• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Illinois to Become 20th State to Legalize Marijuana.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Governor Quinn will be in Chicago to sign the Bill today. Illinois will now be the 20th State to legalize marijuana. Of course Illinois will also be the State with the Strictest laws over medical marijuana. Already they have put a limitation on how much one can get have or buy. Also more of a Doctor patient type of relationship. We will also be allowed to have 60 Dispensaries statewide. No one will be allowed to grown their own either.

Seems the state will be all up into those lives of people who need this service and treatment in correlation with Cancer treatments and other medical conditions. Thoughts upon the matter?

Illinois to become 20th state to legalize medical marijuana

The four-year trial program, to take effect Jan. 1, will be the nation's strictest, limiting medical cannabis for use to relieve 42 named ailments or diseases, including cancer, multiple sclerosis, AIDS and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a motor neuron malady also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, officials said.

Quinn is expected to sign the measure at 11:30 a.m. at the University of Chicago medical school's new Center for Care and Discovery, his office said.

The new law would let people purchase and possess up to 2.5 ounces of pot over two weeks. The prescribing doctor would have to have a longstanding, enduring medical relationship with the patient.

Patients would be allowed to buy the marijuana from 60 dispensing centers statewide and not be allowed to grow their own. Twenty-two growers would be authorized.

Users, growers and sellers would have to undergo criminal background checks. Dispensaries would be under round-the-clock camera surveillance.

Employers and landlords could bar its use in their workplaces and buildings.

Users stopped by police while driving would have to undergo field sobriety tests that could result in loss of driving privileges and the right to use the medical cannabis.

Read more: Gov. Quinn to make Illinois 20th state to legalize medical marijuana - UPI.com

Governor Quinn will be in Chicago to sign the Bill today. Illinois will now be the 20th State to legalize marijuana. Of course Illinois will also be the State with the Strictest laws over medical marijuana. Already they have put a limitation on how much one can get have or buy. Also more of a Doctor patient type of relationship. We will also be allowed to have 60 Dispensaries statewide. No one will be allowed to grown their own either.

Seems the state will be all up into those lives of people who need this service and treatment in correlation with Cancer treatments and other medical conditions. Thoughts upon the matter?

Illinois to become 20th state to legalize medical marijuana

The four-year trial program, to take effect Jan. 1, will be the nation's strictest, limiting medical cannabis for use to relieve 42 named ailments or diseases, including cancer, multiple sclerosis, AIDS and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a motor neuron malady also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, officials said.

Quinn is expected to sign the measure at 11:30 a.m. at the University of Chicago medical school's new Center for Care and Discovery, his office said.

The new law would let people purchase and possess up to 2.5 ounces of pot over two weeks. The prescribing doctor would have to have a longstanding, enduring medical relationship with the patient.

Patients would be allowed to buy the marijuana from 60 dispensing centers statewide and not be allowed to grow their own. Twenty-two growers would be authorized.

Users, growers and sellers would have to undergo criminal background checks. Dispensaries would be under round-the-clock camera surveillance.

Employers and landlords could bar its use in their workplaces and buildings.

Users stopped by police while driving would have to undergo field sobriety tests that could result in loss of driving privileges and the right to use the medical cannabis.

Read more: Gov. Quinn to make Illinois 20th state to legalize medical marijuana - UPI.com

I've long since agreed with the medicinal use of marijuana, I just have issues with recreational use and employment. If the employer doesn't have a problem with it, then I guess all is fine.

I agree with the 'field sobriety' rules also, as it can impair judgment while driving or using equipment.

One more state to cross off the list of place to visit or spend money in.

I've long since agreed with the medicinal use of marijuana, I just have issues with recreational use and employment. If the employer doesn't have a problem with it, then I guess all is fine.

I agree with the 'field sobriety' rules also, as it can impair judgment while driving or using equipment.

Heya GG
hat.gif
Yeah.....what Got Quinn to change his mind was coming across a Veteran who had some war wounds. He told Quinn how it helped reduce the pain. The Senate in Illinois passed it easily. It was the House that it barely got it passed. Many still think this leads to other drug use.

