comcast would be using the same mediums as AT&T, so that wouldn't solve your problem anyways.

Get your bill out and figure out what your plan and promised bandwidth is, then go do an internet speed test here, so you know how badly the underperformance is and if they're bull****ting you about that.

A lot of AT&T lines are older than Mitch McConnell and it's a problem around the country.

Last edited:
i tried 4-Way about a decade ago. i found that i was using even more of that stuff than i was using Afrin. i haven't done the irrigation strategy before, though, and that's something that i might try eventually. i have started taking Benadryl again, and that has helped a bit. many people in my area have some pretty serious allergies, so i'm beginning to think that there might be something in the environment that is causing it. part of mine is physical, though. the breathing passage in my right nostril is very small, and i have a deviated septum. nasal issues were a real struggle when i was singing every weekend. i just took whatever i needed to take to make it work.

It's a bit tricky learning how to use the Navage but once you get the hang of it, it's great.

--When I had the sinus surgery it actually improved my voice significantly.

that was my hope when i was considering it. constant post nasal drip over the vocal cords can really take a toll on your vocal cords on any given day.

Comcast would be using the same mediums as AT&T, so that wouldn't solve your problem anyways.

Get your bill out and figure out what your plan and promised bandwidth is, then go do an internet speed test here, so you know how badly the underperformance is and if they're bull****ting you about that.

A lot of AT&T lines are older than Mitch McConnell and it's a problem around the country.

There are other solutions but it requires a fair bit of commitment and involvement.
Orcas Island had the worst internet imaginable for a long time until one guy decided he'd had enough.
So, together with enough neighbors, he decided to it was time to create their own Orcas Island internet service.

dbiua-satellite-view.png

AT&T customer service is among the worst in the industry, and they often just want you off the phone ASAP, so don't think that's necessarily so, or that they're even aware of it themselves, Just ask.

Sounds like the phone lines are garbage and/or old and not capable of running the bandwidth they promise, so they're blaming your ****ing TV, so they don't have to open a can of worms.

I'd call the local Georgia AT&T headquarters and raise hell, tell them how unhelpful the tech has been, and make it clear to them that this problem is still not resolved. Knowing you're local and if you're enough of a PITA, they will schedule a crew to come over and do their god damn job already.

Define old. Our lines are at least 10 years old - maybe older - our subdivision was started by a gentleman who ended up going bankrupt, so the empty subdivision sat here for who knows how long. He had curbs, a big gate and a handful of street lights, and nothing else. When our builder bought it, everything was already here. The power lines and phone lines are buried. Comcast offered to come in and run new lines, but our HOA president, who couldn't find her ass with a map and both hands, told the neighborhood that they would come in here and dig a 2 foot trench in our yard and not rebury the lines. She scared everybody into voting against new lines and better, cheaper, faster internet. Now no one will even consider it, because the HOA president planted that seed of doubt.

These ****ing people in this community won't budge on anything. We have a natural gas line running right alongside our neighborhood on the highway, and it wouldn't be that costly to run the lines in here, so we could have natural gas, but no one is interested. So if I get that gas stove, gas fireplace that I want, I'll have to get this big ass, ugly propane tank in my back yard. So angry at these rubes.

Define old. Our lines are at least 10 years old - maybe older - our subdivision was started by a gentleman who ended up going bankrupt, so the empty subdivision sat here for who knows how long. He had curbs, a big gate and a handful of street lights, and nothing else. When our builder bought it, everything was already here. The power lines and phone lines are buried. Comcast offered to come in and run new lines, but our HOA president, who couldn't find her ass with a map and both hands, told the neighborhood that they would come in here and dig a 2 foot trench in our yard and not rebury the lines. She scared everybody into voting against new lines and better, cheaper, faster internet. Now no one will even consider it, because the HOA president planted that seed of doubt.

These ****ing people in this community won't budge on anything. We have a natural gas line running right alongside our neighborhood on the highway, and it wouldn't be that costly to run the lines in here, so we could have natural gas, but no one is interested. So if I get that gas stove, gas fireplace that I want, I'll have to get this big ass, ugly propane tank in my back yard. So angry at these rubes.
One thing you might look into is whether your lines are properly filtered at the wall jacks, as that can cause serious problems in older homes.

