• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm a Felon.

Kal'Stang

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
*Waves to the crowd*

Hello. My name is Kal'Stang. I am a Felon. 2 Counts of 2nd Degree Burglary of a store when it was closed. No weapons was used or at any time held. If some one had been there no crime would have been committed as I am not a violent person. I did not contest my conviction. IE: I plead guilty. No plea deal was offered. I spent 3 months in the County Jail with 1 year probation and restitution to be paid. I had 2 accomplices. The Restitution was to be paid between the 3 of us. Restitution total was $1300.00. (including court costs) By the time that I had paid $1000.00 of the restitution my accomplices combined had paid $100.00.

It has been 20 years since my conviction. I have broken no laws since then. I am no threat to society or even one person. I have fully paid my dues and then some.

(The above may or may not be true. Some will believe that it is, some won't. Don't care either way. It is posed to give an example for this debate.)

Why can't I own a gun for not only my self defense but also my families defense. None of which have ever committed any crime...much less a felony one.

I support the reinstatement of the fundamental human right of self defense.

A good friend of mine had much a similar experience though the felony was greater and he did hard time. He is a changed man. He is a community leader and a hell of fine human being. The Governor of Arizona (at the time) exonerated him and restored his full rights with the right to own and carry guns. I've seen the actual exoneration. It is possible.

I would add to the above that my friend is African-American. I think the fact that he was exonerated in Arizona is significant.

Your civil rights could have been restored long ago, guess you are either ignorant of this fact or just lazy?

*Waves to the crowd*

Hello. My name is Kal'Stang. I am a Felon. 2 Counts of 2nd Degree Burglary of a store when it was closed. No weapons was used or at any time held. If some one had been there no crime would have been committed as I am not a violent person. I did not contest my conviction. IE: I plead guilty. No plea deal was offered. I spent 3 months in the County Jail with 1 year probation and restitution to be paid. I had 2 accomplices. The Restitution was to be paid between the 3 of us. Restitution total was $1300.00. (including court costs) By the time that I had paid $1000.00 of the restitution my accomplices combined had paid $100.00.

It has been 20 years since my conviction. I have broken no laws since then. I am no threat to society or even one person. I have fully paid my dues and then some.

(The above may or may not be true. Some will believe that it is, some won't. Don't care either way. It is posed to give an example for this debate.)

Why can't I own a gun for not only my self defense but also my families defense. None of which have ever committed any crime...much less a felony one.

I think only those who have been convicted of violent felonies should have their rights suspended, possibly with a review for reversal of that decision in the future if they can prove they have turned things around and they are productive citizens in their community.

A good friend of mine had much a similar experience though the felony was greater and he did hard time. He is a changed man. He is a community leader and a hell of fine human being. The Governor of Arizona (at the time) exonerated him and restored his full rights with the right to own and carry guns. I've seen the actual exoneration. It is possible.

Gosh, I'll bet it's one hell of a process though.

Your civil rights could have been restored long ago, guess you are either ignorant of this fact or just lazy?

Or just broke? You need at least 2-3 seperate court hearings to have that done depending on where you live (one for expungement and one for sealing and where applicable one for restoration of rights). In all instances it costs money that is not available to someone who lives paycheck to paycheck.

Or just broke? You need at least 2-3 seperate court hearings to have that done depending on where you live (one for expungement and one for sealing and where applicable one for restoration of rights). In all instances it costs money that is not available to someone who lives paycheck to paycheck.
oh ok that is very true, but the option is there. Hell they should give em back for free for your 20 years of clean livin' eh?
I mean sheet it's just some stupid paper work right?

Gosh, I'll bet it's one hell of a process though.

I think it was. I didn't know him then. This guy is no slacker. I met him on a state committee. We were both appointed by the governor. That committee, I later discovered, was one of many committees and boards on which he serves. I'm proud to know him.

Another fine example of a person who committed a felony in his past and is a fine member of society now.

*Waves to the crowd*

I could completely support a nonviolent felon NOT losing his right to own guns. It's just another all-inclusive blanket used to deprive citizens of their Constitutional rights, in my opinion.

Felonious convicts don't get to keep guns. Suck it up. They should of thought about that when committing the felony.

It's like an ex-junkie with A.I.D.S. whining because he's been sober for 10 years and his fatal illness is unjust.

It's not like I don't sympathize but you can't get toothpaste back into the tube. Them's the breaks. :shrug:

one thing to consider... a person doesn't have to be a felon to have his 2nd amendment rights violated by the government...certain misdemeanor convictions will do the trick too.

*Waves to the crowd*

In my state you could, just as long as you availed yourself of the process to be reinstated. The feds don't recognize reinstatements though, so you would just have to steer clear of them/federal property.

Felonious convicts don't get to keep guns. Suck it up. They should of thought about that when committing the felony.

It's like an ex-junkie with A.I.D.S. whining because he's been sober for 10 years and his fatal illness is unjust.

It's not like I don't sympathize but you can't get toothpaste back into the tube. Them's the breaks. :shrug:

this is where me an "law and order" conservatives don't see eye to eye.

I don't believe every felony should carry lifetime punishments... and they do.

Why should the government be able to take away a right if the crime had nothing to do with violence? I think a lot of people probably lose rights undeservedly.

Another fine example of a person who committed a felony in his past and is a fine member of society now.

what?.. impossible!...those people do not exist!

once a felon , always a felon.....he's obviously just taking a break in between his crimes.

Because you committed a felony

So? Having a felony alone is not enough to deprive one of their rights.

We already know what the law says. Now explain why the law depriving a person their right to own a gun for self defense of self and family should apply to me based on my felony conviction in the OP. A felony is meaningless in and of itself. Context is what matters.

Why should the government be able to take away a right if the crime had nothing to do with violence? I think a lot of people probably lose rights undeservedly.

Breaking into a property is inherently violent, and threatens the safety of others

I do too. But it has long been accept in our society that felons loose their right to bear arms. I think it is a good law. Not that the law would deter most felons, just saying it's a good law we should keep.

We're not talking about biology or toothpaste here. We're talking about the law and felonies and a persons Right to own a gun for self defense of self and family. You're comparisons do not come close to be equal.

Breaking into a property is inherently violent, and threatens the safety of others

If the person has a weapon, I would agree. Otherwise, if unarmed, I don't agree. That is why the law treats unarmed and armed robberies differently to begin with. One has the intent to steal, the other has the intent to steal and use violence if necessary to accomplish that goal.

Back
Top Bottom