Still one can see with Illinois.....the state will be up all in their lives. Which means people's names will be on lists. Regardless if they are a patient of a doctor.

Heya GG
hat.gif
Yeah.....what Got Quinn to change his mind was coming across a Veteran who had some war wounds. He told Quinn how it helped reduce the pain. The Senate in Illinois passed it easily. It was the House that it barely got it passed. Many still think this leads to other drug use.

Still one can see with Illinois.....the state will be up all in their lives. Which means people's names will be on lists. Regardless if they are a patient of a doctor.

I've never believed it to be a gateway drug as many do.

Not excessive pleased with the government keeping track of who does or doesn't use, it should just be included with any other field sobriety checks that are done. I would be concerned that with 'registration' they can run a plate and see if you are medicinally using, and profile that way. Similar to the required notification to the state if you are diabetic, you get a different colored DL, and may be targeted for unnecessary pull overs just because.

One more state to cross off the list of place to visit or spend money in.

:lol: Heya Tigger. :2wave: What will you do once all other states join in to get their share of the money pie? Already 20 of them.

:lol: Heya Tigger. :2wave: What will you do once all other states join in to get their share of the money pie? Already 20 of them.

Probably end up being a hermit. I already live in a state that allows it medically, though there is no system in place for it as of yet - Massachusetts. I would love to get out of here for somewhere that it's not legal. It's kind of funny since I have the type of glaucoma that people often seek out marijuana to deal with.

I've never believed it to be a gateway drug as many do.

Not excessive pleased with the government keeping track of who does or doesn't use, it should just be included with any other field sobriety checks that are done. I would be concerned that with 'registration' they can run a plate and see if you are medicinally using, and profile that way. Similar to the required notification to the state if you are diabetic, you get a different colored DL, and may be targeted for unnecessary pull overs just because.

Well, they will know who is using what dispensary and what Doctors up here. Which what does it matter if they had a record and they now are dealing with some grade 4 cancer and will be passing. What are they even going to tell those that have to go thru Chemo treatments that they can't have more than 2 and half ounces in a two week period?

I don't know how many treatments a person may get in a 2 week period. But if they need it to stop the pain and nausea, I just don't see how they can have that restriction.

I don't now what grade of MaryJane they're pushing but......2.5 oz. per 2 weeks?? That's enough to give you a good case of lung problems over a short period of time.

Several years ago, the pot we smoked went for around $100 for 1/4 oz. It lasted the two of us about 3 weeks to a month.

Well, they will know who is using what dispensary and what Doctors up here. Which what does it matter if they had a record and they now are dealing with some grade 4 cancer and will be passing. What are they even going to tell those that have to go thru Chemo treatments that they can't have more than 2 and half ounces in a two week period?

I don't know how many treatments a person may get in a 2 week period. But if they need it to stop the pain and nausea, I just don't see how they can have that restriction.

I can't say that I know how much is necessary to alleviate any particular condition, but I would think some prescription type drugs could address the bulk, with the MM helping with the rest.

Probably end up being a hermit. I already live in a state that allows it medically, though there is no system in place for it as of yet - Massachusetts. I would love to get out of here for somewhere that it's not legal. It's kind of funny since I have the type of glaucoma that people often seek out marijuana to deal with.

Well..... my point is eventually every state will end up doing it. Opting out for the money to be made off, being humane. Still Illinois' will be the Strictest out of them all. Or is as of the moment.

Eventually they will end up legalizing all the way round. Just for that money.

I don't now what grade of MaryJane they're pushing but......2.5 oz. per 2 weeks?? That's enough to give you a good case of lung problems over a short period of time.

Several years ago, the pot we smoked went for around $100 for 1/4 oz. It lasted the two of us about 3 weeks to a month.

It's been decades since I've been near the stuff.... I have no clue as to cost. Back then, a joint could last several days for me, as I wasn't a big smoker even then.

It's been decades since I've been near the stuff.... I have no clue as to cost. Back then, a joint could last several days for me, as I wasn't a big smoker even then.

The stuff we were getting was 'supposedly' medical grade from dispensaries. probably not the best there was was but, pretty darn good.

It's like the Bluebell ice cream commercials.."We smoke all we can then we sell the rest" :smoking:

Well..... my point is eventually every state will end up doing it. Opting out for the money to be made off, being humane. Still Illinois' will be the Strictest out of them all. Or is as of the moment.

Eventually they will end up legalizing all the way round. Just for that money.

At taht point maybe I'll have to sneak into Sadi Arabia.

At taht point maybe I'll have to sneak into Sadi Arabia.

Why.....its better than Tobacco. More people are into not smoking these days. So its not like it really is going to affect those that don't smoke.

People that have respect for others wont be sitting there blowing the smoke into your face. One.....they don't want to be rude, and two they don't want to have to charge ya for the buzz if ya in an inclosed room. :lol:

Why.....its better than Tobacco. More people are into not smoking these days. So its not like it really is going to affect those that don't smoke.

So far as I'm concerned Pot, Cocain, Alcohol, tobacco, etc... are no better or worse than each other. None of them have an appropriate use in a non medically-controlled environment (aka Hospital, clinic, etc...)

People that have respect for others wont be sitting there blowing the smoke into your face. One.....they don't want to be rude, and two they don't want to have to charge ya for the buzz if ya in an inclosed room. :lol:

3. They really don't want the two rounds of .45ACP in the chest and one in the head that would follow. I do not all that crap on my property, in my car, or anyweher else that I control access to.

So far as I'm concerned Pot, Cocain, Alcohol, tobacco, etc... are no better or worse than each other. None of them have an appropriate use in a non medically-controlled environment (aka Hospital, clinic, etc...)

3. They really don't want the two rounds of .45ACP in the chest and one in the head that would follow. I do not all that crap on my property, in my car, or anyweher else that I control access to.

Well, I would think if any are your friends they would respect your wishes when around you and yours.

Like the piece stated.....looks like the state will be looking into those that are involved in it. To include running background checks.

Well, I would think if any are your friends they would respect your wishes when around you and yours.

Like the piece stated.....looks like the state will be looking into those that are involved in it. To include running background checks.

They aren't/won't be my friends if they're doing it anywhere. I've been down that road before.

I don't see a legitimate medical use for the stuff, personally; so ther's no reason for anyone to have it so far as I'm concerned.

Heya WCH.....today they said. 5 ounces for a Month. That they will have 3 state agencies overseeing this Pilot Program.

Also one has to be at least 18. What I find funny about that is. Its 21 to drink in Illinois.

Also they going to list down like 40 medical conditions that will be acceptable.

Heya WCH.....today they said. 5 ounces for a Month. That they will have 3 state agencies overseeing this Pilot Program.

Also one has to be at least 18. What I find funny about that is. Its 21 to drink in Illinois.

Also they going to list down like 40 medical conditions that will be acceptable.

Ahh... the ability to sell to friends. @about $400 per oz. that's nearly a living.

Ahh... the ability to sell to friends. @about $400 per oz. that's nearly a living.

Yeah, if its anything like Kush. Then 160 and up, a quarter. So some will be making money.
weedsmoking.gif

As an Illinois resident, I gotta say we are not too broke up about your decision.

Heya TG. :2wave: So what do you think about Illinois going ahead with this? What about them being the strictest in the Country with their regulation?

Plus I think they said those that have a record wont be allowed to be in the program.

Heya TG. :2wave: So what do you think about Illinois going ahead with this? What about them being the strictest in the Country with their regulation?

Plus I think they said those that have a record wont be allowed to be in the program.

It sounds really limited. Not the California thing where you just have to get a prescription from any quack.

In my town, the drug is already decriminalized- you get caught with a small amount and its just a fine.

I'm fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom