• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm a Felon.

Why? Self defense of ones life and ones family is a fundamental Right. If an "appeal" must be "made" then it should be free since we are talking about a Fundamental Right. Other wise you will have someone that cannot afford it and they will be denied their Rights simply because they are not rich enough.

So do you believe that right also be restored to your two accomplices who blew off paying restitution?

Well if somebody killed someone with a gun, I don't think that person should have his/her rights restored as far as the 2nd amendment is concerned. Granted someone who committed a robbery with a gun but didn't harm anyone in the process might and could turn over a new leaf, but I don't know if that's a chance I'd like to take by restoring the right.

So if the felony was a gun felony to begin with, then I would have to go with no, but in the case in your OP there was no gun involved in the crime, so this person should not lose the right IMO.

I believe that even this has exceptions. For example: Involuntary manslaughter via a gun. IE: accidental shooting through negligence. Unless that person is totally incapable of learning I would imagine they would change enough to never let such a thing happen again.

I would agree with you however on Murder 1 charges. But then I also think those particular people shouldn't be let out of prison period.

It would be too much of a burden for the felon to go down to the government building and attend a hearing.

It is NOT a burden for non felons to have go down the government building to obtain the right(ID)to vote.

You are a felon, have no money to attend a hearing, but need a gun..........

denied_RONALDMATTERS.jpg

Are you kidding? It probably costs tons of money in lawyer's fees. MOST people are not well versed enough in such complicated matters and need to hire a lawyer. A court appointed lawyer is more than likely NOT an option in this case.

Why? Self defense of ones life and ones family is a fundemental Right.

If an "appeal" must be "made" then it should be free since we are talking about a Fundemental Right. Other wise you will have someone that cannot afford it and they will be denied their Rights simply because they are not rich enough.

It is a fundamental right to protect our families as you say. A good place to start defending them is to at least make an honest attempt to keep guns out of the hands of felons. Felons lose their right to gun defense when they are convicted of a felony. Their rights end, where my rights as a law abiding citizen, begins. It's a good law and it should be enforced vigorously.

This here is another problem. (which honestly I had forgotten) Even if you get your Rights restored in a State does not mean that you can buy a gun with Federal Background checks.

Not sure what you you are talking about. Once you get restored in my state, you send the Court Order to the State Police who run the database, and they remove you from the database :shrug:

So should that right also be restored to your two accomplices?

:confused: Why ask this question? I'm not self centered enough nor so hypocritical enough that I would deny them the same thing. I am not arguing just on my behalf here. But for all felons in the same type of situation.

It would be too much of a burden for the felon to go down to the government building and attend a hearing.

It is NOT a burden for non felons to have go down the government building to obtain the right(ID)to vote.

You are a felon, have no money to attend a hearing, but need a gun..........

denied_RONALDMATTERS.jpg

If you can't afford the $100 or so to get yourself restored, then you can't afford the gun and ammo :2wave:

:confused: Why ask this question? I'm not self centered enough nor so hypocritical enough that I would deny them the same thing. I am not arguing just on my behalf here. But for all felons in the same type of situation.

Because the fundamental difference between you and them is your status on this forum. They are complete strangers who might have been total dirtbags for years without getting caught.

One might be inclined to say Restore your rights, but when others are considered in the equation, as well as all the other unknowns in the same situation, one would be more inclined to say NO.

That is why the question was asked.

Rather than automatically arm all ex felons, why not have the court look at each individually as the process now does, just as you are being looked at uniquely by the favorable responses on this forum.

Last edited:
So you think if someone breaks and enters unarmed, that person should lose his right to bear arms for the rest of his life? I don't think so because the two are not in any way connected to one another.

I absolutely do. Anyone with such bad judgement should never be let near a gun. Do the crime, pay the penalty. Penalty is no gun for a felon. Tough love.

You're comparing AIDS to gun rights? You didn't even attempt to explain WHY it has to be this way. There's no reason non-violent felons need to have their rights permanently revoked.

Perhaps a bad comparison. The point I was trying to make is that we are all responsible for our actions. And for every action there is a reaction. Commit a felony, lose your right to bear arms. Doesn't get much simpler than that really. If someone values their gun rights that much, they should avoid committing felony's. I have no sympathy for felonious convicts when it comes to their "gun rights." Too late to worry about that now.

I absolutely do. Anyone with such bad judgement should never be let near a gun. Do the crime, pay the penalty. Penalty is no gun for a felon. Tough love.

Well then we'll have to disagree, because I don't think the government should have that power, then the punishment has absolutely nothing to do with the crime.

Felonious convicts don't get to keep guns. Suck it up. They should of thought about that when committing the felony.

It's like an ex-junkie with A.I.D.S. whining because he's been sober for 10 years and his fatal illness is unjust.

It's not like I don't sympathize but you can't get toothpaste back into the tube. Them's the breaks. :shrug:

Because you committed a felony

Should he be allowed to vote?

If you can't afford the $100 or so to get yourself restored, then you can't afford the gun and ammo :2wave:

Try $2,000-$8000. It can cost that much to get OP's records just expunged. That does not include sealed and, if required, rights restored process.

*Waves to the crowd*

Hello. My name is Kal'Stang. I am a Felon. 2 Counts of 2nd Degree Burglary of a store when it was closed. No weapons was used or at any time held. If some one had been there no crime would have been committed as I am not a violent person. I did not contest my conviction. IE: I plead guilty. No plea deal was offered. I spent 3 months in the County Jail with 1 year probation and restitution to be paid. I had 2 accomplices. The Restitution was to be paid between the 3 of us. Restitution total was $1300.00. (including court costs) By the time that I had paid $1000.00 of the restitution my accomplices combined had paid $100.00.

It has been 20 years since my conviction. I have broken no laws since then. I am no threat to society or even one person. I have fully paid my dues and then some.

(The above may or may not be true. Some will believe that it is, some won't. Don't care either way. It is posed to give an example for this debate.)

Why can't I own a gun for not only my self defense but also my families defense. None of which have ever committed any crime...much less a felony one.
I liked the fact that you have been honest.
I still do not support you "just getting" your 2A rights restored without question.
I will believe you are not a threat to society and will believe you have not committed any other felonies since your convictions.
But I also believe to have your rights reinstated, you should do more than "stay out of trouble". ie petition the courts for your rights. If granted, I have absolutely no issue with it.

*Waves to the crowd*

Hello. My name is Kal'Stang. I am a Felon. 2 Counts of 2nd Degree Burglary of a store when it was closed. No weapons was used or at any time held. If some one had been there no crime would have been committed as I am not a violent person. I did not contest my conviction. IE: I plead guilty. No plea deal was offered. I spent 3 months in the County Jail with 1 year probation and restitution to be paid. I had 2 accomplices. The Restitution was to be paid between the 3 of us. Restitution total was $1300.00. (including court costs) By the time that I had paid $1000.00 of the restitution my accomplices combined had paid $100.00.

It has been 20 years since my conviction. I have broken no laws since then. I am no threat to society or even one person. I have fully paid my dues and then some.

(The above may or may not be true. Some will believe that it is, some won't. Don't care either way. It is posed to give an example for this debate.)

Why can't I own a gun for not only my self defense but also my families defense. None of which have ever committed any crime...much less a felony one.

Have you gone to the court to have your rights reinstated?

"Correct" is a matter of opinion. Nothing makes your opinion more accurate than mine.

Well, nothing except that pesky statement in the Constitution, which asserts a right of the people to keep and bear arms, which forbids government from infringing upon this right, and which makes no provisions whatsoever to allow government to pick and choose to whom this right applies.

It is a fundamental right to protect our families as you say. A good place to start defending them is to at least make an honest attempt to keep guns out of the hands of felons. Felons lose their right to gun defense when they are convicted of a felony. Their rights end, where my rights as a law abiding citizen, begins. It's a good law and it should be enforced vigorously.

The problem is that not all felons are violent and should not be considered as such. Which is exactly what is happening when they are denied the Right to own a gun. There are a million more people out there just exactly like me in their circumstances.

And your rights are not affected in any way by allowing me to own a gun.

Why? Self defense of ones life and ones family is a fundemental Right.

The govt is justified in limiting the rights of felons

If an "appeal" must be "made" then it should be free since we are talking about a Fundemental Right. Other wise you will have someone that cannot afford it and they will be denied their Rights simply because they are not rich enough.

There should be assistance given to the indigent who cannot afford to appeal.

The govt is justified in limiting the rights of felons

What did I do to have my Right to own a gun removed? Who's life did/do I endanger? I was a non-violent offender. I did nothing to abuse the 2nd Amendment.

There should be assistance given to the indigent who cannot afford to appeal.

Free?

Back
Top Bottom