I don't know whether you notice, but does your modem light for the internet blink from time to time? That's a sign of an unstable connection.

One thing you might look into is whether your lines are properly filtered at the wall jacks, as that can cause serious problems in older homes.

I don't know whether you notice, but does your modem light for the internet blink from time to time? That's a sign of an unstable connection.

It's a brand new house, though. We had it built in 2012.

We have had 3 different supervisors from our district at AT&T come out, with the area managers and the techs, trying to figure out what is going on in our house. This has been going on - no **** - for 7 years. Ever since we closed on the house.

No one knows what's going on.

I'm sure it's because my house is haunted.

I'm sure of it.

Either that or my builder did something to get back at me because we had arguments during the build.

:D

It's a brand new house, though. We had it built in 2012.

We have had 3 different supervisors from our district at AT&T come out, with the area managers and the techs, trying to figure out what is going on in our house. This has been going on - no **** - for 7 years. Ever since we closed on the house.

No one knows what's going on.

I'm sure it's because my house is haunted.

I'm sure of it.

Either that or my builder did something to get back at me because we had arguments during the build.

:D

****ing idiots.

Go do an internet speed test without changing anything and see what you get. After that, go unplug all your phones and the phones lines running to them at the wall jacks, but keep the line going to your computer plugged in, then go run the speed test another time, and see if the speed improves.

If the speed improves then something within your house is causing interference with the lines.

Worth a shot.

Go do an internet speed test without changing anything and see what you get. After that, go unplug all your phones and the phones lines running to them at the wall jacks, but keep the line going to your computer plugged in, then go run the speed test another time, and see if the speed improves.

If the speed improves then something within your house is causing interference with the lines.

Worth a shot.

We've done that. We have a ton of things connected to our wifi. 4 smart TVs, 3 laptops, 4 iPads, kindles, iPhones, doorbell cameras, etc, etc. We probably have about 25 or so active "pulls" on our wifi at any given time. And it's usually not so much the speed - it's that we just keep losing service. Randomly. I'll be in here in the office on the desktop, goofing off at 1 in the morning, and all of a sudden, our internet shuts off.

If you search back, you'll see I've made posts about our power, as well. We pay double to triple what everybody else pays here. We have had 2 reps from Georgia Power out here to do an audit. They can't find anything wrong. We have had 2 independent electricians out here checking to see what's causing the issue. They can't find anything, either. Yet the audit did show that around 1 to 2 am, our power spikes for no apparent reason.

Ghosts, I'm telling you. Bastards.

We've done that. We have a ton of things connected to our wifi. 4 smart TVs, 3 laptops, 4 iPads, kindles, iPhones, doorbell cameras, etc, etc. We probably have about 25 or so active "pulls" on our wifi at any given time. And it's usually not so much the speed - it's that we just keep losing service. Randomly. I'll be in here in the office on the desktop, goofing off at 1 in the morning, and all of a sudden, our internet shuts off.

If you search back, you'll see I've made posts about our power, as well. We pay double to triple what everybody else pays here. We have had 2 reps from Georgia Power out here to do an audit. They can't find anything wrong. We have had 2 independent electricians out here checking to see what's causing the issue. They can't find anything, either. Yet the audit did show that around 1 to 2 am, our power spikes for no apparent reason.

Ghosts, I'm telling you. Bastards.
Are you just losing it at random and then recovering it as fast as you lose it? If so, I'd say there's almost certainly an interference with your signal.

Seriously, where does AT&T find these ****ing idiots?

Are you just losing it at random and then recovering it as fast as you lose it? If so, I'd say there's almost certainly an interference with your signal.

Seriously, where does AT&T find these ****ing idiots?

The GOP National Convention?

And yes, it just randomly cuts off, and then cuts back on. Sometimes, it's down for hours and hours.

If I had 4 hands and 4 feet, I could count on my hands and feet how many times they've changed out my modem.

The GOP National Convention?

And yes, it just randomly cuts off, and then cuts back on. Sometimes, it's down for hours and hours.

