• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm appalled. Policeman discriminated against.

Regicollis, I don't know the details but supposedly theres been some tensions between the anarchists and the police in Portland recently. The article on infoshop seems to be claiming that the officer was there to intimidate and/or to provoke.

Any extension or proxy function of the government will often get the eye or the boot. . . nothing new. It's crappy, but it's nothing new.

It's kind of sad to see how our own Constitution and regulations are used against us at times.

Hope the cop sues and everybody boycotts
Despicable

Hope the cop sues and everybody boycotts
Despicable

I hope the police eventually find out *why* this guy didn't want them there - illegal drug ring? Coyote? Something that made him nervous. Maybe it's his past and he's one of those people who associate good people with bad things and bad things with good people.

I'm calling out my own on this and it illustrates a point I was making in another thread on Rand Paul and his statements regarding The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the rights of private businesses not to serve patrons based on the owners' prejudices.

While the officer was not discriminated against for the color of his skin, but for the what his clothing represents, it's still discrimination.

Red & Black cafe shows Portland officer the door, won't sell him coffee again | OregonLive.com

There is a back story here. There have been several questionable police shootings in the last couple years in Portland and that's what the owner had in mind when this incident occurred. I call BS. There is little difference between discriminating over those incidents thereby coloring all police officers as dangerous, and discriminating because one's errant bigoted veiw of non-whites.

This exactly illustrates the point I was making in the other thread. If it's ok for a business owner to discriminate on the basis of race, then it's ok for the owner of the coffee shop to discriminate based on the officer's uniform. Yes, he could come back any other time, not in uniform, but why should be forced to do that in order to be served? (Yes, I realize he got the coffee before being asked to leave, but he is clearly not welcome to return in uniform.)

Being a policeman is not a race and it's not an apples to apples comparison, but it's offensive none-the-less. Discrimination always is.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit and I abhor what Rand Paul has said, and I would be horrified for a business in my community to refuse service on the basis of race. That being said, does this idiotic behavior need to be covered by law? I know that I would never again go to a business that discriminated against someone. Hopefully the business would soon close due to lack of business from decent people. Maybe having discrimination illegal lets these bigots hide when they should have a big sign on their door that lets everyone know they are bigots.

Back
Top Bottom