• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Illinois soldiers don't get to vote; but her inmates do!

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
i mean, people in prison have just made a mistake.... but those people in the military vote Republican.....

Over 35 counties in Illinois missed the deadline to mail military ballots to our soldiers defending America. But in Chicago, county election officials have taken special steps to ensure that no inmates at the Cook County Jail are unable to cast a ballot. The Chicago Board of Elections hand delivers ballots to the jail. They don’t even wait for the inmates to apply – they bring the applications with the ballots! Over 2,600 inmates have cast ballots so far – strikingly similiar to the 2,600 soldiers who will likely not recieve a ballot for the Nov 2 election.

Disgraceful does not begin to describe the Illinois Election system.

Please issue the study you quote when you say soldiers vote republican. I was under the impression it was as divided as the civilian population.

i mean, people in prison have just made a mistake.... but those people in the military vote Republican.....

Over 35 counties in Illinois missed the deadline to mail military ballots to our soldiers defending America. But in Chicago, county election officials have taken special steps to ensure that no inmates at the Cook County Jail are unable to cast a ballot. The Chicago Board of Elections hand delivers ballots to the jail. They don’t even wait for the inmates to apply – they bring the applications with the ballots! Over 2,600 inmates have cast ballots so far – strikingly similiar to the 2,600 soldiers who will likely not recieve a ballot for the Nov 2 election.

Have lived here in the state for 18 years. The structure and control of Illinois is morbidly fascinating. And come next Spring the new Mayor of Chicago will be Rahm Emanuel. :shock:

(corrupt but never boring....)

Thanks for posting this up. I wasn't able to find anything, but heard it on the radio. Here's a quote from the Illinois Constitution:

SECTION 2. VOTING DISQUALIFICATIONS
A person convicted of a felony, or otherwise under
sentence in a correctional institution or jail, shall lose
the right to vote, which right shall be restored not later
than upon completion of his sentence.

I see that information in your link, but why can't I find it mainstream? Verrrry strange. I actually have my doubts...

Please issue the study you quote when you say soldiers vote republican. I was under the impression it was as divided as the civilian population.

your impression is incorrect; members of the military pretty reliably lean Republican; which is why Gore fought to have them not be counted in Florida in 2000.

for example, in 2004: By an astonishing 72 to 17 percent margin, the active-duty military personnel who took the survey favored Bush over Kerry (Guard and Reserve respondents favored Bush, 73 to 18 percent)

I see that information in your link, but why can't I find it mainstream? Verrrry strange. I actually have my doubts...

it would be great if this turned out to be explainable. but frankly, that there is silence on it from the MSM makes me doubt in both directions.

your impression is incorrect; members of the military pretty reliably lean Republican; which is why Gore fought to have them not be counted in Florida in 2000.

for example, in 2004: By an astonishing 72 to 17 percent margin, the active-duty military personnel who took the survey favored Bush over Kerry (Guard and Reserve respondents favored Bush, 73 to 18 percent)

those inclined to vote democrat are also "dis" inclined to volunteer for military service. that's why liberals fly into a screaming fury any time anyone mentions linking service with the right to vote.

those inclined to vote democrat are also "dis" inclined to volunteer for military service. that's why liberals fly into a screaming fury any time anyone mentions linking service with the right to vote.

No, it's more a groupthink thing. Many soldiers like myelf were more republican leaning while in the service. It was part of the culture. But as I aged and thought more, I found it wasn't as simple as belonging to a party. I doubt I'm alone.

No, it's more a groupthink thing. Many soldiers like myelf were more republican leaning while in the service. It was part of the culture. But as I aged and thought more, I found it wasn't as simple as belonging to a party. I doubt I'm alone.

bolded all that matters. while in the service most people tend to vote republican.

most people that stay in the service longer than the initial military obligation also tend to stay republican leaning.

out of curiosity, how many years did you serve?

Stop please right there! Cough then why do I see myself as a Navy officer thought I was not fit for service because I take Addoral, oh and don't forget Redress because she is in the military.

From this more sound article it seems to be a little bit more difficult to determine, since a lot of them voted for Obama this coming election

AFP: Veteran McCain can't bank on US military vote

Cpwill you tend to only point to one election for your hypothesis that its more republican. However I pointed to this years election, and McCain didn't even get that many Military votes this election. From this Goggle Article, it provided that you are simply wrong in your hypothesis. That it is not divided on most issues. I would say it is just like the civilian population in retrospect.

And while recent polls show Bush beginning to stretch out his lead on Kerry, they also show a continued weariness with the war in Iraq. A poll released in the last week of August by Quinnipiac University in the key battleground state of Pennsylvania indicated that veterans and military families there overwhelmingly oppose the war: 54 percent to 31 percent.

Such polls continue to give Republican strategists fits because it tends to erode the conventional wisdom that the military vote is a Republican given.

“The military—either active duty or veterans—is going to take a much harder look at this election then they have in elections before, said Dian Mazur, a University of Florida law professor and former Air Force officer. “The choice is no longer a reflexive choice,” Mazur said. “It’s based on a real war, and the real use of military in a way that was somewhat abstract prior to 9/11.”