If I had 4 hands and 4 feet, I could count on my hands and feet how many times they've changed out my modem.
Is it mainly at night?

Has to be DSL because it's definitely not fiber optic.

I am sure the population density is such in your area that it doesn't make fiber opitic cost effective to put in.

It sounds like 2/3rds your problem is your HOA.

Me, I have cable.. it used to be roadrunner, and now it's spectrum. When it became spectrum , there started to be an increase in outages.. but in general, it's been very stable. The times I get an outage, I can't get the VPN to log onto work,.. but I can use my phone to get a hotspot for my computer. I can't connect up to work, but at least I got the internet to report the outage :p

Last edited:
I am sure the population density is such in your area that it doesn't make fiber opitic cost effective to put in.

They are bringing it here - just not out in the 'burbs yet. That's what AT&T told me, anyway.

*insert incredulous laugh here*

It sounds like 2/3rds your problem is your HOA.

Me, I have cable.. it used to be roadrunner, and now it's spectrum. When it became spectrum , there started to be an increase in outages.. but in general, it's been very stable. The times I get an outage, I can't get the VPN to log onto work,.. but I can use my phone to get a hotspot for my computer. I can't connect up to work, but at least I got the internet to report the outage :p

Oh yes, I totally believe a large part of the problem is my HOA, but unfortunately, that doesn't fix my outage problem.

I can't count the times I've had to use my phone as a hotspot when our internet would go down.

And I can see that nobody missed me. LOL.

Big week. Just had a balloon sinoplasty done yesterday. Yup, they put balloons in my sinuses and expanded them, then burned out my sinuses with acid and flushed them with water. Last time I had something similar to this done was 30 years ago, and no more sinus problems until last year. Glad to get it done a second time, but let me stress that there better not be a "third time is a charm". LOL.

Lost phone and internet service a week ago, and AT&T finally fixed the problem today. Great customer service... NOT. I still have internet with them, but I told them to shove their internet phone up their ass. My phones are all mobile now.

:kissy: Just saw this. Hope the procedure makes you feel much better! As for AT&T, you have my sympathy and condolences.

Yes. Almost as a rule. Probably 98% of the time.
I thought so.

Only two possibilities.

1. There is something coming on at night that is causing electromagnetic interference (EMI) with your DSL signal, no doubt about it at all. One of the major culprits are street lamps, since they only come on at night and shut off in the early morning.

2. Internet peak hours are around that time, so when everyone in your neighborhood is using the network it can slow the network to a crawl.

But if your modem light for the DSL signal is red, then that's a complete signal loss, and indicative of an EMI problem, together with the other factors. Again, I'd bet green money on the street lamps doing this. I'm surprised this isn't a bigger thing on the internet, but it's actually a problem that is rampant across the nation with DSL signals.

I'd say call AT&T and demand that a tech diagnose the problem during the hours it happens.

Level 1 techs are what you're bound to deal with on the phone, and those are people that tend to know very little about networking issues beyond the basics, so (and be polite) say "I appreciate your help, but I think this is an issue beyond your expertise, could you please refer me to a tech that is familiar with EMI related issues?" and see what you can get from there.

If they still can't fix the problem, I'd ask for somebody in billing that will negotiate your bill with you.

And I'd watch like a hawk for what are called rural broadband providers coming into your area. These are providers that carry their signals via antenna or through utility lines, and it's far faster than god damn DSL.

Check here and even if you don't see one currently listed, contact them if they're in your area of Georgia, and see if you can a few neighbors to do that, too. That will entice these companies who are always looking to run AT&T out of town to put their feet in the water. I do know that out in Georgia rural broadband is moving in across the state, so it's a matter of a year or two before I think you'll have the service available - though it helps to give the ISP's thinking about a hint.

i have that, and they wanted to roto-rooter my sinuses, as well. scared the **** out of me, so i didn't have it done. i use Afrin all of the time instead. probably not the best decision.

I had a septoplasmy ( sp? ) surgery about 20 years ago. Most painful experience ever including getting broadsided by a freight train. Did nothing to help the chronic sinus issues, but significantly affected my ability to smell and taste.

I thought so.

Only two possibilities.

1. There is something coming on at night that is causing electromagnetic interference (EMI) with your DSL signal, no doubt about it at all. One of the major culprits are street lamps, since they only come on at night and shut off in the early morning.

2. Internet peak hours are around that time, so when everyone in your neighborhood is using the network it can slow the network to a crawl.

But if your modem light for the DSL signal is red, then that's a complete signal loss, and indicative of an EMI problem, together with the other factors. Again, I'd bet green money on the street lamps doing this. I'm surprised this isn't a bigger thing on the internet, but it's actually a problem that is rampant across the nation with DSL signals.

I'd say call AT&T and demand that a tech diagnose the problem during the hours it happens.

Level 1 techs are what you're bound to deal with on the phone, and those are people that tend to know very little about networking issues beyond the basics, so (and be polite) say "I appreciate your help, but I think this is an issue beyond your expertise, could you please refer me to a tech that is familiar with EMI related issues?" and see what you can get from there.

If they still can't fix the problem, I'd ask for somebody in billing that will negotiate your bill with you.

And I'd watch like a hawk for what are called rural broadband providers coming into your area. These are providers that carry their signals via antenna or through utility lines, and it's far faster than DSL.

Check here and even if you don't see one currently listed, contact them if they're in your area of Georgia, and see if you can a few neighbors to do that, too. That will entice these companies who are always looking to run AT&T out of town to put their feet in the water. I do know that out in Georgia rural broadband is moving in across the state, so it's a matter of a year or two before I think you'll have the service available - though it helps to give the ISP's thinking about a hint.

Will keep that in mind. I looked, and only saw one company, and they only offered a max of 25 Mbps download speed. That's not much better than dial-up speed.

Thanks for your help on this - interesting take on the streetlights.

And I can see that nobody missed me. LOL.

Big week. Just had a balloon sinoplasty done yesterday. Yup, they put balloons in my sinuses and expanded them, then burned out my sinuses with acid and flushed them with water. Last time I had something similar to this done was 30 years ago, and no more sinus problems until last year. Glad to get it done a second time, but let me stress that there better not be a "third time is a charm". LOL.

Lost phone and internet service a week ago, and AT&T finally fixed the problem today. Great customer service... NOT. I still have internet with them, but I told them to shove their internet phone up their ass. My phones are all mobile now.

Welcome back, D! :kissy:

Will keep that in mind. I looked, and only saw one company, and they only offered a max of 25 Mbps download speed. That's not much better than dial-up speed.

Thanks for your help on this - interesting take on the streetlights.
Some of the information can be dated, so you might call around and ask if other plans with faster speeds are available - might be a little pricey though.

But just keep those words in your mind: rural broadband.

Further, do an internet speed test to see if you truly are getting the bandwidth your plan is supposed to provide, and then you'll have better idea of what deal is better.

giphy.gif

And I'd bet my left nut that the street lights are behind this, as I've seen it many times.

Last edited:
Some of the information can be dated, so you might call around and ask if other plans with faster speeds are available - might be a little pricey though.

But just keep those words in your mind: rural broadband.

Further, do an internet speed test to see if you truly are getting the bandwidth you plan is supposed to provide, and they you'll have better idea of what deal is better.

giphy.gif

And I'd bet my left nut that the street lights are behind this, as I've seen it many times.

And if it's the street lights, what would happen? What would resolve the situation? Because the neighbors in this community wouldn't pick up a piece of paper on my lawn if they were walking right by it.

And if it's the street lights, what would happen? What would resolve the situation? Because the neighbors in this community wouldn't pick up a piece of paper on my lawn if they were walking right by it.
Cheap lines, damaged lines, open filters, or even no filters at all.

But, I'd guess there is a street light somewhere in your neighborhood that is attached to a telephone pole, and the ballast (which regulates the voltage) is malfunctioning, and the voltage is all over the place, causing interference that is noisy in the high frequency spectrum, where DSL signals also reside, and it just drowns out the internet completely.

They need someone that will expect the entire area for this problem.

Back
Top Bottom