Military vote softens but doesn't shift - Politics - msnbc.com
I would say it is more divide on issues just because someone leans republican however it doesn't mean they beleive everything the republicans have to offer them. For example my friend that is a democrat votes for the person instead of the party line. I myself have voted for (R) Ted Poe, and a couple of the Republican candidates here in Texas, or I voted third party if I didn't know anything about the people running for the petition. I would have voted John McCain too, if he just hadn't picked Sarah Palin to be his running mate.

So in other words not every one who is Identify themselves as R's or D's votes the same way other R's or D's do in the first place.

Last edited:

boy, you sure assume a lot. without proof.

boy, you sure assume a lot. without proof.

18 years of experience in the military talking to many thousands of soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines is hardly "without proof". remind me again how much military experience you have????

18 years of experience in the military talking to many thousands of soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines is hardly "without proof". remind me again how much military experience you have????

anecdotal.......only.

liberals don't scream at the thought of tying voting ability to service because of the military, it's because people have the right to vote, unless their particular state, for specific reasons, denies them that right. and tying the ability to vote to service would require a constitutional amendment, imo, because a state doing so would be immediately challenged.

my brother was career navy, and my uncle served in vietnam as a marine. my father in law was a german pow. 3 of my very close friends served, 2 career. my husband attemted to enlist but was denied due to medical reasons. don't tell me liberals don't join the military.

well its certainly true that that one poll was a one-time snapshot of a shifting picture; but even in 2008 the military voted republican. the point was that they vote republican; suppressing military votes is to the advantage of democrats.

anecdotal.......only.

liberals don't scream at the thought of tying voting ability to service because of the military, it's because people have the right to vote, unless their particular state, for specific reasons, denies them that right. and tying the ability to vote to service would require a constitutional amendment, imo, because a state doing so would be immediately challenged.

call it what you want, but any time anyone mentions tying voting to service it is the liberals who complain first, loudest and most often.

my brother was career navy, and my uncle served in vietnam as a marine. my father in law was a german pow. 3 of my very close friends served, 2 career. my husband attemted to enlist but was denied due to medical reasons. don't tell me liberals don't join the military.

I never said liberals don't join the military. I said "most" and the voting statistics back me up. tell me, just out of curiosity, did your uncle serve in Vietnam voluntarily or was he drafted? how about your father-in-law?

call it what you want, but any time anyone mentions tying voting to service it is the liberals who complain first, loudest and most often.

I never said liberals don't join the military. I said "most" and the voting statistics back me up. tell me, just out of curiosity, did your uncle serve in Vietnam voluntarily or was he drafted? how about your father-in-law?

neither one was drafted. my uncle chose the marines becasue he knew he would be drafted, and he thought the marines to be a superior branch. my father in law joined because he thought it was his duty, as did his brother. he nearly lost his life in that pow camp.

and the idea of tying voting to service is ridiculous. i thought conservatives didn't want gov't to mandate stuff like that?

and the idea of tying voting to service is ridiculous. i thought conservatives didn't want gov't to mandate stuff like that?

I simply feel that voting is a priviledge that should be earned, instead of a right given without effort. the average person will always place more value on something they had to work for than on something given free. and it doesn't have to be military service. peace corp, whatever. something other than sitting on your ass collecting a check.

big conflict of interest to allow those dependent on the govt vote for the govt. as bad as allowing congress to vote themselves pay raises.

If you don't care enough to serve your country (in whatever fashion) you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

I simply feel that voting is a priviledge that should be earned, instead of a right given without effort. the average person will always place more value on something they had to work for than on something given free. and it doesn't have to be military service. peace corp, whatever. something other than sitting on your ass collecting a check.

big conflict of interest to allow those dependent on the govt vote for the govt. as bad as allowing congress to vote themselves pay raises.

If you don't care enough to serve your country (in whatever fashion) you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

i haven't joined the military, and i don't sit on my ass and collect a check. are you really saying i have no right to vote? or do you really mean that only welfare recipients should not be allowed to vote? or food stamp recipients? hell, let's just say all the old people on medicaid should not be allowed to vote. and then, let's rule out those on disability. and then, let's rule out all the students who go to school on gov't grants. who's next, stay at home moms?

I would venture to guess you're in the vast minority here.

i haven't joined the military, and i don't sit on my ass and collect a check. are you really saying i have no right to vote? or do you really mean that only welfare recipients should not be allowed to vote? or food stamp recipients? hell, let's just say all the old people on medicaid should not be allowed to vote. and then, let's rule out those on disability. and then, let's rule out all the students who go to school on gov't grants. who's next, stay at home moms?

what is your fascination with military (proving my point about liberals complaining 1st loud and long??)??

what part of serve your country is too hard for you to understand?

if you have been on welfare your whole life then yes, I think you shouldn't be allowed to vote.
if you are old and on medicaid and you have done nothing to serve your country during your entire life then yes, I think you shouldn't be allowed to vote
on disability? you can still serve, do admin work for the freakin peace corp or something
college students...see the thread on compulsory service, doesn't have to be military.
stay at home moms? If they stay at home and support a spouse who has served then they get to vote.

hell, volunteering in a damn soup kitchen would qualify as "serving"

I would venture to guess you're in the vast minority here.

sadly, you would be correct. THAT is what's wrong with this country these days. too many wanting something for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom